What's new

HTPC... what for? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Many people use them to scale the image on their HDTVs, others use them for the virtually flawless PAL-NTSC conversion and easy region hacking

Also useful because you can play hundreds of MP3s through your sound system

AllenD

Second Unit
I watch DVDs in 540p or 1080i and the quality is near HDTV. HTPCs are cost effective when upgrades become available through either hardware or software. They're also highly adaptable. You can use the same HTPC for most display devices. If I ever upgrade my HD RPTV to an FPTV, I can make adjustments to accomodate the new FPTV. You can also record HDTV, if available, for timeshifting. Also for archiving if you have the funds. Plus it's fun and rewarding when you've tweaked the HTPC to your liking. If you're into DIY, you'd love HTPC. :emoji_thumbsup:

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
An HTPC has the best image quality you will get your hands on. Some might argue that a DVD player and a $10,000-$20,000 scaler is better, but I heartily disagree. The image from an HTPC is incredibly saturated and rich. It's VERY close to HDTV.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
For digital projectors then HTPC is most likely the best, once you set them up to be "pixel perfect", ie use a resolution that exactly matches the resolution of the projector. I wouldn't be so sure about a CRT projector coupled with really high grade scalers and quadruplers though. :)
But as has been mentioned in the thread already, it's a great "convergence device"... ie, you can use the HTPC to display DVD's with great quality, you can play MP3's through them, you can use an inexpensive TV-in card and line-double and scale TV-transmissions (or indeed any video like from a video game or a VCR), you can connect a HDTV decoder card to the HTPC and use it as a receiver... or even to view digital photographs or digital video you yourself have shot on a bigger screen.
Also, games at 100+ inches is quite something. :)
Most of all these things are only really useful if you have a data grade display like a front projector or something similar.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
For digital projectors then HTPC is most likely the best, once you set them up to be "pixel perfect", ie use a resolution that exactly matches the resolution of the projector. I wouldn't be so sure about a CRT projector coupled with really high grade scalers and quadruplers though.
I disagree- as CRT projectors also have a "sweet spot" in terms of sync rates. While some better scalers ahve enough control to dial into the ideal rates- HTPC often gives far more control. Most of the serious CRT users have HTPC at this point, unless they have scaling that costs more than $10,000. Certainly "really high grade" scalers might best HTPC, but you won't touch that quality for the price it costs to build [or even buy] a HTPC.

-Vince

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Oh, I was never even trying to claim you could get the same kind of price/performance ratio out of expensive scalers/quadruplers as a HTPC, and as you say, it's not even proved that you can best the picture quality with those expensive boxes. Just pointing out that though HTPC is a great way to get maximum performance out of a projector, it's not necessarily the only great way to do it - at least if you have tons of money.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
If I had tons of money I'd hire Vince M to worry about it for me and hook me up! As is I can only search online for his gems of advice and maybe send him a Blue Mountain Thank-you card.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks