1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DVD Review I Love Lucy Colorized Collection DVD Review

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Matt Hough, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    I had long assumed it was for budgetary reasons. If I recall correctly, I had even read somewhere something to the effect that to meet their budget for whatever fiscal period, Disney had to cut color from one of their productions, and THE ABSENT MINDED PROFESSOR (1961) ended up being it.

However, this article bears out Roxy's explanation:
    https://www.waltdisney.org/blog/absent-minded-professor-and-goo-flew

It now occurs to me it might have been THE SHAGGY DOG (1959) that was shot in Black and White due to budgetary constraints.

CHEERS! :)

2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Sleeping Beauty underperformed at the box-office, so Disney had to tighten its belts during that period.

3. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    How many cels of the original stick figure animated credits ever turned up?

4. Waldo Lydecker

Waldo Lydecker Auditioning

David N. Heathman
    Almost any new addition to this classic series is something to celebrate...Form usually follow function and if this colorized set draws in and enchants a new audience...so be it. Pealing an interest, perhaps they’ll delve further into the series history and discover black and white origins...???

Ron1973 likes this.
  5. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Not to me. I got a review solicitation from CBS/Paramount a month or two ago for this set but passed on it. I had watched its original broadcasts and was disheartened by its lack of laughs and signs that the old chemistry and timing weren't there any more. I just didn't feel like experiencing that disappointment again.

6. rmw650

rmw650 Second Unit

Richard W
  7. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    I didn't know until now that CBS was releasing Lucy's abortive '86 ABC effort-- it seems now that we'll have practically all of Lucy's major comedies on DVD (I Love Lucy, The Lucy Show, Here's Lucy, and very soon, Life with Lucy)!

Blimpoy06 and cherisland like this.
  8. sjbradford

sjbradford Stunt Coordinator

sjbradford
    Yep. You said “practically all”. When LWL is released, what will still be missing?

9. sjbradford

sjbradford Stunt Coordinator

sjbradford
    I felt the same way when I watched “Lucy Calls the President”, after having not seen it since its original broadcast. She had a lot of her “Lucy Show/Here’s Lucy” cast with her, along with her original writers. But it was a real letdown from a creative standpoint. It seemed dated and corny and cheap-looking.

But I’m happy for the die-hard Lucy fans that they’ll have these episodes. I’ll stick with “I Love Lucy” and selected “Lucy Show” episodes.

10. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Good question-- poor choice of words on my part; we will have all of her comedies on DVD (unfortunately, too late to edit original post).

11. Message #72 of 72 Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I feel like Lucy was caught in a trap with that show. Three hit shows in a row (Mary Tyler Moore and Bob Newhart could only muster two), and she thought she could do the same thing again and be successful again. Stone Pillow was one thing since that was just a one-off TV movie; doing a downbeat hour-long drama might have been even less successful. When I finally saw the show on [email protected]'s mid-1990s marathon inclusive of all five Lucy shows, the sameness is the one thing I noticed most of all, both compared to Lucy's earlier CBS shows and its 1980s contemporaries. I don't regret watching the one episode I saw, but it felt like a Xerox of a Xerox of a Xerox except that now it was printed on 100% recycled paper. Falling on your face is funny in your 40s or even in your 50s, but at 75 it evokes fear of injury, not laughter. A more age-appropriate role might have made the show less of a failure, but it still would have ended with her death anyway.

But it is ironic that this is a CBS release when the actual CBS network, the home of the first four Lucy shows*, didn't want it the first time and NBC didn't need it when they were riding high with hit after hit.**

*If you count The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour as a separate series.
    **Even though some of them now play like D.A.R.E. rallies with jokes.

Ron1973 and bmasters9 like this.