What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Sydney Poitier stars in the 1967 favorite To Sir, With Love, making its way to 4K UHD Blu-ray as part of Sony’s 6-film Columbia Classics 4K Ultra HD Collection, Volume 3.

To Sir, with Love (1967)

Released: 14 Jun 1967
Rated: Approved
Runtime: 105 min

Director: James Clavell
Genre: Drama

Cast: Sidney Poitier, Judy Geeson, Christian Roberts
Writer(s): E.R. Braithwaite, James Clavell

Plot: Idealistic engineer-trainee and his experiences in teaching a group of rambunctious white high school students from the slums of London's East End.

IMDB rating: 7.6
MetaScore: 55

Disc Information

Studio: Sony
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1...

Continue reading...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is, perhaps, my favorite cover of the movie's title song:

Not even close for me! It's still Lulu as I will never forget when a 12 year old Bobby Crawford watched this movie for the first time in a Manhattan movie theater with his grandfather back in 1968, after our New York Yankees baseball game got rained out.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Not even close for me! It's still Lulu as I will never forget when a 12 year old Bobby Crawford watched this movie for the first time in a Manhattan movie theater with his grandfather back in 1968, after our New York Yankees baseball game got rained out.
Lulu did the original, and I was referring to a cover version.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

To paraphrase an old TV ad..."He liked it! Bobby liked it!" :D

Jimbo.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dimitrios
When To Sir With Love was first released it came out around the same time as Up the Down Staircase. Both deal with schoolteachers in troubled high schools. I seem to recall that TSWL was basically considered a fantasy with a big star and a hit song and UTDS was considered the better movie with a not so big star but much more realistic drama. Yet, 50+ years later TSWL is the one that has endured while UTDS has been basically forgotten.

Lee Sandersen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leland T. Sandersen
Tastes will surely differ, but to call To Sir With Love just "so-so" is like suggesting Citizen Kane's "okay" for a somewhat plotless bio on a newspaper magnet.
Sure, but what is your opinion on Judy? A'int she awesome!!!

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
I love this film and its theme song. I was quite surprised to learn that the theme did not hit the charts in the UK because Lulu's record label there had zero faith in it and relegated to the B-side of another song. The song was a huge hit here in the U.S. as it rose to #1 and stayed there for 5 weeks so it I was even more surprised to learn that the song did not garner a Best Original Song Oscar nomination.

Lulu sang this song a few years back on TV's "American Idol" and boy did she blow the roof off the theater. Talk about lung power!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks