HELP - Philips DVD962SA Lost SACD Playback

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kyle_D, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Kyle_D

Kyle_D Second Unit

About a week ago I tried converting my dad's Philips DVD962SA to region free using a commonly available RC6 code that is supposed to work for all Philips players. It didn't work and while the player still plays DVDs and CDs fine, it's choking on SACDs. Some hybrid discs will play but the display is scrambled during playback (it displays a rotating "P" followed by seemingly randomized time digit) and it is impossible to skip tracks. Non-hybrid discs flat-out won't play.

I've gone through Philips troubleshooting and it confirmed my suspicion that I'd need to update my firmware, but when I try to order the disc, the page tells me it's unavailable even though the same page tells me there's an inventory of 95.

I've called Philips customer service and none of them can figure out how to help me. They couldn't order it due to an "IT problem" and they couldn't figure out where I could go to download the file. Now I'm becoming less and less confident by the second that Philips customer service will be able to figure this out and I can't afford to purchase a new player for my dad, who's understandably pissed.

So after spending hours on the phone with Philips Customer Service, the Philips website and the rest of the web searching for a solution to this problem, I thought I'd make a posting here and see if anyone can help me. It would be great if someone had the update and could email it to me.

Thanks.

2. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Philips "customer service" is useless- I think they're actually outsourced to India. Sounds like a firmware reload is what you need though- you might also want to check the manual and see if there's a way to reset everything back to the default settings.

3. Kyle_D

Kyle_D Second Unit

I tried the manual...nothing there.

Everytime I try to get something through Philips, I run into a brick wall. It's ridiculous. You'd think it would be simple enough to get me a firmware disc or a download, but Philips just can't seem to fathom that.