What's new

HTM MX1000 for next to nothing... students only (1 Viewer)

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
WOW what an offer! i am a student at Texas Christian University and will prove it by using my student email to contact you. thank you very much for being so generous! YGM!

Martin G

Second Unit
The only thing I could use right now more than a good remote would be a trip to the final game, or while I am at it our first BB national championship! (and they call us a football school :P )
GO SOONERS!!!!!!!
my email is [email protected]

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
well i cant pass up the chance to win something in my lifetime, hehehe.
ill email you tomorrow from this address to prove i am a student:
[email protected]
Carnegie Mellon University
Materials Science and Engineering
ask me about ceramics :)

Mike Kao

Second Unit
Hey, my name is Mike and I attend Rutgers College at lovely downtown New Brunswick in New Jersey. I'm a freshman, and currently have my eyes set on majoring in business and/or possibly public health. Being a poor student, I've been trying to scrap together a half-decent home theater of my own with what little I have. Currently, due to finacial reasons, this project has come to a halt... hopefully a sweet new remote would help touch up the system! :)
Oh, and thanks for offering such an awesome contest! It is mighty kind of you!
[email protected]

Kevin T

Screenwriter
hey chris:
if my student id wasn't proof enough...here's undeniable proof of why i need something for free. just click the link as i don't wanna post the picture directly due to bandwidth.
http://www.gulfcoasttattoo.com/images/misc/usa_bill.jpg
kevin t
*edit: don't let the total balance fool you...i owe the full balance of the loans as well...figure i'd pay off some debt with a lower interest loan

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Dude it's not good to "show off" your balances. Some of us pay more, remember that. And it's not just for swanky schools. People have to pay more due to other circumstances as well. :)
Peace otherwise. We're all students, and we're all scroungers! :D :D

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i wasn't showing off the balance as i'm definitely not "proud" of what i owe. just putting more proof in since i don't live on campus and hence have no student email address. college id's are easy to fake but if he so wished he could call the number for the bursar and see that it's really the college i attend (actually, it's area code 251 not 334). as far as paying more or less, that's up to the individual...most people forget college is first and foremost a business and we students are consumers...if the price isn't right...you can always find it somewhere else cheaper. going to college out of state is normally a bad idea though necessary and i really have yet to figure out why colleges GOUGE students from other states. as far as degree holding goes, usually, unless you go to an ivy league school, all college degrees are equivalent...the school affixed to your diploma doesn't really matter. just don't go to basket weaving tech and you should be fine.

kevin t

Chris Souders

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I'm still following the thread and in the next few days will decide. I was hoping some people would have some ideas about an equitable decision making process, but not seeing those, I'll move the date up to probably tuesday to decide. I just have to find my instruction booklet, packed since the move.
Kevin, the only thing that concerns me about your bill is the gulfcoasttatoo place it's on :) You in that business as well? Interesting.. As for loan debt, I don't even want to get into how much I owe. Somewhere over 100 thousand but less than 150 thousand.. I don't particularly care to know precisely when it's that high. But, that's the shits when you wanna go to med school without rich parents :)
Chris

Alexis

Stunt Coordinator
Since you asked Chris, how about giving the remote out to someone who reminds you of you. Like someone who is in med school, about to graduate in a couple years, who will be in lots of debt, but who can't tolerate a poor sounding home theater...

Maybe in about half a decade at least, I'll be able to pass off your remote to another student.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I'm a full-time student at George Mason University in northern Virginia. Thanks much for the offer Chris, I sent you an email via my school address for proof.
Here's my remote situation minus a PS2 remote if you're interested:
remotes.jpg

I'd shell out for a Cinema 7 or Rat Shack 2000 model which has the volume punch through and macros but no tengo el dinero. Congrats to whoever the winner is, I also think it's a great idea to pass the remote off to another student when (or if ;)) the winner graduates.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
chris:

the gulf coast tattoo address is the business where my girlfriend ("brandy" on the website) is a body piercer. i maintain their website on a pro bono basis as i'd rather not get paid as i don't have much time for site updates. i figure it's valuable experience plus it awards me access to their ftp server for my own personal image hosting. hence the "/images/misc/" subcategories. i put all my auction and what not pix in the "/misc" folder to keep them out of the way of the other photos on the site. hope this clears up the matter.

kevin t

Jeffrey D Smith

Stunt Coordinator
As far as selecting people I would do one of two things:
1)Give it to the first person that replied. Fair, but little fun for everyone else.
2)Just do a random selection. A "eny meany minny moe" so of thing. :)
If you want to go with a prior suggestion of identifying someone like yourself, I have a feeling everyone will want to repost with there life story. Just my thoughts.
In regards to an earlier comment about "Gauging" out of state students. In state students and families pay income taxes, sales taxes, etc that all go to support that school. Out of state students do not, thus they are forced to make up that difference to a certain degree, thats all. Part of my parents decision on where to live was based on what colleges the state had, believe it or not, it was a big decision. With 5 boys and very little money they settled on Indiana because of the diverse high quality CHEAP schools that were here. Each of us has had to pay our own way through, but going to a state school definitley makes that much easier for us. The point is, by living in Indiana, Indiana recieves alot of money and services from my family that an out of state student doesn't provide for the state. So again, they are charged more to make up some of that difference. The idea serves two purposes really. 1 is the money inflow, and the other is that it allows the school to provide more oppertunities to students living in the state at a lower more affordable cost.
Whew! Hope that all makes sense. :)

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i think that you should give the remote out on a 'financial-aid'-type basis. ;)
people such as myself whose parents pay for their tuition should not be in the running IMO. i think you should hand it over to one of the people here who has to pay their way through college. thankfully (and luckily), my parents decided to pick up the bill on my education. i would feel bad getting this remote when someone else on the board who is working harder than me to support himself is walking away empty-handed.
congrats to whoever wins!

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
i vote you do this in true geek like fashion, and use a pseudorandom number generator. just assign everyone who participated a number, and then pick a random number from that set. its geeky, and its fair...

Jeffrey Schlak

Auditioning
Wow this is unbelievable that you are doing this! I am a graduate student at the University of Toledo pursuing my Doctor of Pharmacy degree. I have been in school way too long, I am sure you can feel for me since you went through med school. I think I am the first one on this thread that is not a computer/engineering student. I think I know a unique way to respond to an emergency med doctor. I will email you!

-Jeff Schlak

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
I still like his idea with the cat. Not only does one of us benefit (that grammar sounds funny...), the cat does as well!

Chris Souders

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
First, I happily got my marantz 9200 remote. It's gonna take me a while to figure this one out. It is quite nice though and the display is very colorful. God, I wonder if I'd give it away if something better comes out :)
Anyways, since I got my new remote,this evening was the night. I decided on not picking the winner, and letting my cat Maya do it. She's a domestic shorthair, very puny. She loves these little pet toy mice. So, I took two white ones, with identical pink ears and freshness out of the bag and numbered the tails #1 and #2.
I seperated the 32 people who asked to be considered for the remote into a bracketing system, and each was odd or even. I then took the mice, swirled them around in my hand so as to not know which was which, and threw them across the room. Maya would hunt them down and whichever she would grab in her mouth would be the winner. I did this 31 times and have determined the winner.
For those that want to see if you were close...
Semifinals pitched David Schofield against Mark Larson, and Kevin Turner against Steven K. David and Kevin won.
In the long awaited battle between David and Kevin, Maya picked...
Kevin Turner (who was, incidentally, the second person to respond to this request)
So, If you are him, email me and we'll arrange the transaction. You have one week to respond, or it will go to the runnerup.
Thanks to everybody for writing. Thanks for the compliments. The scoring sheets can be emailed to anyone for private viewing should they contest the race :)
Chris Souders

I'm a student, but I think you have enough people that are wanting it. But I must say that this is friggin awsome of you to do this!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks