What's new

What's your favorite app. for streaming from a local SMB share? (1 Viewer)

PSYLNT2UHD

Premium
Real Name
Michael Rozman
I have a Synology DS1522+ NAS at home mostly with 1080P and 2160P, H265, mp4 files that I'd like to stream using a projector. What applications and streaming devices do you like for this purpose? Or are some of the Projectors now coming with capable integrated apps. that can stream via SMB?
I'm going to use a projector, a BlueRay player, and I'm considering a projector in the $1300 range. I'm steering clear of DLNA or PLEX or a HTPC approach. Is it realistic to think modern UHD projectors have integrated capable apps. for streaming? I'm just" starting out with projectors, this will be my first (it will be lower end to start out).I appreciate any suggestions on what could work for viewing these mp4 files on my NAS.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
With respect, I think these two statements are in conflict:

I have a Synology DS1522+ NAS at home mostly with 1080P and 2160P, H265, mp4 files that I'd like to stream using a projector.

I'm steering clear of DLNA or PLEX or a HTPC approach.

You will need to use some kind of interface to send the material you have on your NAS to your projector. A Plex server is probably the easiest and most efficient way to accomplish this goal. Your NAS may be compatible with Plex with no further hardware, or if not, you’d use Plex on a computer to navigate the material on your NAS. You would then use a streaming box to access the material via your projector. Plex is widely compatible so which device you pick (AppleTV, Roku, etc) is up to you.

Is it realistic to think modern UHD projectors have integrated capable apps. for streaming?

Unfortunately, it is not.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I have an older Synology DS215j. I use Plex (server installed to Synology, App installed on an Apple 4K TV). The later Apple 4K TV became important to me because it supports true 24 fps, which more and more of my downloaded content comes in. My other content is typically 23.976 fps or 29.976 fps which many players support (e.g., roku, fire stick).

I also enjoy the way Plex organizes, catalogs, and tracks my viewing.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I agree with @Josh Steinberg and wonder what your reasoning might be for not wanting a Plex or HTPC solution. DLNA can be a pain so I get that part. The only UHD player I am aware of that will directly support SMB is the Oppo 203 and [if you could find one] those are selling for well north of 1K.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Oppo’s support of SMB is extremely limited and temperamental - I can’t get mine to do it reliably. Would not recommend that route at all.
Same here. My 203 was very flakey in this regard. Its kludgy file/folder navigation model was a throwback to the 90's as well. The only positive aspect of using the Oppo is that you pump your movie stream through its A/V section, which is of course top-notch.

I'd also recommend Plex, even if the OP doesn't want to go there. The benefits FAR outweigh any negatives IMO.

PSYLNT2UHD

Premium
Real Name
Michael Rozman
With respect, I think these two statements are in conflict:

You will need to use some kind of interface to send the material you have on your NAS to your projector. A Plex server is probably the easiest and most efficient way to accomplish this goal. Your NAS may be compatible with Plex with no further hardware, or if not, you’d use Plex on a computer to navigate the material on your NAS. You would then use a streaming box to access the material via your projector. Plex is widely compatible so which device you pick (AppleTV, Roku, etc) is up to you.

Unfortunately, it is not.
The last time I installed PLEX was about 10 years ago. I decided I'd give it another go after reading this post and it has improved, so thanks for that. I also noticed that I didn't have to pay anything to get it to work and the Synology approach was painless. It even allowed me to manually upgrade my ver of PLEX without a hitch.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Excellent - so glad it worked! I’ve only been using it since 2019 so I have no idea what it used to be like, but the current iteration has been incredibly useful for my household needs.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The Oppo’s support of SMB is extremely limited and temperamental - I can’t get mine to do it reliably. Would not recommend that route at all.

Same here. My 203 was very flakey in this regard. Its kludgy file/folder navigation model was a throwback to the 90's as well.
In fairness, SMB is one of the biggest surviving messes in the computer industry and, as usual, Microsoft is mostly to blame. I applaud Oppo for even trying to implement support for it but they can only work within it's very flawed framework.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks