What's new

Hybrid SACD problem (1 Viewer)

TomCW

Second Unit
Hope this is the right forum for this;
Got my first Hybrid SACD today, and I can't get my player, a Sony DVP-NS500V to recognize anything but the CD layer. The player works fine with non-hybrid SACDs and DVDs. I will exchange the disc(mail order), but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Hybrid SACDs and this model. Sony tech support was of little help as I had read the manual and know what buttons to push.
Thanks!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Tom, what was the title? It's by no means certain if this is a disc or player problem. I don't have that player but I might have that title. If I do I'll put it in my 9000ES player and see if vat hapenz.... I have played all my titles in my 555ES but only some of them in the 9000ES. Best wishes!

TomCW

Second Unit
Rachel,
Title is Alison Krauss & Union Station, New Favorite.
Hasn't been out very long on SACD.
Thanks!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Tom, I got that one yesterday and it's my new favourite. I just took it out of the 555 and tried it in the 9000 and it works fine. I hope somebody else has your player and the disc. It is Rounder's first multi-channel release which may or may not be a factor? About the only disc/player issue I have heard about previously is that the Pioneer 733/47A/747 doesn't like Herbie Hancock's HEADHUNTERS multi-channel version and one other Sony disc...

It could well be the disc. There could be a bad spot on the the SACD entry code that "opens" that layer. SACD quality control is proably not yet what it's gonna be. The only SACD that I've had to exchange was a copy of Laura Nyro that had a pop in one song on the SACD layer, also a Rounder title.

If it's a player problem you'll proably never get a straight answer from Sony. They're a mega-sloth-octopus that has no idea what it's own various tenacles are doing. I've had dealings with their ill-informed agents! I hope it's a disc problem because this is one of the best SACD's yet IMO. Good luck & best wishes!

TomCW

Second Unit
Rachael, Get this! I ran one of those $5 cd cleaning discs thru the player and the SACD played one time. After I ejected it and reloaded, it went back to not playing the SACD layer. Fortunately, I listened to both the multi-channel and the stereo mixes before I ejected. You're right, it is a great recording. Sony wants $77 flat rate to fix the player, which is a lot considering I can get a new one for around $170, perhaps I'll pop the case off and have a look inside...
Thanks for your help!
Tom

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I was at my dealer last month and had a problem with my hybrid SACD (Spyro Gyra) in what I believe was the Sony NS900V. It played the CD layer and Stereo SACD tracks but could not interpret multich SACD. The disc played perfectly on the Sony C555ES SACD player 5 minutes later (and works fine on the C555ES unit I took home with me).

Doug

TomCW

Second Unit
I believe I've found the problem.
There was a human hair stuck in the optical pickup.
I removed it and brushed the lens with a camel's hair brush.
So far, so good.
Thanks for the help!
Tom

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! I hope that doesn't void your warranty (opening the chassis)...
That would explain why the cleaning disk fixed it temporarily, it probably just moved the hair long enough for it to work once. :)
-Aaron

TomCW

Second Unit
Warranty was 90 days labor, 1 yr parts, didn't see any security stickers, so I guess I'm OK, but I probably wouldn't pay $77 to fix a $170 player, I'd buy another and relegate this one to the spare bedroom.

Tom

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
TomCW,
I agree with you on that one... I don't know why, but I was thinking you had an ES player when I wrote that... Even though clearly you stated otherwise... DUH! :) It's been one of those days I guess!
-Aaron

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
:) Tom, that's pretty funny! Would an SACD pit be narrower than a hair? Anybody out there know this one? If you're really getting into SACD you ought to consider a 222 or 555ES player while the prices are low? I'm sure the next generation of players will be improved but I bet the price bobs back up some on ES models. I'm loving the 555! Sony is supposedly reorganizing their entire audio line-up presently, according to a local dealer. Anyway...Best wishes!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks