What's new

I Have a Question About Hooking Up (1 Viewer)

Hello everyone it's me again! I'm fourteen years old and have finally finished my home theater!!!
I have a question though. In my home theater, I use very high quality THX certified monster cable...but, I have a component video DVD player, an S-video direct-view T.V. and a composite video receiver.
I was wondering if there is something I can buy like an auxiliary switcher or a transcoder so I can have S-video or component video for everything...or if there is some way I can make use of the better quality cable inputs. Right now I'm just using all composite.
Thanks.
- Alan

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I would connect the DVD player’s video output directly to the TV, using S-video connections. You won’t be able to effectively use the component outputs until you have a display with component inputs.

It is not clear to me what you are using the video receiver for? If it is also for your audio system, I’d bypass the video functions here completely, at least as far as the DVD player is concerned and only connect the audio from your DVD player to this unit. If, on the other hand, the video receiver is being used to get a cable signal or OTA (or both) then you should connect this also to your TV via the composite cables. You won’t get any signal improvement by running composite to an S-Video switching device. Save your money for your next upgrade.

Eric_R_C

Second Unit
I have to agree with Lew. If your receiver is brand new, then you should have gotten one with at least S-video switching. If it's just getting you by, then don't bother with cables that will be obsolete with a new S-video receiver (unless you want your VCR to use S-video also.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks