What's new

Ideal placement of surround speakers (1 Viewer)

GlennA

Auditioning
Hi everyone: I was recently reading the Dolby Guide to Home Theater Sound and had a question arise as to the best placement of my surround speakers. In the past, I had my surround speakers behind the listening area. This worked reasonably well with my old system, but now that I've upgraded my receiver (Denon AVR-4802,) moved to discreet surround sound, and also have a center rear speaker, I'm wondering if the placement of the surround speakers would be better to the side, as Dolby suggests in their guide. For those of you who have tried both, I'd welcome your comments. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Cheers,
Glenn

Michael Roderiques

Stunt Coordinator
The orginal specs for Dolby and THX was to have the "rear" speakers at or slightly above the ear level at the listening position to the sides (left/right) of the listener.

joe rizzuto

Stunt Coordinator
i have tried both and prefer the speakers above and to the sides and facing each other. i use direct radiating speakers.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
If your going to run your EX/ES then yes you will definitely want to have the surrounds at the side and the EX/EX directly behind the main seating.

Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks