What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
FYI:

We all know that opinions often differ when describing a titles 3D strength.

Found that Oppo has a unique 3D setting in the Setup Menu that affects this experience.

[FONT=BlinkMacSystemFont, -apple-system, open sans, sans-serif]This is a z-plane expansion setting that digitally controls expansion of the z-plane that builds the visible structure-placement of the 3D image landscape. A native-3D feature, not an artificial [/FONT]conversion[FONT=BlinkMacSystemFont, -apple-system, open sans, sans-serif].[/FONT]

Until now, my “3D TV Size” setting has been set @ 65, matching my LG’s screen size.

Now, I am setting and leaving the setting @ 999 for full expansion of the available 3D encoded information.

View attachment 67584
My player has a similar 3D setting for screen size. I've never understood what it does, why it's necessary, or how things would be affected by changing it. I'll have to play around with it this weekend, maybe. I've always just set it around the size of my screen (~90 inches).

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
My player has a similar 3D setting for screen size. I've never understood what it does, why it's necessary, or how things would be affected by changing it. I'll have to play around with it this weekend, maybe. I've always just set it around the size of my screen (~90 inches).
Hope it creates the same experience!
Now I'm enjoying some "weak" 3D titles that never impressed me before.
Like: LAIKA'S Box Trolls 3D :3dglasses:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
The Yogi Bear movie was much better than I thought it would be. Beautiful CGI and 3D. Dan did good with the Yogi voice. The Boo Boo voice sounded like somebody who had never watched the show in their life and was just told how to do it. :D I bought this for the Looney Tune 3D short but the movie made a great bonus. Not perfect, but it took me back.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
FYI:

Found that Oppo has a unique 3D setting in the Setup Menu that affects this experience.

This is a z-plane expansion setting that digitally controls expansion of the z-plane that builds the visible structure-placement of the 3D image landscape. A native-3D feature, not an artificial conversion.

Until now, my “3D TV Size” setting has been set @ 65, matching my LG’s screen size.

Now, I am setting and leaving the setting @ 999 for full expansion of the available 3D encoded information.

View attachment 67584

interesting Paul!, 2 of my 4 players have a size setting, not sure what the largest value is but I will definitely have a look!.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The Yogi Bear movie was much better than I thought it would be. Beautiful CGI and 3D. Dan did good with the Yogi voice. The Boo Boo voice sounded like somebody who had never watched the show in their life and was just told how to do it. :D I bought this for the Looney Tune 3D short but the movie made a great bonus. Not perfect, but it took me back.

I felt the opposite about the performances. I thought Aykroyd was just okay as Yogi but Timberlake was very good as BB!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Going back to watch movies that had a lot of ghosting/crosstalk in some scenes like Final Destination and My Bloody Valentine on my BenQ HT3550 projector - not anymore!

I should do that with some that looked iffy on my Panny plasma - I suspect they'll seem more effective on my LG OLED.

Though I have such a backlog of stuff to watch, maybe I should view that stuff first! ;)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm probably going to be watching The Amazing Spider-Man 2 in 3D sometime today or tonight. I've never seen the Andrew Garfield version of the character, so it's going to be interesting jumping into the second one without having seen his first effort.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm probably going to be watching The Amazing Spider-Man 2 in 3D sometime today or tonight. I've never seen the Andrew Garfield version of the character, so it's going to be interesting jumping into the second one without having seen his first effort.
Why are you skipping the first? It’s better and sets up the characters motivations for the second film.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
FYI:

This is a z-plane expansion setting that digitally controls expansion of the z-plane that builds the visible structure-placement of the 3D image landscape. A native-3D feature, not an artificial conversion.

View attachment 67584
I was watching Skull Island last night and didn’t finish it. So this afternoon I tried the above changes and didn’t notice a discernible difference.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

For what it’s worth, I like the second one more than the first - better 3D, better action, more fun. It’s a bit of a mess and the movie most similar to it in my mind is Batman Forever, but I thought it was a reasonably fun big dumb comic movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks