What's new

I have no clue :-) (1 Viewer)

Jimbar360

Auditioning
Real Name
jimmy
Hi Guys.

Wondering if you can help me before i spend lots of money on something i cant use... I hope this will make sense..

Ok... I want to use a projector to show sports and movies on a large screen outside. Can i run something like a hdmi lead from my tv to the projector to show the same program through the projector

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Hi Guys.

Wondering if you can help me before i spend lots of money on something i cant use... I hope this will make sense..

Ok... I want to use a projector to show sports and movies on a large screen outside. Can i run something like a hdmi lead from my tv to the projector to show the same program through the projector

Welcome!

TV's generally only provide HDMI inputs [not outputs] which means you wouldn't typically be able to share the TV's signal with a projector [especially if it's a 4K set] directly.

For movies the solution is simple, just purchase a cheap Blu Ray player for use with this system and protect it from the elements as needed. For TV you'll need a source signal which will likely involve either adding another one from your current provider [Dish, Direct TV, etc] or moving one of your existing units when you want to host an outdoor event. There are other options of course. I've just presented the ones that are easily implemented and affordable.

Curious. How would you plan to handle the sound?

Last edited:

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Hi Guys.

You could use an HDMI splitter. They're quite inexpensive. I use one to send the identical signal from my computer to my bedroom system and my home theater. You will presumably have to have separate amplification and speakers for both, unless for some reason you don't care about sound for one of them.

Jimbar360

Auditioning
Real Name
jimmy
You could use an HDMI splitter. They're quite inexpensive. I use one to send the identical signal from my computer to my bedroom system and my home theater. You will presumably have to have separate amplification and speakers for both, unless for some reason you don't care about sound for one of them.

Thank you Robert. I was hoping you would say a slitter would do the job for the picture,,, if the projector had a built in speaker would the HDMI slitter /lead send the sound to the projector as well. If not i could temporary send the sound through my outside speaker system and not have background music.

Jimbar360

Auditioning
Real Name
jimmy
Welcome!

TV's generally only provide HDMI inputs [not outputs] which means you wouldn't typically be able to share the TV's signal with a projector [especially if it's a 4K set] directly.

For movies the solution is simple, just purchase a cheap Blu Ray player for use with this system and protect it from the elements as needed. For TV you'll need a source signal which will likely involve either adding another one from your current provider [Dish, Direct TV, etc] or moving one of your existing units when you want to host an outdoor event. There are other options of course. I've just presented the ones that are easily implemented and affordable.

Welcome!

Thank you John. I own a Taverna in Greece and use the Greek TV / Internet package for sports etc on my main TV inside. Im thinking about putting a slitter on the tv/internet box and useing the HDMI lead one to the tv as i have the other to the projector. not sure though if the projector has a built in speaker would the HDMI lead carry the sound as well? if not i should be able to re-route temporarily the sound through my outside music system if needed.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, you should be able to split the hdmi output from your source, like a cable box. Just keep in mind that there are length limitations for hdmi cables, so there might be problems trying to do that. And yes, it will carry both audio and video, assuming it currently carries both audio and video to your TV.

Jimbar360

Auditioning
Real Name
jimmy
Yeah, you should be able to split the hdmi output from your source, like a cable box. Just keep in mind that there are length limitations for hdmi cables, so there might be problems trying to do that. And yes, it will carry both audio and video, assuming it currently carries both audio and video to your TV.

Thank you John. When you say length limitations, do you mean the quality of the picture could deteriorate with a really long cable. I was thinking of a cable of about 15 to 20 meters. Maybe i could get my suppliers to add another box so it would be a shorter distance..

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
With hdmi, it's pretty much a matter of it working or not working. There is NO WAY 15-20 meters will work without using an alternate method. There are a few options. There are powered hdmi repeaters, active cables (I think this is too long a distance for that) and ethernet adapters, that convert hdmi to ethernet, then back to hdmi. If you're trying to send a 4K signal it'll be a lot more difficult than a regular 1080 HD signal.

Jimbar360

Auditioning
Real Name
jimmy
Ok Thank you. I'll have a word with the suppliers and see if they can put in a second box or move the the other so i can use smaller cables.. This is a great forum ive learned a lot so far...

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

I've been happily divorced from cable and satellite for many years but I would be surprised if current technology allowed redistributing their signal to additional rooms as they usually want to sell you another STB for that.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Ok Thank you. I'll have a word with the suppliers and see if they can put in a second box or move the the other so i can use smaller cables.. This is a great forum ive learned a lot so far...
Extra long HDMI cables that use fiber optics are available. You can look into those to see if they're suitable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks