What's new

Hybrid DVD-A in the pipeline..... (1 Viewer)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Determining which side is DVD-A, and which is CD on a Hybrid disc really should be a non issue. Like I mentioned earlier, all this would require is simple color coding of the center hub consistent throughout all releases. Once you learn the colors on the first disc you buy, it is a no brainer from then on out. I suppose the could even go as far as making the actual disc different colors on each side, but this would be overkill in my book and probably cost more in replication costs.

J

Seth_L

Screenwriter
This is a new one. Seth do you have any information on the thickness of Hybrid DVD-A or is this total speculation? You make it sound like they are gluing a full sized DVD and CD together. If flipper DVD are any indication, thickness will be a total non issue.

J
It was my understanding from reading some articles that a DVD/CD "hybrid" was thicker than a standard CD. This was supposedly because the actual aluminum layer in a CD is placed on the top of the plastic disc under a thin protective coating (like a CD-R). Where does that leave room for a DVD side in the thickness stackup?

Seth

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Determining which side is DVD-A, and which is CD on a Hybrid disc really should be a non issue.
I see several possible issues:

1. Higher production costs to manufacture disc.
2. Lack of artwork for record marketing departments which might be important for some.
3. Easier to scratch since both sides contain data.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Well once again Lee posts irrelevancies:

That's the only valid point you've made so far, but the media for both DVD and CD holds up decently in my experience. I've had to dump one CD for scratches in all the time I've been playing with them. Not exactly a terrible track record.

Regards,

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
If the average consumer can get past the thousand security adhesive stickers without destroying the disc(and I have yet to come across any with DVD-A) the two sided medium is moot. Most of us already have two sided discs that haven't seem to hamper us!

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Since I don't use my discs as frisbees, I actually view this as a benefit in this case. If for some reason one side of my disc gets scratched, I will still have access to music on the other side in some form (CD or DVD-A depending on the scratched side). With a single sided disc, a bad scratch may cause you to scrap the whole disc.

People are used to two sided discs now, with the incredible popularity of DVD. If DVD-A was the first format to use two sided discs, this may be a small issue, but both Laserdisc and DVD have been in the two sided camp since their inception.

J

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Single inventory solution though. In addition, I suspect if you compared cost of hybrid SACD vs. flipper DVDA/CD you'd find them similar.
Well, we already know from Groove Note that the per disc royalty is 40 cents for DVDA versus 5 cents for Super Audio. So this further may add to the cost to favor Super Audio.

As far as artwork goes, I am thinking of the record label itself, not the consumer.

In and of itself it may be a minor issue, but combine with the weird "group" functions on DVDA remotes and the inconsistency in mastering and playback (some require a TV, others not) and you wind up with a very unfriendly format.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

It could be a real problem for people with extreme cases of Carpal Tunnel.

I think anyone of reasonable intelligance (say IQ over 50) can figure out what side to play.

We probably won't need too many instructions!

Anyway - flipping over a disc is probably a lot less of an annoyance than the direction that most of these discussions end up taking.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I like the coloring idea. Keep the CD side the same as normal, but maybe color the DVD-A side something else. Can you color the entire side of the disc, like the old PS1 CD's that were black?

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
weird "group" functions on DVDA remotes and the inconsistency in mastering and playback (some require a TV, others not) and you wind up with a very unfriendly format.
Really, the group button is not that different then the stereo/multichannel button found on the remotes of most SACD players. Before DVD players became the standard for home video presentation, no one had a clue what the "menu", "audio", "display" buttons on their remote meant because these were just not there before with VHS or even LD in some cases. These new buttons did not hamper the growth of DVD so why should it do the same for DVD-A?

Lee, you really make it sound like people in general are dumb. Most people I know can read, distinguish between different colors, and even take that giant learning step and figure out the function of a button on a remote control.

I do agree that there needs to be consistency in mastering though. I think Warner has adopted the new specs for all their releases which uses the audio button to switch between the various tracks. This is the best solution in my book and should become the standard. Honestly Lee, very very few discs require you to use a TV at all. Those discs which do not begin play automatically, all you have to do is press the play button and they start, not too hard to figure out, and something you have to do with many CD and SACD players as well.

Lets concentrate on valid issues and stop grasping at straws.

J

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Does anybody else think dvd-audio should have its own specific name to avoid confusion?
Taking a cue from Warner discs: how about an ARD(Advanced Resolution Disc)
or.....
HRAD: High Resolution Audio Disc
or.....
XRAD: (e)Xtended Range Audio Disc
Remember, the name should be easy to recall & pronounce. And it should definitely have a slick emblem to go with it!
LJ

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
How about...
FLIPPER
That way they can use dolphins to educate the public about the two sides...;)
People love animals and it kind of sticks (or is that stinks..)
:laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks