What's new

I need help with my PB-10 ISD! (1 Viewer)

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
Edward, thanks for posting. I just asked my manager (I'm currently at work), but he told me that if I set the dynamic control at maximum, there will be minimum compression, and if I set it to minimum, there will be maximum compression.

It's confusing the hell out of me, to be honest with you, but it does explain why I'm experiencing a lack of dynamics (or very deep bass) at loud volumes when I set the control to minimum. I mean, I couldn't have reached the limits of my PB-10 as it was a relatively soft volume.:) Cool, I'm going to try out a few scenes tonight and I'll let you know how it goes.

I just wanted to ask you, since you know what movies are great for bass, what do you think of the film Underworld? I know you've said that it's recorded hot, but what do you think about the quality of bass on offer? Loud? Low? What are your thoughts.

Do you think it would be worth it to buy it as demo material? And is it a good film? Thanks.

--Sincerely,

SteveCallas

Second Unit
I know you didn't ask me, but I actually fell asleep in the theater watching Underworld, it was that bad. If you want a decent film with good bass, you have many options. Here are a few:

Incredibles
U 571
Matrix 1, 2, 3
The Haunting
Titan AE
Jurassic Park 1, 2, 3

GregBe

Second Unit
Vaughan,

I would suggest you pick up something like Blade 2. The reason is it not only has one of the top bass tracks, but also is excellent with both Dolby Digital and DTS. You shouldn't be able to hear that dramatic of a difference going from DTS to DD.

Have fun
Greg

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
I know what the problem was. The DTS soundstrack was unaffected when I changed the DRC settings. In other words, DTS had no compression, no limiting of very low frequencies.

Because I was using maximum compression on DD soundtracks (which, oddly enough, was the "mimimum setting" in the control menu), so I assumed that the DTS track had lower, stronger bass, when it in fact did not.

I tried the Matrix, the subway scene, and when the train is passing Neo and Trinity, I could feel it, to a degree, as well as hear it. I couldn't before. Cool.:)

I bought Underword yesterday, so I'll try that out as soon as I can. I just wanted to ask some of you, with the Matrix, in the dojo scene, when Morpheus flips Neo and he spins and hits the ground, are you supposed to feel it?

Is there deep 20hz bass in the fight sequences at all? And what about Reloaded? Or Revolutions? I've been to a number of websites, including SVS, but they don't elaborate on the scenes too much.

--Sincerely,

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Revolutions has some great bass. Especially the 1st water bubble towards the end of the film. It makes my room feel like it is warping around me. Glad to hear you fixed the DRC problem. Just make sure you properly calibrate your sub with Avia and an SPL. Your sub could wind up making mids and highs sound like a muddy miss if you dont calivrate properly. I would also recomend The Incredibles for an excllent soundtrack.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Underworld is actually a guilty pleasure of mine. It's a fine example of its genre and it's a check-your-brain-at-the-door popcorn fun type of movie. Can't argue with Beckinsale in leather, either. :)

The bass in Underworld is very strong, but it's not terribly deep. Most of it checks in around 30 Hz, which is fine for demo material.

The soundtrack itself is quite loud overall - you will reach a satisfactory playback level at a rather low master volume setting.

I think there are better DVDs for demo material, but I wouldn't hesitate to cue up Underworld for a demo - lots of surround activity too; an immersive soundtrack overall.

PQ is good - a touch soft but many of the scenes were shot at night and look fabulous on a properly calibrated display that has good blacks, shadow detail, and accurate grayscale tracking at lower IRE.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
As mentioned, the water bubble in Matrix 3, or if you really want to see if you can feel bass, buy the DTSES version of The Haunting. There are two parts in that movie that have very loud bass at 20hz and below. I don't think you can find anything that is both lower and louder.

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
Thanks everyone.

Ed, just a question; what, in your opinion, is the best film for extreme bass (which is a good film as well)?

And what do you think would be the best film for constant low bass that you can feel? Thanks. I really have appreciated your advice in this thread, as I have from everyone else.

You know, I'm really glad that I've sorted this problem out. Although I might not feel the effects in movies to the extent that others on this forum would, I nevertheless am feeling bass, and that makes me very happy.

So thanks again. I think I will buy another PB-10 in a few months time. Having another one in the other corner will seriously make my day.:D

--Sincerely,

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
Steve, thanks for pointing that out. I think I will buy the Matrix collection set (10 disks), since it's got the remastered version of the first film. That should look nice.

Have you personally seen/heard the new transfer/soundtrack of the Matrix, and if so, could you tell me what you think? Thanks.

--Sincerely,

SteveCallas

Second Unit
I haven't been able to watch the remastered picture in the first matrix, but I have seen screen caps, and it is noticably better. I highly doubt that the sound mix could be much better. I would buy the first remastered Matrix if it was sold individually, as would many others I'm sure, but I won't pay $80 or whatever it is for the set. Parts 2 and 3 are near perfect in terms of picture and sound already.

I'll again reiterate, The Haunting DTS-ES, bass doesn't get any better. And for continuous bass throughout the movie that also goes pretty low, The Incredibles.

Check out this thread for more.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=144887

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
One thing I found with the Matrix, is that in the fight scenes, like in the subway (in fact, not only in the subway, but in other parts, like when Morpheus is fighting agent Smith), there is sort of deep bass (not incredibly deep or anything, but it's present) in the punches and kicks.

At first I thought it was really, really unrealistic. I mean, the part where Smith punches Neo really hard is taking it too far. But I like it now. It makes things exciting. Now in Reloaded or Revolutions, is it the same thing? Is there deep bass in the punches and kicks in the fight scenes?

I know some people have said that in Revolutions, the water explosions have nice bass. In the fight scenes, is that all? What about the rest of the fight? Superpunch?

--Sincerely,

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Now I'm confused as to whether you own the movie or not. Do you own it and find that you aren't hearing / feeling bass at these parts, or do you not own it and are trying to determine whether you should buy it?

MichaelPR

Second Unit
The bass is solid. But not every kick and punch or landing is going to cause your room to explode. And if it does your sub is not properly calibrated. Remember if you properly calibrate with Avia and the SPL you will be getting accurate bass reproduction. Also SVS web page offers a good resource on where to find some deep bass passages. http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faq.htm#moviedemos

MichaelPR

Second Unit
And don't just buy movies for bass. Buy the movies you love and enjoy the entire frequency range of the soundtrack.

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
Now I'm confused as to whether you own the movie or not. Do you own it and find that you aren't hearing / feeling bass at these parts, or do you not own it and are trying to determine whether you should buy it?

Sorry, I don't own Revolutions or Reloaded. I own the first Matrix. I just wanted to know what the bass was like in the fight sequences. Like the Burly Brawl. I wanted to know if the bass in the fight scenes were as unrealistic (but still cool) as in the first Matrix.

--Sincerely,

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Yeah the bass is just as good if not better. One thing you'll notice is that the music itself in parts 2 and 3 has a lot more bass and bass sweeps.

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
I remember seeing Revolutions at the Imax. I was a little disappointed with the film, but the sound was amazing. I just wanted to know, at the end of the Superbrawl, when Neo punches Smith into the rock, is there deep bass there? I kind of remember there being bass you could feel when Neo punches Smith so hard?

I don't know. Thoughts?

--Sincerely,

Victor Ferguson

Stunt Coordinator
Vaughan,
Have you aquired a spl meter yet?
Have you used the spl meter and FR charts to make sure phase is good.
Have you plotted your mains and subs to get a good crossover?
Have you used the spl meter to determine best placement for flattest response.
Have you purchased avia or found another way to properly calibrate the sub?
Until you do those things your not really hearing the material the way its intended to be heard. I would put the items above on my short list if you really want good bass.
If max bass is more important than sound quality or integration just turn your gain way up and you'll hear all sorts of bass in the stuff that you listen too.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Yeah what Victor said. You want to make sure that you are getting the flatest possible response. And the only way to do that is chart the frequency response. Your stuff might sound great now. But with out taking the steps Victor noted there is a good chance your are getting some bloated bass.

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
Look. I know all that. I'm in the process of buying the necessary equipment, I just asked a simple question, that's all. At the moment I'm happy with my PB-10.

So with regards to the question I asked before, is there any deep bass when Neo punches Smith into the crater (towards the end of the Superbrawl?) as I think there was some pretty deep bass at the Imax.

--Sincerely,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.