What's new

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
If we're talking the weak, pastel colored offerings from the 80's, I'll pass, too. I've saw some really good work on recent efforts such as this. Nobody is forcing you to buy the colorized versions and the b&w option isn't being taken away. I don't see why people get so up in arms.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Audio versions don't change the text.

Have you ever listened to audio books? And are you seriously telling me that when an author writes something to be read he imagines someone else could be reading it to them? And Reader's Digest condensing books isn't changing the text, either, it's eliminating/editing it

Where did I say it's ok to alter the audio?

Where did I say "you" did. I said "rarely anyone" complains about it or even cares if they do. And they do.

You can keep complaining and stating your objections to colorizing anything, but as you know, your feelings about it don't seem to be affecting those who are still doing it and providing it to those who enjoy it. The only control you probably have about it is to view it or not view it. Since it's ongoing, I doubt it's going to stop.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
If you mean deleting some pages isn't altering, fine. But there are quite a few examples of elimination.
Deleting text is not an inherent characteristic of audio books.

why should I care about your feelings about it?

You did a lot of responding to me for someone who doesn't care what I say.

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
i never watch old black & white movies that have been colorized. But I did buy the 2-disc Holiday Inn (1942) with Bing and Fred that features both the original b&w musical and the colorized version. The colorization is excellent and I have to admit I prefer it. I do think musicals are usually better in color!

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Deleting text is not an inherent characteristic of audio books.

And its not inherent that all b&w productions are colorized either. You do like to obfuscate the questions.

You did a lot of responding to me for someone who doesn't care what I say.

If you look at what I wrote, I asked "why." You're making an assumption about whether I care or not and and then making a statement rather than answering the question asked, More obfuscation.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
And its not inherent that all b&w productions are colorized either.
When did I say otherwise? When it's done, it's wrong. When it isn't, it's not wrong.

You're making an assumption about whether I care or not
If you didn't care, you wouldn't have spent all this effort responding to me. I made a rational conclusion.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
^^^

"When it's done, it's wrong. When it isn't, it's not wrong."

That's not a fact. It's your opinion.

In the case of your second response, that's just more obfuscation that has nothing to do with the original "why" question I asked...and I think you know it.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
^^^

"When it's done, it's wrong. When it isn't, it's not wrong."

That's not a fact. It's your opinion.
It's not my "opinion" that the original look of the film has been altered.

nothing to do with the original "why" question I asked.
Your actions are clear, and contradict you questioning your own motives.

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
^^^

The only reason you keep writing your non sequiturs must be that you feel a need to always have the last word.
Prove me wrong.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Lucy and myself are confused as to how this tangent began and where it is going.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
As filmgazer and mrz7 say on 8/6 there was;

CELEBRATE FOR THE QUEEN OF COMEDY'S BIRTHDAY

"I Love Lucy roars into theatres on Lucille Ball’s birthday with 5 full-length colorized episodes, and REDHEAD TALES, a brand-new featurette on how it’s colorized. Experience big screen laughs and receive an exclusive mini-poster!"

"Fathom Events and CBS will present 5 uncut, full-length colorized episodes on Lucille Ball's Birthday, August 6, plus REDHEAD TALES – a newly produced and never-before-seen featurette on the colorization of I Love Lucy, and an exclusive mini poster"

The five uncut, full-length colorized episodes of “I Love Lucy,” along with “Redhead Tales, were:
  • Lucy Does a TV Commercial
  • Job Switching
  • L.A. at Last
  • The Million Dollar Idea
  • Pioneer Women
The "I Love Lucy: Colorized Collection" DVD on released August 13 with 16 full-length colorized episodes of “I Love Lucy,” includes those from the “I Love Lucy: A Colorized Celebration” screening.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/i-love-lucy

Video

Attachments

• A081B5D8-071E-475B-973F-DCDED00A67D5.jpeg
    A081B5D8-071E-475B-973F-DCDED00A67D5.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
A friend and I went to buy tickets to it, online, but it was all sold out, at both theaters we checked. In Los Angeles proper there were only two theaters showing it and only one screening at night. So not much availability. We even checked the next closest theatre in Baldwin Hills. They had a few seats available in the 1st three rows.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Colorization is a lot like the process that gets many Hank Williams fans up in arms-overdubbing. To try to make Hank more "palatable," his music was overdubbed in several different ways right up through the 1980's. Some people, like me, enjoy those versions equally well with the originals. Others hate them. Do you know what has happened? The originals are still more popular than the overdubs! I think you're going to find the same thing with colorizing movies and TV shows. If anything it will increase demand for people wanting to see the original.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I was surprised as well when somebody claimed The Absent Minded Professor was in color. I believe it was done specifically in b and w because this would conceal the special effects better, I assume such as the wires used in the basketball game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks