What's new

I gurantee no hurricanes this year because.. (1 Viewer)

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

There are several ways to do it. I have a pigtail to my breaker box that I plug into. You can bak feed the box into a 220 receptacle also. The backfeed isn't reccomended unless you know what your doing.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Generally, YES. ;) However, I bought one of the high tech Honda EU series generators, this line is the ones equipped with "economy" mode as well as the feature of putting out "clean power" so you can run you personal computer, tv, etc. They do cost a more but like everything in life, you get what you pay for, these are extra quiet too. The cheaper ones sound like a loud lawn mower running outside @ full throttle all night....

Highly Recommend, BTW. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Just like your lawnmower!!!
That can be a pain. The Hondas are unbelievable. So quiet that you can barely hear them. Fuel Efficient.. Clean Power.... (Yes, I am a fan of Hondas) But the cost is pretty high. I think my $700 generator costs about $4000 for the quiet Honda. But they are being used in very different ways. My generator is not allowed on campground sites because it is so loud whereas the Hondas are allowed.
Different tools for different tasks. But, if money was no object, I would get an enclosed generator like the Honda.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Yes, the ARE!!! :)

I live in a condo, and the past two years one of my neighbors somewhere in the development has been running a very loud generator pretty much 24/7. Not so bad last year, when we got hit during a period of relatively cool weather, but a nightmare in 2004. Try getting any sleep when you're choices are roasting in an airless room with the windows closed or listening to what sounds like a jackhammer digging into the night table four feet from your head. (Actually, the choice wasn't even that good, since even with the windows closed you'd hear the damned generator.)

I've thought about getting one myself (I'd at least like to be cool and/or have cold food and drink available while being kept up all nighth by the noise), but I live in a 3rd floor unit with no fire escape (the outside stairs are supposed to meet that requirement) and no elevator. (Not required by code in buildings under 4 stories.) I can't imagine keeping gasoline in my apartment, even out on the balcony (where the generator would have to go), much less in the quantities needed to run a generator for two weeks (I think my longest run without power in 2004/05 was 15 days.) And forget about schlepping all that gas up the stairs. So I don't think this is in my future. And the only propane or natural gas systems I've seen must be connected to utility gas supplies, not portable tanks. Natural gas service is not available in my building, unfortunately. My brother-in-law is making noises about putting an extension on his house (for when the grandkids visit) and maybe adding an NG generator. So maybe I'll just move in with them for awhile next year. :)

Regards,

Joe

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Joe D. if the brother in law option isn't viable, you should check out the 2000 watt Honda. Yes, it is about $1000. It is up to you if it is worth it. Last year, a friend of mine bought one for his mother. About 1 gallon of gas will get you four hours of run time, and if you are careful, you can triple that. Also, it is very quiet. When I went down to Boca to check up on my friend and his mother he showed me the generator. I had to touch it to convince myself that it was running. Just a little hum. You can even run a very small window unit with this. I also puts out clean power so you can run your electronics with it.
Good luck.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Thanks for the answers everyone. I understand the need for an electrician. I don't think I would tackle installing an auxiliary box. One of those Hondas looks nice. I don't think I need one though since power outages are rare here. When I build my next dream house, I may just have one incorporated as a permanent installation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks