Hybrid DVD-A in the pipeline.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Lane, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=16364224
    Check it out. Just received the latest HFR newsletter which had a link to the above article. Maybe this is why Warner was so mum at CES. This would be a big announcement for DVD-A and if all plans were not finalized they could be waiting for a later date. Of note, it mentioned that the initial Hybrids will be dual sided instead of dual layered.
    J

2. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I think dual sided discs might be the better choice anyway becuase dual-layer discs might be troublesome for certain CD or dvd players to read properly.
    Also at highfidelityreview.com they mentioned that McIntosh is going to sell a dvd-audio player. To me anyway, that definitely is an authoritative stamp of approval for dvd-audio.
    (Trvia note: Audioasylum has setup a separate dvd-audio forum. But the name sucks: "DVD-A Alley".
    LJ

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I agree with Lee. Double sided discs make no sense at all to me.

5. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

6. Justin Lane

7. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

If it gets more titles released in DVD-Audio format, then I'm all for it.

8. Justin Lane

9. Justin Lane

10. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Double sided discs will certainly cause some misuse. I also wonder what will this do the pricing. DVD-As from audiophile labels like Chesky are already 25% more than their SACDs. Except for Warner, most of the other cos. are already more expensive for their DVD-As. Instead of getting potentially confusing and more expensive stuff out there, DVD-A should be just plain getting more software available from known artists.

11. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I don't know how you would play the regular CD part if they were dual-layered either. SACD players have a setting so you can tell it which layer to play on hybrid SACD discs, but if a DVD player sees a DVD, it'll stay locked onto that.

12. Michael St. Clair

13. Justin Lane

14. Justin Lane

Aside from the inconvenience of having CD and DVD information on separate sides, a Hybrid DVD-A would be the ultimate audio experience. Think about it, we could get on one disc:

Hi-res Stereo
    Hi-res Surround
    DD/DTS Surround
    Redbook CD
    Bonus Material (interviews, lyrics, documentaries)

If pricing remains the same or close to what it is now, Hybrid DVD-A would be an incredible steal in the world of audio.

J

15. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

16. Michael St. Clair

17. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

A couple of comments:

I have a hybrid SACD, and so far I haven't had a problem playing the CD layer in any player, including computer DVD drives. It doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist, but I haven't experienced it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was older drives that had the problem.

The other thing is, I actually own a CD/DVD disc at home. Nightwish's "Over The Hills And Far Away" came in a limited edition with a DVD side that had clips from their live DVD, so this technology already exists.

Jason

18. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

19. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Toshibas are notorious for having problems with hybrids. My friend had a problem and tried it on about a dozen other brands and did not have a problem playing hybrids. His Toshiba then would mute out the beginning of each DVD-A track as well. He did not get a response from Toshiba on either issue. SACDs are advertised to play in any CD player, which there are a lot more of than DVD players and when one adds in portables and autos that even makes the difference bigger. It is just a fact that DVD-A is more marketed to the home theater crowd (will play in any DVD player) and SACDs are marketed to more of the music crowd. I have been able to play hybrids Sony, Marantz, Proceed, Panasonic and Pioneer DVD players and have not experienced a problem, including some older models among them.

20. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Justin,

Thanks -- I did miss this post.

It's DVD players with ROM drives that tend to have the most problems with hybrid SACDs. I have too DVD-ROM drives here, one a drive of unknown origin that will play the CD layer, one Pioneer that won't play the CD layer.

I haven't tested the Meridian unit, since it is based on DVD-ROM, it could well have problems reading hybrid SACDs.

Now, on to why the choice of a dual sided hybrid.

Sony / Philips owns the patent for a hybrid that is dual layered single side. This has an outer layer readable with a 650nm laser for SACD and a 780nm layer for CD. By bonding the CD media on one readable side to a DVD media on the other side, similar to a "flipper" DVD disc format, they have neatly sidestepped the Sony/Philips patent. I'm sure in one of the discussions of the potential for DVD-A hybrids I mentioned this as a potential method for delivery of the CD layer.

In addition, I haven't heard too many complaints about "flipper" DVDs that offer Widescreen versions on one side, and Pan/Scan on the other.

Regards,