What's new

I can't be the only one who's noticed some problems with the Punk Drunk Love DVD..... (1 Viewer)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Slightly off-topic:

I find it funny/disturbing that many people giving great value to the Superbit titles.

In return for a Superbit title in a trade, some people want either a another Superbit, OOP title or Criterion in return.
These Superbits are priced the same as many other regular DVDs, and don't necessarily look/sound any better either.

I should slap Superbit banners on my DVDs and sell them... I could make a bundle.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Add 'Ultra' or 'Extreme' to your banner, and it will sell twice as fast.

Customer: Wow, Super-EXTREME-bit, this must be good.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
To be honest I don't think my opinion is that rare. I think it's more a case of people being beaten down with silly arguements and annoying justifications until they just don't speak up anymore. The afformentioned thread is proof of this.

It's obvious many of you are Superbit Nazis who want nothing more than to discredit and destroy the "Superbit myth" that you think has taken over the world. Calm down. Most people don't think Superbits are the greatest thing since DVD was created. Your not doing mankind any favors by preaching the anti Superbit hate speach daily.

Dan.B

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Marc, I don't think you're off-topic at all. Your point about cost is well-taken. It's not like people are being asked to pay more for the Superbit version of PDL versus a "standard" disc. As I said earlier in the thread, this is the only version of the movie on DVD. If you care about the movie, you get this disc. If you're looking for demo material for your HT system, you should probably be looking for a different movie.

M.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
FYI, the original Fifth Element, that has been a staple as a highly regarded video demo DVD, has little if any filtering of the high frequency video details for that video transfer. This was relayed to us when we visited the studio of Sony/Columbia last fall.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I think it's more a case of people being beaten down with silly arguements and annoying justifications until they just don't speak up anymore.
Yah, I'm sure that's the case :rolleyes

Debate is what makes this forum great, Daniel. I welcome your opinion, even if I disagree with it. Calling our argument "silly" and "annoying" isn't very welcoming.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Ok. I popped in the disk last night and found 2 cases of dirt in the print within 8 seconds.

The first one comes at about 5:00 or at the beginning of the conversation between Sandler and the girl. It's located near the middle of the screen but slightly to the left. There is another "chunk" at about 5:08 or when the girl begins to remove her key from the key ring. It is located almost dead center in the frame.

Again, i'm not saying movies aren't allowed to have any film dirt but for a brand new release this movie has quite a bit of it. I'm still sticking to my point that this movie just doesn't meet the standards set by previous Superbit titles i've seen.

Dan.B

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I also have to mention that I made an error yesterday when I said that Punch Drunk Love ran at 4bps. I double checked and it does run at 7. Good but still not among the best.

Dan.B

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The first one comes at about 5:00 or at the beginning of the conversation between Sandler and the girl. It's located near the middle of the screen but slightly to the left. There is another "chunk" at about 5:08 or when the girl begins to remove her key from the key ring. It is located almost dead center in the frame.
When you're talking about a phenomenon that lasts only a frame or two, time references in minutes are not very useful. Most DVD players I'm familiar with provide time marks in seconds; if you've been playing the film in slow motion, you should be able to provide an exact reference to where the dirt allegedly appears.

In any case, I've played the scene yet again, focusing on the two points you mentioned. I don't see any dirt. In general, the source materials used for this disc are as clean as any disc of a contemporary film that I've seen. You've invested a great deal of energy in arguing otherwise, but the evidence on the screen doesn't bear it out.

M.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
Dan, it seems that your argument with the film dirt and the "superbit" moniker has detracted you from really just sitting down and enjoying a great film.

Isn't that the main reason why we're in this hobby to begin with?

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
It seems that for every bit of evidence I provide I just get the answer "your really just nitpicking, just enjoy the movie". That still doesn't justify this movie being called a Superbit. Thats all i've been saying from the beginning.

Michael:

If you look closely I did list exact time with seconds for the problems I mentioned. I listed the first one as 5:00. That means that 5 minutes and zero seconds into the movie is about where the first problem begins. The second problem occurs at about 5 minutes 8 seconds. How much more exact can I get?

Dan.B

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
It seems that for every bit of evidence I provide I just get the answer "your really just nitpicking, just enjoy the movie". That still doesn't justify this movie being called a Superbit. Thats all i've been saying from the beginning.
What are you talking about? On this page of the thread alone are several refutations, including your own admission, that state that you were wrong on the bitrate. I've seen several people state that they couldn't find the problems you've been talking about it. In fact, no one else has come forward to support your assertion of the fact that this title's quality sets it apart from other Superbits. Before you accuse us of blindly arguing in favor of Superbit (which not all of us have done or are doing), pay attention to what we have been saying. Oh, and there's a reason we've been saying "just enjoy the movie." It's because that's what you have it for. Probably this thread has made this movie well-nigh impalatable for you, more so than it's disqualification as a Superbit in your eyes. If it hasn't, then please, for your sake--enjoy the movie.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Ok, i'm officially leaving this thread now. I've said all I have to say and i've heard everything everyone else has to say. I'm just repeating myself now and people such as Paul seem to keep saying the same things over and over again even though I make it clear i'm not saying what he claims i'm saying.

One last time Paul:

I DO NOT believe that the Superbit label means NO FILM DIRT on this transfer. HOWEVER, I have stated that the PRECEDENT set by previous SUPEBIT releases is VERY HIGH and lacking defects such as FILM DIRT. So, in the case of PUNCH DRUNK LOVE the DVD does not match the PREVIOUS PRECEDENT set by SUPERBIT DVDS. :angry:

Jesse:

People like to use "just enjoy the movie" when they have no justification for the arguement they are making. Instead of those people admitting their arguement is wrong they say something like "just enjoy the movie". It's a easy out for an arguement. In regards to other people seeing what i'm seeing in this movie. I don't know what else to say. I can see film dirt more than a few times in this movie running at normal speed. If others can't see it I don't know what else to say. It's there on my 36" SONY HDTV.

Dan.B

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
So, in the case of PUNCH DRUNK LOVE the DVD does not match the PREVIOUS PRECEDENT set by SUPERBIT DVDS
To be fair, you only compared PDL to The Fifth Element. The other two you mentioned were 'Attack of the Clones' and 'Lord of the Rings', which are not Columbia titles, hence are not Superbit titles. And frankly, I saw dirt on all of them but Clones.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I watched a speck of dust the other day, then realized after reading this thread that there was a movie around it :D.

--
Holadem

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
I think I've figured out who Daniel really is. Why it's none other then the celluloid hating, digital emperor, George Lucas.:D

Seriously Dan, no hard feelings. Just enjoy the film... it really is quite good. And remember, it could be worse. You could be watching it on VHS, in fullscreen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks