What's new

I love the EWOKS! (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
To many SW fans this is as blasphemous as proclaiming your love for panning and scanning! My inspiration was that I noticed the thread complaining about those posting unnecessarily, too often just to boost their post count and thought, "Hey, why can't I join in the fun!" ;)
Anyway, I was watching 'Return of the Jedi SE' yesterday, and realised, that I really, really like the Ewoks. They're so cute, and they speak a different language, unlike Jar Jar, which is you know, cool!:D Also, they're far more intelligent than Jar Jar, and they actually HELP in the battle against the Empire!... you know when that cute widdle guy runs up and jumps on the speeder as a distraction! :emoji_thumbsup:
Also, I have a question. Is that grey dude in love with R2D2? If so, damn, thats just wrong! Or does he just like his shiny suit?
Hey, why not rename the forum to 'Star Wars Forum with occasional posts about home theater!' Its a bit of a mouthful, but wholly representative of the principle thread content. :D
So, in conclusion, Ewoks a bunch of muppets? I think not! :D

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
No I'm with you. I like everything about ROTJ movie. It has serious moments and menacing villains. It has the magic. Unlike TPM which is @)#"":;@*ùù%%! :D

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, not sure if this won't be moved to a Star Wars thread, but I agree. Finally Paul and I agree.:D There's nothing about the Ewoks that should be despised. They are not portrayed as bumbling idiots ala Jar-Jar. They are portrayed as little creatures who overcome their shortcomings(pun intended), and unlike Jar-Jar they actually help in a meaninful way and willingly and purposefully. Some of the best moments in Star Wars came in ROTJ. I've always maintained that many people hold ROTJ in less regard for the simple fact that they didn't care for the Ewoks. I'd put ROTJ right up there with Star Wars as being very, very good. ESB is the best being exceptional.
I just wish Boba Fett was killed in a more dignified manner. My only criticism.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
What I've never understood is that the people who hate the Ewoks love the "Yub Nub" song at the end of the original version and vice-versa. I personally think that this song is the annoying aspect of these adorable teddy bear creatures, and I'm glad they changed it in the Special Editions.

Can someone explain this to me?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't mind them or the song, so ya got me.
The thing I don't like about the Ewoks is Lucas's reason for including them. It can't be discussed on this politics-free forum, but it has to do with something really annoying Lucas said during the Gungan battle on the Phantom Menace disc. :rolleyes

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the Ewoks were originally supposed to be Wookies. But since a Wookie was a central character, he changed it. Thought it would take away from Chewbacca.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I'm guessing that Lucas was inspired to make the Ewoks by his own reading of LOTR. You know, how the big evil villian overlooks the "little people" who then contribute to his downfall.
I don't like the "baggy suit" aspect of the execution of the Ewoks, but the concept I like.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I’m also one of those who prefer "Yub Nub" over the new music. I don’t know how to explain this but the new music sounds too much like a prefabricated sugarcoated Disney inevitable end music! The "Yub Nub" is more organic. The Ewoks sing it and at the end it has a very nice touch which is that the same song fades into choral voices. It makes it like it has become a legend! Man I love the original original trilogy!

Chris Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
I just wish Boba Fett was killed in a more dignified manner. My only criticism.
Same here man. That is why I was encouraged to find out that... He didn't die!!!:D
Actually, what it is, see, is I actually read some SW books.:b I don't normally read books like this, but the Bounty Hunter Trilogy caught my interest, and I had just read The Grapes of Wrath so I was in the mood for some fluff. Well, that book begins with the esteemed Mr. Fett finally blasting his way out of the belly of the beast, but not after it nearly kills him and dissolves most of his suit. In fact, it is the suit that helps him stay alive. Just a little fun fact, that is the way I prefer to think of it when watching ROTJ. It helps me stay attached to one of my favorite characters of all time.
I mean, you never actually see him die, so why not, huh?
I always liked the ewoks, too. I never knew some SW fans didn't like them until I had a roommate that loathed them. Boy was I naive.:) Now wookiees might have been a little cooler, but we'll never know. And as for the "cuteness" factor, what about the Jawas? Even those shady little sheisters are pretty damn cuddly.
"Wooteedee!!"

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Paul, I was surprised that you didn't mention the two Ewok movies that came out. I want both of those almost as much as I do the OT. I do hope they are released too.

Glenn

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Boba Fett is a very minor character. He's more like a glorified extra. His popularity was a freaky pop culture phenomenon. There was no reason for Lucas to care about how he died.

I remember seeing some TV show about Star Wars where Lucas showed early sketch ideas for Ewoks. They weren't really wookies, but kind of similar. He went through many different designs for them until he came up with the Ewoks in the movie.

Many people, myself included, surmise that he made them cute and cuddly so that they would be more marketable. So much money was made from toys, lunchboxes, etc, that it could very well have been in his mind, if at least subconsciously.

I don't "hate" the Ewoks, they just annoy me to no end. They are cute. I hate cute. They're like little hairy Meg Ryans. Blech. And it's just weird to have these dark battles going on and see my little sister's old teddy bear pop up behind a bush and throw rocks at a walking cannon.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Mike, I would agree with you. Fett is not a major character, nor was he intended to be. So how he died didn't matter a whole lot. But I was one of the many that dug Boba. So I wanted a more fitting death.

As for the Ewoks, in interviews with Leonard Maltin on the THX Original VHS trilogy, he mentions that they were supposed to be Wookies. I've heard him say this before. So that's where I got that from.

Dave Dugan

Stunt Coordinator
Listen for the little lick of the Ewok march (twice) in Palpatine's throne room if you want to catch Williams' leitmotif reinforcement of the true source of the Emperor's downfall...

I'm such a nerd...

-Dave

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Return Of The Jedi was my favourite of the Star Wars movies and I like the ewoks. I think they are funny. I love when one of them was admiring chewbacca's fur.

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
I love the Ewoks, Ive always loved them, ever since I first saw ROTJ. I love Jar Jar too, I dont get what all the whining's about.

Dave Dugan

Stunt Coordinator
Jeffrey:

OK, this is all from memory, as I haven't actually watched the movie in over a year.

I believe the scene in question comes right after Leia has first met Wicket. We cut to the throne room and Vader arrives via elevator (repulsorlift?). Palpatine turns and has a brief conversation with Vader that is significant and echos the very theme I'm inexpertly pointing out, but I can't remember what they say.

Anyway, twice during this scene we hear the three opening notes of the Ewok march played on toy piano , but at a slower tempo to match the Emperor theme playing at the time...

As I said, I may be misremembering some detail, but I swear Lucas and Williams telegraphed the primary cause (go on, argue with me) of Palpatine's doom.

I'm too lazy to get out the VHS...

-Dave

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
As for the Ewoks, in interviews with Leonard Maltin on the THX Original VHS trilogy, he mentions that they were supposed to be Wookies. I've heard him say this before. So that's where I got that from.
If that's true, that would have been pretty cool. I remember reading that Han Solo rescued Chewbacca when Han was a pilot for the Empire and Chewbacca was a slave. He freed a bunch of wookies with Chewbacca's help. Chewie felt he owed him back, so they ended up teaming up. Because Han acted against the Empire, he became a fugitive and eventually a smuggler.

If all this is so, it would have made for a more solid story if Han and Chewie are on Endor rounding up a bunch of wookies to fight with them. The wookies would obviously recognise one of their own, and respect Han as a friend. This would make more sense than those Ewoks thinking C3PO was god.

And no, the Yub Nub song isn't cool. Anything that is referred to as "Yub Nub" is awful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks