What's new

I gurantee no hurricanes this year because.. (1 Viewer)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
..I went out and bought a generator. After relying on friends and neighboors generosity, I want to be self sufficient this year. I almost bought one last year. And, nearing the end of the season I was feeling pretty good about not buying one. Then came Wilma... in October!???? At least it was cool. But, I think of this as one of my cool toys that I can do stuff with. I already saw a mod of welding on a small car muffler to make it quieter. Sure, it might reduce the life, but these things are designed to run 10,000 hours. It will take years for me to get up to 200 hours on this. It will probably sit in the corner of the garage after I put it together taking up space. Oh well.

DanielM

Stunt Coordinator
oh yes there will be hurricanes becuse I didnt buy a generator..also here in lake worth....

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Well I went and bought one before the 2005 hurricane season and Dennis came and hit us dead on. Ivan hit us hard in 2004 and I told myself that I would have a generator for the 2005 season. Well Dennis came and went and was bad, but our underground utility system in our neighboorhood actually stood up to Dennis and I did not even loose power while most of the city ofPensacola was without power. I was actually stoked when I thought I might be able to use my generator, but our power never went out. If I hadn't bought the generator, I am sure we would have went without power for more than a week or two, just like with Ivan.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I never though I would need one either....but mine got one hell of a work out this last year, in fact, I need to service it to prepare for the next go round.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I thought the same thing up here with regards to snow storms when I bought my snow blower. I was wrong....12" last Sunday.

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Todd, I grew up in a suburb of Chicago and I remember my neighbor buying a snowblower wide enough to clear the sidewalk in one pass. (36 inches I think) The first time he took it out he did his walk and driveway. Then he went up and down the block do everybody elses. Yes, it was the biggest on the block. My dad just yelled at us to shovel faster. I never understood why, he was always inside.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I never realized there were 3 HTF members in and around Lake Worth. We should have the world's smallest HTF meet up. Anybody know a good phone booth? :D

Joe

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
We got hit pretty nicely the last two years. Fortunately we didnt lose power for too long. But who knows.. I may get one this year.

How much equip. can you hookup to one of those things? Fridge? TV? And for how long?

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
How much equipment you can hook up depends on how much capacity in watts the generator has. Of course, that depends on $$$ dollars. I spent $700 and got a 5600 watt generator from sears. That can run a fridge, a small window unit A/C and a TV at the same time, or my hot water heater and nothing else, or a fridge, freezer and a TV. There might be some juice left over for a light. IMHO the biggest problem with the big generators is that they go through a lot of gas, which is hard to come by after a hurricane. I used my friends 15,000 watt generator for one storm and that used between 3/4 and a gallon of gas per hour. Sure, I could have powered my whatever I wanted. With a little care, I could have powered my entire house. But, getting gas was a real problem. If you are lucky enough to have a gas hook-up to your home, then you are in really great shape. You can still cook, and the fuel comes to your door. It is also cheaper than gas. Try www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com

DanielM

Stunt Coordinator
I could have borrowed one last year cause a friends power came back on in 2 days but with the gas situation I figured it was not worth it ..we are out to beat our record again in 04 it was 8 days no power 05 was 9 days 06 ?????

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

I don't understand this statement. When a hurricane even has a remote chance of knocking out my power I go out early and fill all 3 cars and 6-6 gallon cans plus the generator. Last year when we went to our house in Miami I had enough to power the generator and drive past all the people waiting in line at the plazas on the turnpike. Whatever was left I put in my cars as needed.

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor

Its guys like you that empty the pumps for procrastinators like me! Where are you going that you need all that gas?! Leave some for us!

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I never in my wildest dreams though I would own more than one 2 gallon gas can, but after this season, I need one of those carriers you plug into your receiver hitch to carry the 12 or so we had just to live! Its a bitch without power after the first week or so...we ran a/c window units from 6pm until the tank ran empty (apx 3am) to sleep at night, its hell down here without a/c too. :frowning:

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

I got one of those platforms for the hitch. When we went to Miami I rented a uhaul trailer for 20 bucks a day. I put in the generator gas and chain saws. Sucked to pull up and see 2 huge Mango trees just laying there. No mango shakes this year.....:frowning:

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff

What are the logistics for using this once the power goes out? Do you run lots of extension cords to your garage or patio where your generator sits. Or do you hook the generator into an axillary box so that it runs directly into your electrical service? I'm just curious. We don't get too many hurricanes here in Indiana, but tornadoes, snow and ice storms or bad thunderstorms can cut the power for a few hours to a couple of days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks