What's new

HTIB Questions and requesting suggestions (1 Viewer)

Whybother

Auditioning
Real Name
derka derk
Hi guys, I have been trying to do my research on home theater and I have some questions. Does anybody know anything about Samsungs new line of vacuum tube amp HTIBs? The specific one I'm asking about is the E6530. I like the connectivity and the aesthetics but I have not found any reviews online about the sound quality of this system. Also, is it possible to switch out the passive subwoofer in this system for a powered one?
Another HTIB that I am interested in is the Sony HTSF470. I like how it has a powered subwoofer (1000W!!) and plenty of reviews stating that it has "too much bass".
I am also open to suggestions, my budget is around 700$ and I am living in Canada, if that makes a difference.
Thanks for reading guys, I'm hoping for some good feedback!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I would shy away from HTIB's altogether. Down the road, they are more trouble than they are worth.

You can pick up a Yamaha YHT-395BL on Amazon for $399 USD, which includes a full home theater receiver (RX-V471) and a decent (but not great) 5.1 speaker package. Add on a Blu-ray player, such as a Sony BDP-S390 for $106 USD, and you've saved about $100.

The nice thing is, later on, you can upgrade the speakers without too much difficulty. The big issue with HTIB's are that they tend to use propietary speakers and/or speaker connections, and the speakers are usually of inferior quality. There is also the issue with the number of inputs on an HTIB, and they are usually very limited.

Also, in terms of audio, Samsung is pretty far down on the list, and Sony is not that much higher.

Most enthusiasts on the forum like Onkyo and Denon, and many will admit that Yamaha comes in a close third. I happen to like Yamaha, as they seem to give a bit more bang for the buck, particularly on their receivers. The speakers are okay, but are likely much better than the Samsung or Sony that come with the HTIB, so not a bad choice for a starter kit.

Whybother

Auditioning
Real Name
derka derk
Thanks for the reply. I realize that in regards to quality home theatre, Samsung and Sony are not at the top. I don"t know if this is just marketing hype but the E6530 just came out this year and I read that it is supposed to be Samsungs attempt at matching the big names like Bose etc in terms of aestetics and sound quality. Is it possible that this new HTIB can match a receiver/speakers/sub combo?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
While having a tube amp sounds like a great idea the 6530 still has all the things we don't like about htib's. 3 ohm speakers of rather poor quality, limited connectivity, weak amp sections (1000 watts my...it only pulls 127 watts from the wall and tube amps must be very in-effecient), and only a 70 db s/n ratio (some stand-alone receivers are well over 100 db) and if one part breaks, like the subwoofer or bluray player, then you have to scrap the whole thing.
Htib's are fine for bedrooms, dorms, etc. but i wouldn't pay over $350 for one. Higher then that and look for an Onkyo receiver/speaker package or try and piece something together. Sorry, but you find much love around here for any htib in that price range. Or Bose either...:) .

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Also, to answer your question about passive vs. active subs - no, you cannot add an active subwoofer to a system that lacks a subwoofer pre-out. If good bass performance is a criteria for you, stick with an active sub.
Yet another reason to build a system around a real A/V receiver - component and speaker flexibility.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
As other have said, this system is designed for eas of use over audio quality and flexibility. Very much like Bose. The speakers are proprietary and 3 ohms, so you can never upgrade. There is limitied connectivity options. And the audio performance is poor (mains only go down to 140 Hz, sub only goes down to 40 Hz, unspecified but low power output based on the input characteristics). On the other hand, they do provide network and USB playback of numerous audio/video codecs (although not as many as a good receiver). So, if convenience and looks are the primary considerations it couldn't hurt to hear one. Like Bose they probably are tuned for mid-range. Regardless, the key would be to play music/video tracks that you like and are very familiar with.
The vacuum tube amp is a gimmick, and also contradictory. Tubes are high maintenance, requiring warm-up, adjustment, and frequent replacement. HTiBs are designed for ease of set-up and use. The two don't make sense together. Nothing is mentioned in their literature regarding the tubes and what benefit is gained, they just throw out "tube" and "vinyl" and hope nostalgia does the rest of the marketing for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks