What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Wool Cap (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

The Wool Cap

Studio: Paramount

Year: 2004

Rated: PG-13

Length: 90 Minutes

Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1

Audio: Dolby Digital English 5.1

Special Features: None

SRP: $14.99 USD

Release Date: June 14, 2005

William H. Macy is one of the most underrated actors working today - and he proves that in The Wool Cap. Macy stars as Gigot, the gruff, mute superintendent of a broken-down urban apartment building. He gives a truly compelling performance without ever speaking a word.

When he unwittingly becomes the guardian of a street-smart 12 year old girl, Lou (Keke Palmer), whose mother has disappeared in a drug induced walkabout, he learns more about himself and the power of love and forgiveness than he ever learned before.

Shades of Paper Moon, the film (co-written by Macy) is based on the story “Gigot” by Jackie Gleason. The film was made for cable, appearing on TNT as a Johnson & Johnson Spotlight Presentation.

Despite a few overly saccharine moments, this is a powerful film. It will induce both tears and laughter as it delivers its message about the resilience of the human spirit.

Aside from Macy’s excellent performance, you’ll take note of the young Palmer’s impressive performance as well. Don Rickles provides some nice color as a resident in Gigot’s building. The cast is well rounded out with the likes of Ned Beatty and Catherine O’Hara.

An excellent little film. See it.

The Transfer
The Wool Cap is presented in a 1.78:1 aspect ratio, and it is anamorphically enhanced. The image is impressively detailed, presenting a very good level of sharpness while exhibiting only minor, occasional edge enhancement artifacts.

The picture boasts excellent contrast, delivering strong black levels while maintaining detail in the shadows. Whites are bright without blowing out. Colors are nicely saturated.

The occasional appearances of mild haloing or mosquito noise are very mild and really not an issue.

I’m impressed by the quality of this made-for-cable film.

The sound is presented in Dolby Digital, in 5.1 channels. The track features excellent frequency response, offering solid bass and clear highs. There is good use of panning across the front soundstage, and adequate use of the rear channels when surrounds are called for.

Special Features
None

Final Thoughts
I was really impressed with the story, and blown away by the performances in this little film. A few overly saccharine moments in the presentation aren’t enough to dispel my admiration for this film. Though there are no extras, Paramount delivers a solid transfer of this made-for-tv gem.

Recommended.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i was hoping for an anouncement of Gigot along with this but it hasnt happened.

glad to hear it's a good presentation.

i didint get to watch the whole show when it was on tv.

guess i'll have to dig out my old copy of gigot that i have packed away somewere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks