What's new

I will never hear a better system in my lifetime than this one...(seriously) (1 Viewer)

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,
I have been a big fan of audio reproduction for many, many years. This past week I was fortunate to have the chance to both visit the Martin Logan speaker facility in Lawrence, Kansas and also spend some time at Gayle Sanders house and experience his personal system.
I say experience because that is truly what it was. His main speakers are a pair of Martin Logan Statement E2's. As a pair they sell for seventy thousand dollars. Powering them were two Theta monoblocks each rated to (as I recall) 400 watts. The associated electronics ranged from a Theta control unit, Theta CD player, top of the line Sony SACD player, (some more stuff I can't quite remember) and cables that cost more than my Honda.
The room itself was custom made for the ultimate in sound reproduction. It was about 45' long, 25' wide' and 15' tall. It was treated with acoustic sound panels and tube traps to help with overall absorbtion and diffusion. For a picture you can actually go to the Martin Logan web site (www.martinlogan.com) and look up the information on the Statements. The pictured room is his basement.
Suffice it to say that the system was incredible. I cannot put into words what I heard. It was some sort of audio epiphany. 'Wow' does not even come close. The electrostatic design for all sound down to 200Hz allowed for an amazing experience. While the 16 woofer drivers added that little extra omph. The frequency response of the statements is rated from 18Hz to 22.5 KHz at + or - 2db up to over 120db. I felt bass roll through my body. Honestly I think it still is.
If you ever, ever get the chance to experience the Martin Logan Statements take it. Run at it. Jump on it. It is amazing.
- Dave

Miles_W

Second Unit
Dave,
I am very envious of your experience. I have been a big Martin Logan Fan since the late 80's and managed to aquire my first pair in 95, I have had 3 pairs and a centre at on time or another and I highly doubt that another type of speaker will grace my doorstep! ( Now I am just waiting for Ling_W to grace your post and give you the speech about bass discontinuity :D :D :D
Miles
ps. How did you arrange to go listen. There is no where in Canada with a pair of statements...

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I had a similar experience a few weekends ago, but with a very different system - a $20K completely DIY SET/horn system. 1/2W per channel, 108dB Oris horns. DIY turntable, DIY phono stage, DIY preamp and amps. Simply amazing. I have no idea what an equivalent system would cost in retail dollars. I've seen pre-built speakers using the same horns (which cost $4K in kit form) retail at $12K.

John Desmond

Stunt Coordinator
Dave, never say never:) Really, sounds like you had a great time. Having heard many MLs, I'm not surprised that Mr. Sanders personal system is awesome. Wouldn't mind hearing it myself!

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
$70,000 for a pair of speakers??? Wow. For that kind of money give me a Porsche any day :D I wouldn't mind experiencing that system though.
Funny side note: a friend of mine has a coworker who solemnly stated, "I can't imagine a system sounding better than mine," about his Bose cube system!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I wonder how far his jaw would drop if he heard this one.

ling_w

Second Unit
Never heard the Statements, but does the Bass sound disconnected from or have integration problems with the ES panel. And is the bass unbearably overpowering?

randy bessinger

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't think from his statements that he felt the bass was disconnected or overpowering while he was listening to the Statements.

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
Funny side note: a friend of mine has a coworker who solemnly stated, "I can't imagine a system sounding better than mine," about his Bose cube system!
He would probably say that "my Bose sounds almost as good for less than 3% of the price of the ML system."

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Dave:

Since I don't live to far away from Lawrence where is the speaker facility located? Do you have a number there were I could call someone?

Parker

erikk

Stunt Coordinator
I'd road trip to see it. I've been a longtime fan of Martin Logan and just wish I could afford them. I've been constantly looking at their website just to drool and thought the listening room was AWESOME.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I've auditioned the Odysseys but only drooled over the pictures and specs of the statements.

He could charge money to ppl for auditions. I know I'd pay $10 for an hour of listening.

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor
Parker, as a distrubutor that carries them and having many from our company visit them i would be glad to try to assist you by providing you some inside contact numbers if you like email me.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Well Hi Brett! Good to see another K-Stater!!! :D
I thought the same thing about the Martin Logan place in Lawrence. I try to dodge that town as much as possible!! Stupid Jayhawks! :D

ling_w

Second Unit
Miles,

I'm as just asking if it sounds that way, since I've only heard those characteristics in other ML's.

And if Fabio got the Statements to do some serious pumping, I assume it is insanely overbaring.

Miles_W

Second Unit
No Worries Ling, just seems like we keep meeting in Martin Logan posts... you on one side and me on the other :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks