What's new

I went shopping.. Looking for advice (1 Viewer)

Hello All!!!

I'm new to this board but from what I've seen so far I'm very impressed. It's nice to meet everyone...

I've recenly been looking to get a home theatre system and so far this is what I think.

I' have about $2000 to spend and I'm having a huge problem of making my mind up on what I want to get. I've narrowed it down to the marantz 5300, Integra 5.3, or a Yamaha model that compares... From what I've learned so far the biggest thing to do is try and match the right speakers to the right system. Hahaha just one of many variables. The speakers that I've actually can hear in my area and in my price range are B&W, Paradigm, and Def Tech.

I'm looking for any advice, help, and suggestions.

Looking foward to hearing from you and learning more in this new adventure of audio crazyness... just wish I had more money to spend the Macintosh system I say was awesome

Can't wait to hear back from you...

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.
Real Name
Alex Bischoff
Could you be more specific on what you need to buy with the $2,000? Just loudspeakers? Loudspeakers and a receiver? Loudspeakers, a subwoofer, and a receiver?

---
Alex Bischoff

I looking to buy a complete system.. fronts, center, rears, and sub. I want somthing that will do music and movies 50/50. The B&W do voice really great but they don'y rock out and party as much as I would like. So far I think I'm leaning towards the Def Techs with either a yamaha or Integra. I like the Marantz as well but I'm not sure what will happen when I put it on Def Techs.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Too bad you don't live in the Washington, DC area. Myer-Emco audio sells Marantz receivers and Def. Tech. speakers. Their place would be a great location to demo the gear.

Real Name
Alex Bischoff
You're looking for "a complete system.. fronts, center, rears, and sub.", yet you also mention receivers in your message..

So, that means you're looking for a complete [loudspeaker] system along with a receiver, right?

---
Alex Bischoff

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Since you intend to have a 50/50 music/HT ratio, which I think is a bit more music than many here tend to listen to on their HT systems, I think you should go for the most "musical" system you can get. They'll all sound good for HT. IMHO, the way to go would be the Marantz 5300 receiver ($600) and 1) B&W, 2) Paradigm, 3) Def Tech. With a budget of $2k, I'd fore go a sub at this time and get better speakers initially.

B&W 602 S3 (main) $600
B&W LCR60 S3 (center) $350
B&W 601 S3 (rear) $450

With the Marantz receiver at $600 this brings you right in at $2000. You'll may still need stands for the 602s as well. If you go with Paradigm try:

Monitor 7 (main) $700
CC 370 (center) $350
Mini Monitors (rear) $370

With the Marantz receiver, this comes to $2020. The reason I suggested the Monitor 7 over the Monitor 5 is the difference in the price of the speakers is about the same as a decent pair of stands.

Without initially getting a sub, the Paradigm system would give you better LFE and more bass slam than the B&Ws.

I think Def Techs are great for HT but personally, I've never cared for them for music.

Later, when you have additional money, add an SVS or Hsu sub.

Thanks to all for the suggestions I appreciate the help.. Couple of questions
Why would you go for the Marantz over the Integra??
also are Paradyme and B&W very present speakers??
if so I'm kinda wondering what is middle range in between a very present or a very warm speaker..
and I'm looking for somthing that will help to move people up on there feet in a party situation
HAHA I just want everything.. wish I had more money :)

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I would go for the Marantz over the Integra because I prefer a warmer sound which the Marantz has.

What do you mean by present? More efficient/louder? More detailed in the high end? An overall more forward sound?

The Paradigm models I noted are more efficient and thus a bit louder than the B&Ws. I've personally think the B&W's are a brighter speaker and the Paradigms are a bit more neutral.

They are both excellent speakers and have large followings on this and other forums. They do have different characteristics and the best thing to do is A/B them for yourself, preferably being powered by the same receiver and source.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks