What's new

I can't be the only one who's noticed some problems with the Punk Drunk Love DVD..... (1 Viewer)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
But to suggest that it's a "reader's digest" version isn't entirely accurate considering the fact that it's nearly all-new material.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I've said it before, but here it is again:

This is a wonderful movie, and a wonderful disk. I haven't a single criticism. The DVD only cost me $20, and it is my single favorite DVD/movie experience (since I didn't see the movie in the theater). All the uses of color, or light, or in particular, the music score, are simply brilliant. The acting was brilliant. Where was this movie during the Awards period?

A wonderful movie and DVD. I've watched it 6 times since buying it 3 weeks ago.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
But to suggest that it's a "reader's digest" version isn't entirely accurate considering the fact that it's nearly all-new material.
Whether it is alternate takes or not, it is basically the film condensed down to 12 minutes and set to music.

I think my description is apt.

KevA

Stunt Coordinator
I just want to briefly echo DeeF's comments. I watched this film for the first time on DVD recently (rental) and then simply had to see it again the next night (I purchased it). I've never done this before.

What an audacious, visionary film this is: a carefully orchestrated marvel of cinematic artistry.

(PT Anderson's first feature, Hard Eight, appears to be out of print. I just ordered a copy for myself but there can't be many left at this point.)

Kev A.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
(PT Anderson's first feature, Hard Eight, appears to be out of print. I just ordered a copy for myself but there can't be many left at this point.)
Where did you hear this?

I'm not doubting you, just want to confirm. I have friends who've been looking for Hard Eight for many months in stores (around southern Ontario) and have come up empty.

About 6 months ago a few salespeople stated that it was OOP, but I found no evidence of it on DVD sites and forums even though I couldn't actually find it on store shelves. I thought perhaps it was just no longer available in Canada - but still abundant in the US.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
"I sat down with the disc this evening and played the initial conversation between Barry and Lena several times, including in slow motion. The display is a 65" 16:9 Toshiba widescreen set, ISF-calibrated; the DVD player was a Panasonic H1000.

I didn't see any film dirt.

I didn't see any defects in the print.

I didn't see any digital artifacts.

What I saw was a faithful reproduction of a scene that I found both striking and intriguing when I first encountered it in the theater.

Then I looked at the sky behind Barry in the scene cited by Mr. Becker. I saw nothing unusual in the textures. Punch-Drunk Love was shot with highly saturated colors and sharp contrasts that often result in an emphasis of the film grain. The video transfer tries to match the saturation levels, and the result is a kind of "edginess" that gives a good video approximation of the film's look.

M."

I'll rewatch the scene tonight and provide you with exact time in the movie for the dirt I saw in the film tomorrow. I don't have internet access at home.

Dan.B

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
RE: the horrible-looking pan across the supermarket items; I noticed this at the theater, but I'm not a video expert so I can't tell you what caused it :)

I never knew the distortion in the "Bathroom Brawl" was intentional until I got the DVD. In fact, at my theatrical veiwing, I complained to management about this and was comped two tickets! Now I feel guilty...

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I also find it interesting that not one single review i've read has pointed these problems out. I noticed them on my meager setup within minutes.
Not to disparage your home theater enthusiasm or anything, but if multiple, dedicated, if not always accurate, reviewers with (sometimes professionally) calibrated equipment that is more likely to bring out flaws don't mention the problem, then it's not a problem. As it has been mentioned in this thread before, some things were filmed a certain way or the medium itself is responsible. I can't believe that you've watched countless other DVDs using film and never noticed intentional saturation that exaggerated film grain.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I may be taking the sky texture grain the wrong way. Thats a matter of interpretation or opinion if you will. However, I know that I saw what most people would call a piece of "film dirt" pass across the screen in the conversation I mentioned earlier. I saw it once at full speed and then rewatched in in slow-mo to confirm what I had thought I saw. Sure enough it was there and it wasn't a small fleck of dirt either. :frowning:

Please, keep in mind that i've never once claimed this movie had a bad transfer. I simply said it wasn't exactly perfection which is quite often associated with a "Superbit" release. Thats all.

Dan.B

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
I simply said it wasn't exactly perfection which is quite often associated with a "Superbit" release
However, Superbit shouldn't be associated with the perfection (or lack there fore of) of the film transfer. All Superbit promises is a larger bit rate then standard DVDs. So I think your entire thread is misdirected at the wrong thing. Instead of blaming the Superbit format, you should be blaming those at Columbia (not that I would, as small flecks of dirt is nit picking)for not further cleaning up the transfer.

I think there is a common misconception that Superbit is more then just an advanced authoring process.

However, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
In relation to the bitrate: The movie runs at a very average bitrate as compared to many of today's current releases.

I'm well aware that Superbit doesn't mean automatic perfect transfer. But, it has been the general law that Superbit titles feature pristine transfers. This is the first one i've seen that falls short of that.

Dan>B

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'm well aware that Superbit doesn't mean automatic perfect transfer. But, it has been the general law that Superbit titles feature pristine transfers. This is the first one i've seen that falls short of that.
Panic Room doesn't have a reference quality transfer...and I wouldn't say that Adaptation does either. Both of those are Superbits.

I think the point that is being made is that if there are problems with dirt, etc on the print...having a higher bit-rate isn't going to fix it. Therefore the Superbit process shouldn't be blamed for producing a lackluster (not my opinion) transfer.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Panic Room doesn't have a reference quality transfer...
If you mean the transfer doesn't offer up the eye candy of the glossiest transfers that are often mentioned when folks ask about demo material, then I agree. On the other hand the Superbit release of Panic Room does a tremendous job of recreating the visual aesthetic and theatrical presentation of the film. Given the difficulty of the source material I consider it to be one of the better transfers available yet on DVD.

- Walter.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Well, i'm not going to get into the whole Superbit debate. Many people seem to have their minds made up as to the value of Superbit disks. I can tell you that i've seen the Adaptation, Panic Room, Punch Drunk Love, and recently purchased The Fifth Element.

Adaptation and Panic Room may not be "official" Superbit titles in that they have been packaged with a second disk of extras but both movies look VERY good IMO. However, the Fifth Element is one of the Top 3 DVD transfers i've ever seen. IMO the Fellowship of the Ring EE and Episode 2 are it's only equals. Both Fellowship and Fifth Element run at an extremely high bitrate and appear to almost be Hi-Def in quality. If your determined to call that a "marketing gimmick" than go ahead.

Dan.B

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
If your determined to call that a "marketing gimmick" than go ahead.
Well it is a marketing gimmick. Because any studio can choose to author their DVD at a higher bitrate then 4. Some don't, because they like to have extras on the disc. Superbit, when it comes down to it, is just a way for Columbia to resell older titles. It's no different then T2 The Extreme Edition, or the millions of Army of Darkness editions.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Thanks for the correction on Adaptation and Panic Room. I wasn't thinking clearly. I meant to say they aren't the tipical Superbit releases. Meaning some people don't consider them "true superbits".

As for your comments about Superbit you are correct. Any company can product their DVD at a higher bitrate if they want. There is no magic to Superbit but it's clear that what has been released under the official "Superbit" label and packaging has set a level of picture quality that is VERY high. I know the actual "Superbit" aspect has nothing to do with this but they clearly are producing dvds with a very high bitrate.

PUNK DRUNK LOVE does NOT follow the afformentioned "Superbit" expectations. That is all. It doesn't have the high bitrate and it doesn't have the appearance of previous Superbit releases. Therefore I have concluded that it's a BOGUS "Superbit" release. They are now just slapping the Superbit stamp on random movies in hopes of selling more copies! Again, keep in mind I don't doubt that the Superbit name was created to sell more movies but this particular movie lacks the high bitrate that is promised with the Superbit name. Catch my drift?

Just like if you bought a dvd player that had the label "progressive scan capable" on the box you would expect it to produce a progressive scan image. Not just a "really nice image". If it says progressive it should be progressive. If the box says "SUPERBIT" it should have the high bitrate. That is all that has to be said.

Dan.B

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Firstly, all three of the above titles are as much Superbit as the previous releases. Just because Columbia is opting not to include that ugly silver metal design for their new releases, does not seperate them from the rest. Superbit is Superbit.

It doesn't have the high bitrate and it doesn't have the appearance of previous Superbit releases
Secondly, how do you know this? Did you measure the bit rate of the disc. Or are you just assuming, because you're not happy with the look of the disc.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
My Sony player has a bitrate meter which gives a full display of what the bitrate is at all times. The Punch Drunk Love disk averages a bitrate that is average by all standards of today's dvd movies. Fifth Element and Fellowship of the Ring EE however both average almost double the normal bitrate of average dvds. The visual difference is clear. When people talk about dvds looking almost 3D they're usually referencing a disk with a bitrate like that of Fifth Element or Fellowship of the Ring EE. The difference is clear.

Dan.B

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks