What's new

I have 3 questions...anyone know the answers? (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I've got a few questions I thought I'd throw out to the group, to see if anyone out there can help me with the answers. The questions are not entirely related, but here goes:
1) I was in Suncoast yesterday at my local mall. While in there, another customer asked for Flash Gordon with Sam Jones (a guilty pleasure of mine; I got the old DVD for under $10 when it was discontinued). The mgr. replied that it was out-of-print, and that a new Special Edition was in the works! He then referred the customer to a magazine (I didn't hear which one; screaming baby nearby) that listed the coming-soon titles, which he said had the Flash Gordon S.E. info. I was late getting somewhere, so I didn't have time to explore this further with him.
I hadn't heard about this SE, and I usually hear about these things...especially since the Universal Studios distro center is about 2 miles from where I work, and lots of my co-workers have friends or relatives who work there! (I imagine this is a Universal title, since the OOP edition was one of the Image/Universal releases).
Any know anything about a Flash Gordon S.E. being made?
2) Very recently (within the past 30 days), Rhino marked down at least a dozen funny/scary/sexy (mostly 70's/80's) titles...to just $9.95 on most!...per the VideoTropic web site ( http://www.videotropic.com/pricereductions.asp Anyone know if they'll show up in some retailer's "budget" rack as a "special purchase"?
3) Here's the tricky question. I may start a war with this one! It may be a "blasphemous" question!
biggrin.gif

I know the answer is probably "always buy Criterion". But wait a sec...is it worth it? Give me a reason WHY I should buy the Criterion version!
Since both the Anchor Bay and Criterion copies of Time Bandits are non-anamorphic, and since I'm not sure I care about the commentary track, which version of this title should I get on DVD?
Okay, that should start enough of a debate. I'm quite serious about all three questions, as dumb as some people might find them! Thanks in advance for any and all answers.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
David,
get the Criterion Time Bandits-Much much better picture!!!
Definate purchase!
------------------

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Details or examples, please! Thanks,
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
David,
Its presented in its original 1.85:1 aspect ratio.
it was created from the 35mm interpositive.
sound was created from the original stereo magnetic tracks.
The best picture you will see, probally ever. Untilkl it's 16x9 of course :)
OH! and there is about 3 minutes added back into the film
------------------
[Edited last by JohnS on September 01, 2001 at 08:13 AM]

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
So I take it that this added 3 minutes isn't on the Anchor Bay version?
Okay, sounds like it's worth the extra money, unless someone chimes in with different information.
Now, that just leaves 2 questions to get answers to! :)
Thank you, JohnS.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
David,
I guess I'll chime in and answer the other questions as well.
Question 1-about a Flash Gordon S.E.
I have heard rumors but nothing is 100% I wouldn't count on it.
Question 2-about the Rhino titles. I don't know exactly where to get these, you might want to try a BEst Buy, as they are now trying to stock their shelves with just about everything. I could have swarn I saw Plump Fiction at Best Buy, in their 'DVD's under $10 section'
------------------

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Already tried Best Buy. I'll probably peek in there again tomorrow, as I check over the new Labor Day sale!
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
No dice; I tried Best Buy and 3 other places, looking for the Rhino discs. One of them was even the Circuit City location I hate. Noone had them. I've pretty much exausted all locations I usually try, except for one downtown place. I might find out if they're open tomorrow, and if so swing by.
While we were in BB, though, I caught "buy fever" and went nuts. Then we went to Sam's Club for grocery stuff, and I went nuts again. Here's the damage!:
  • Brazil - The Criterion Collection19852:22Crit$44.99Best Buy
  • Day the Earth Caught Fire, The19611:39AncBay$14.99Best Buy
  • In the Mouth of Madness19951:35NL$14.99Best Buy
  • Legend of Hell House, The19731:35Fox$17.99Best Buy
  • Wicker Man, The - Limited Edition Wood Box19731:28AncBay$24.99Best Buy
  • Blow Out19811:48MGM$12.99Sam's Club
  • Children of the Corn19841:32AncBay$10.00Sam's Club
  • Class19831:38MGM$12.99Sam's Club
  • Creepshow 219871:29AncBay$10.00Sam's Club
  • Desperately Seeking Susan19851:44MGM$12.99Sam's Club
  • F/X19861:48MGM$12.99Sam's Club
  • Pink Panther, The19631:55MGM$12.99Sam's Club
(We also picked up an $8.99 Leviathon for my father-in-law, but shhhh! It's a surprise! :) ) Sheesh, I must think I'm rich or something...that's 12 SKUs and over $200...just for giggles!
eek.gif

------------------
DAVE/Memphis
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks