What's new

IGN Gives PS2 'The Thing' a 7.9 (1 Viewer)

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
A good movie to game tie in? I'm speechless.
No doubt it helps that the movie is question is 20 years old (20!?! Good God! I feel old...) and wasn't rushed to take advantage of a "hot" property...
A good TV to game tie-in and a good movie to game tie-in in the same week? Now THAT's impressive. :)

Eric Bass

Second Unit
Well I put a few more hours in. I'm reserving final judgement, however it is a lot more of a shoot em up game than I was hoping for so far. Not that it's a brainless 1st person shooter, but it's not quite as much of a horror/suspense type of game as I thought it would be. I only ever played one of the Resident Evil games, that being Res Evil II for the PS1, but that one had me jumping pretty good from time to time. So far I haven't done any jumping in this game. I don't want to spoil things for anyone so here's an example:

There are dead bodies littered all over the camps you explore. At first I didn't trust them one bit and was always paranoid that they weren't really dead so to speak. It seems as though they are nothing more than background however as I have yet to have a problem. You spend a lot of time shooting up little spider things and in general, if something is coming for you, you'll get a little video clip prevew of what it is and where it's coming from. So now, istead of creeping through rooms tense and worried, I'm just running around more or less care free.

Like I said though, I still am not deep into the game so I want to reserve final judement.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Eric,
That video clip
problem you mentioned does not happen very often the further you get into the game. I know what sections you are taking near the beginning of the game and once you get the next portion where you have to kill the "Walker" creatures
are quite tense and the video clips
are preety much rare from that point on.
Your not going to jump in The Thing. So far I haven't leaped out of my seat at anything in the game but I sure as hell have felt nervous wondering whats around the corner. Not too mention that your freaking squad members make you nervous as hell. They will start losing it in front of you and at times just all out transform into the Thing
. Allot of work went into the trust/fear system and can't say enough good things about it. Squad based survivor horror. I like it:emoji_thumbsup: :D

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Sorry to go off-topic here, but, speaking of movie-based games, what happened to the Terminator game that was supposed to be out this summer? I believe BrianB was working on it. . .

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Terminator: Dawn of Fate is coming out later this year.
The company making T:DoF recently acquired the license for Terminator: Rise of the Machines (the T3 movie-based game) and has "rights of refusal" on a T4 game.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Yup, that I was, and yup, that we did.
It's due out in late September on PS2 & Xbox. I believe EBWorld & BestBuy have preorders up & running :)
It should be getting reviewed in the mags etc sometime around then.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
What happened to Dancing Spidey, Romier?!?!
I miss him already! :)
And thanks for the info on the Terminator game, guys. Looking forward to it.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I gotta say I miss the Dancing Spidey too! That little fella had some pretty good moves.

No dancing in the forums? What is this, Footloose?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Anybody see all those promo commercials for the game last night on the SciFi channel? They played the Widescreen version of "The Thing" on and so they had the game promos on during most of the commercial breaks.. Pretty good tie-in I guess!

Looks like a great premis for the game though, surprised they didn't have a game sooner about this. I mean there already were "Aliens" games years ago..

Jay

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I'm enjoying it so far, though one of my soldiers went alien on me without me noticing anything odd about his behavior. I had even tested him and then kept him with me at all times.

Now another guy did get seperated and then would go with us anymore even though his trust seemed okay. He seemed willing to just freeze. He was one of the guys that does turn alien (I don't think it's optional at that point in the game - I was replaying the level after screwing it up too much), so I figured screw him and shot him. Wrong choice, lost the game because a team member died.

So I've yet to really experience major mistrust where shooting someone is essential I guess. But it's early for me.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
"I'm enjoying it so far, though one of my soldiers went alien on me without me noticing anything odd about his behavior. I had even tested him and then kept him with me at all times."

This is one really big flaw in the game that many reviewers have mentioned. It cheats. It is pre-scripted that certain charachters will turn into the Thing, so you can keep an eye on them at all times, give them a blood test, and two seconds after it turns out negative they will suddenly change into the Thing anyway.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
yeah, I saw my guy "Thing-Out" as I died and when I went back to give him the blood test he passed. Big flaw in the game to me. Do you think someone will come up with a mod for the PC version in the future? I've just rented it and thought if someone got ambitious and came up with their own sequel to this sequel it might be worth to pick up the PC version instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks