I Need Some Adive!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Paul-R, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Paul-R

Paul-R Auditioning

Hi

I have been looking into getting a surround sound system lately but I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for! I have been looking in stores and on ebay but I'm just not sure what is a good deal! I am looking at spending around $500 on a system. What is a good quality system for that kind of money? Thanks

Paul

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I suppose by system you mean all the speakers, surround sound receiver, DVD player and subwoofer? If so, then you'll probably want to look at home theater in a box systems that contain everything. Otherwise you'll need to separate pieces which may take more effort and may require getting them from different places to meet your budget.

3. rob-h

rob-h Second Unit

I dont think a non HTIB will be under 500 even used.............

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    You can get surround receivers at Costco for $200 or a bit under and a DVD player for likely less than $70. They have had a (10 inch KLH) powered sub for $100. They have also had small KLH or similar speakers with brackets that could make a price of less than $500. Not easy though and they may not have the stuff at the same time.

5. rob-h

rob-h Second Unit

That system would be worse then a HTIB.................

6. John S

John S Producer

Buy an Onkyo 770/780 system, sell the sub that comes with it, and get a Dayton audio 12" sub deal for $139.00. Find a decent cheap DVD player.

At some point in the future take off the supplied rears, move the fronts to the rears and upgrade the entire front soundstage.

The Onkyo HTIB's really are just full featured individual components that are bundled together.

7. rob-h

rob-h Second Unit

The Onkyo 770/780 fronts are a little large to be wall mounted in the rear's! Just upgrade the whole package eventually. Only problem is that you will then get the urge to upgrade the reciver and the Onkyo will move to your bedroom or somewhere else[​IMG]

The 770/780 is the best sounding HTIB in that price range. really even in higher price ranges.

8. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

9. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    That's a great link, Martice. I found a couple of those articles useful already, and I was just browsing.