HTM MX1000 for next to nothing... students only

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Souders, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Chris Souders

Chris Souders Stunt Coordinator

Hey,
    Now that I have a real job, I'm upgrading remotes to the marantz color pronto clone. Therefore, my mx1000 will no longer be needed.
    Less the cost of shipping, I'll give it away to a high school or college student. I have no box, but the unit is fine, with instructions and computer cord. You can read plenty about it at remotecentral.com.
    So, prove to me you are a student however you see fit, and I'll pick someone in a few days. I'll ship it and kindly ask for a reimbursement of shipping costs.
    Feel free to email me with questions,
    Chris Souders
    [email protected]

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I'm not a student & not going to fake being a student [​IMG] But I would like to say this is a really generous offer, Chris. The membership of the HTF continually find ways to impress me!

3. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i'm currently a student taking classes at night at the university of south alabama. here is my horrendous college id, laugh if you will:
    [​IMG]
    that's about all the proof i can provide. good enough?
    kevin t

4. Scott Falkler

Scott Falkler Second Unit

Man, what a guy!
    I am a student and would like to be considered for this.
    For proof, here's my school email address!
    [email protected]
    (Oklahoma State, of course)
    What a great place HTF is!!!
    Thanks to all that make this site what it is-
    Scott Falkler

5. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

Hi Chris,
    I am a poor UF college student building my HT system instead of paying tuition. I would love to add that remote to it [​IMG] My UF email address is: [email protected]
    You can also look at my web page at:
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/cdoggy81/chris0.html
    I am working on my HT web page and hope to have it up soon.
    Let me know if you need anything else.
    Thanks soooo much for such a nice offer [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Hope I'm the lucky one.
    Chris

6. Jeffrey D Smith

Jeffrey D Smith Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] This would be so perfect for what I need right now.
    I attend Purdue University in Indiana for Electrical Engineering Technology.
    I'm going to email my "proof" to you to avoid any bots picking up my info off of the post. Hope you don't mind.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

7. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Sent you an email. [​IMG]
    Adam Koebel

8. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

YGmoreM [​IMG]
    (Edit: just realized that I mistook the remote model that you are offering in my email. Me=Dumb)

9. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Im a student at UNLV and I think it is a crime what they did to the Oilers, but at least you snuck two in while Jordan retired. Hey you got the Texans now and an extra remote so give it up to someone who needs it. Remember, I root for UNLV, how sad is that?

10. Evan Hartnett

Evan Hartnett Stunt Coordinator

I'm a student at Southern New Hampshire University, I don't ahve a scanner but you can e-mail me at [email protected] (it was New Hampshire college until this year, that's why it's nhc.edu). I'll try to get a picture of my ID, just so you guys can laugh at it [​IMG]

11. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

Here's what it looks like:
    [​IMG]
    Or for a closer look click here

12. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

I'll send you a PM with all this info, but:
    I'm a student at the University of Michigan, Engineering school, for computer engineering. I don't have a scanner nor a digicam to take pics with, but I'll send you links to a recent concert I performed in....but I don't know if they have dated pictures.....I'll figure something out.
    Anyway, looking to upgrade stuff soon, and this remote would a great start. I don't know how you'll decide, so I won't blabber anymore. [​IMG]
    Lastly, I think this is very generous of you. Now, who has a SVS they want to donate to the collective college student fund here? ^_^

13. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Holy crap! I just did a search on that thing.....that's no "I lost it in the couch, oh well, I'll buy a new one" remote controller!

Just commenting. You generous man you. Congrats to whoever wins it.

14. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

Hey Chris,
    Hope you consider me. I'm a Mechanical Engineering PhD student at University of California, Davis. My e-mail is [email protected]
    Unfortunately, the only good thing I have to say about Houston is how close it is to Galveston. Otherwise, I'm sorry you have to live in that concrete jungle [​IMG] AUSTIN RULES!!! (got my MS at UT).

15. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Chris: Dang... that sure is nice of you to do this! I'm not a student, but I'm considering going back for my doctorate just to get this. [​IMG]
    Are you at The Tub? Just wondering, cause I saw your RR address.

16. Andrew S

Andrew S Stunt Coordinator

I'm a high school student as well, and as much as it'd be cool to have, with my extremely modest setup, giving me that remote would be like putting a $10,000 dollar car alarm in a $300 car. So I'm not asking to be considered for the remote.. I just wanted to comment on your generousity as many have done already. Nowhere else on the interent will you find someone willing to give away something as nice as that for free. I just hope someday if I ever have something extra lying around, expensive or not, I might be able to be as generous as you. Maybe I'll save this post and read it again in about 20 years to remind myself.
    Just thought I'd express my opinion because i thought you deserved one extra thank you.
    Andrew

17. Andy Overby

Andy Overby Stunt Coordinator

Chris,
    My name is Andy Overby and Im a student at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro (www.uncg.edu) and my email there is ([email protected]) as a Computer Science/Mathematics Double Major and I attend night classes at my local Community College - Rockingham Community College (http://www.rcc.cc.nc.us/) trying to attain my certificate for AutoCAD Design.
    I would like to get you a picture of my ID's, but there is no easy way available to me.
    I would really love to get a remote like this to help start my Home theater obsession.
    Thanks for being so greatly generous.
    Andy

18. Chris Souders

Chris Souders Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

Wow, I'm overwhelmed at the generous comments people are putting my way. Thank you for that.

To answer a few questions some have posed (privately or otherwise)... I am in Houston, I'm a emergency medicine doctor, but I primarily work for the city fire department who runs 911. I'm one of 5 docs who train the firefighters and paramedics so they do a good job. Additionally, I am lucky enough to have a response vehicle with lights and sirens and can patrol the city and go to whatever strikes my interest over the radio. That's the coolest part of the job and my parents were less than thrilled when I told em that... "You spent all that time and money in med school just so you could drive with lights and sirens?!?"

So, I'm 30 now, and having my first job ever has afforded me with a decent salary...deferred compensation in a sense.

So, I am spoiling myself with a new remote which I'm sure will take me years to learn. Really it's the color that has me excited.

So that's my story, pretty simple.

I've also been surprised at the number of responses and trying to figure out the process to decide who gets it. I'm going to make my decision by this Thursday and mail it out friday. I'm willing to take suggestions for a fair/equitable/just hope I don't hurt anyone's feelings method of deciding. Initially my thought was to take the post that impressed me the most in whatever way, but there's more than one of those. Then maybe I could label cat treats and throw a bunch out to my cat and whoever he ate first would get it. I think my cat is pretty impartial. A little bit of ink shouldn't bother him anyways.

So, I'm allowing a few more days for those that don't check the board as often as I do waiting on an Outlaw 950 update..

Thanks so much for all the nice complements and I'll update on here as it seems appropriate.

Chris Souders

19. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

Hi,
    My name is Scott Bourden, and I will be going to college this summer. I decided to work after coming out of highschool, and now have enough money saved up to actually go to college (I am 19, almost 20). Due to the heavy workload expected, I will most likely have to quit my job, or have my hours cut so low that I won't be able to afford anything but the basic's (food, shelter, the usual). I saved up my "extra" cash for the past 2 years to afford my current setup, and a nice remote would really help clean up my mess of 4 remotes (tv, DVD, VHS and reciever) that I have to use seperately.
    Honestly, no, I do not deserve the remote, I'm sure there are others here who are much more needy or short on funds. Just thought I'd toss in my plea none the less, a man can dream, no? [​IMG]
    And on a side note, this is an amazing thing you are doing, I've never seen a situation like this, where somebody is giving away something for absolutly nothing. It's quite refreshing to see there actually are generous and decent people out there.

20. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

Lovely offer here, Chris.
    You got PM.
    This is a very altruistic offer - we need more like this! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    So who was the lucky guy?