What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I can understand the criticism about the stereo not being as indicated on the box, but comments such as the one I quoted above is one of the reasons why studio representatives are reluctant to participate on this forum. Despite the lack of stereo on the dvd for a less than $15.00 purchase price, you still get a very good dvd package from Fox.

Crawdaddy

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Despite the lack of stereo on the dvd for a less than $15.00 purchase price, you still get a very good dvd package from Fox
We are getting wonderful discs for the money. I won't dispute Mr. Crawford's statement. I for one would pay more money if that is what it takes to have the best possible elements used to make these DVDs. It seems as though Fox is making an extra effort to make this line of DVDs a prestigious one. So why omit true stereo tracks if these tracks actually exist? If the problem is $$$$, then I'd rather see extras such as the trailers & newsreels left out.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I agree with youof course Jeff. Worse, when true stereo tracks used to sound good (Affair to remember) we get bad sounding stereo tracks on AFFAIR not once but twice. There is no excuse for this. Peter Staddon, you can email me directly at [email protected]

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
An Affair to Remember sounds bad? Perhaps I'm just accustomed to bad sounding stuff, being the film score fan I am.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan, send me your email address - be glad to make a cd demo of the tracks of the laser compared to the dVD of Affair to remember - would love to send one to Peter Staddon too.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Good grief. Leave these poor films alone! They were not recorded or designed for stereo. Even the music stems that were recorded (directionally) were designed to better mix the music to mono. Although a pleasing stereo-like sound can be gotten from these stems, the result coming from my speakers are unlike any orchestral setup I have ever heard.
And unless the studio has separate dialogue and soundeffect stems, the "stereo" music must be laid over the entire soundtrack at a greater volume level in order to be heard. And even if they had all these separate elements, we all know what a complete remix can do to the integrity of the original film. Good mono sound like good black and white photography and great 1:33 picture ratio is fine with me. I know we have these buzz words that seem to sell discs...anamorphic enhanced, stereo, color, yada yada yada. I am just fine and happy with a great transfer from restored elements for DVD.
I do agree that the spread out mono on these discs are appalling, but I just prefer to listen to the original mono tracks myself. At least, they give us that choice.

John

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Thanks for the voice of reason, John. How are the new projects coming along? I'm really looking forward to the Korngold spectacular...

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I know what John is saying, but it seems to me like if a stereo track is going to be offered, remixing from directional stems is prefereable to processed mono. I agree that if isolated dialog and effects tracks are not available, a stereo music only track would be nice, but I have no use for a stereo sync-up of the soundtrack.

I am very happy that they are including the mono track in these cases, though.

Regards,

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Well, Ken, I think most of these films we are discussing here are available from original tracks on legit CDs, and where possible, mixed to stereo.

And thanks for asking, Peter...Yeah ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD will be our first DVD 5.1 audio. It sounded terrific over "there" and I look forward to hearing the first edits next month. Luckily, we made it back before the war started. We also did Adventures of Mark Twain in 5.1 sound. I wish Warners would put out this film. It seems like a good time for Mark Twain and it would help our sales!

Tiomkin's RED RIVER and A Steiner Bette Davis CD will precede Robin Hood, which is slated for September to coincide with the Warner special DVD of the film.

Gosh, I am more irritated that the DVD of MAD WORLD lacks the overture, that THE QUIET MAN looks horrible, no KING KONG this year, etc., than to worry about ersatz stereo on mono films, although I am sure there will be those who criticize our Robin Hood recording as being done in 5.1 sound as Korngold didn't write it for 5.1 sound in 1938. Oh Well....

Actually I wish Fox would do a deluxe set of the Charlie Chan and Mr. Moto films on DVD. That shows you my proclivities.

John

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Twenty years ago I just avoided watching anything old that didn't star the Marx Brothers or James Cagney. Today, 39 years too late, I am discovering Hepburn, Davis, Grant, Lancaster, Potier, Powell, Loy, and more!
:D :D

So glad we're converting you to the dark (or rather shades of gray) side.

I'm very pleased you liked The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. My first exposure to this was from the cheesy TV show by the same name so when I caught this once on AMC I wasn't too interested but Gene Tierney is just too beautiful to change channels.

I was SO pleasantly surprised. You hit the nail on the head. The score is wistful and powerful yet it captures the melancholia of a story which, oddly, doesn't feel melancholy until afterward. The beauty of it supersedes the sadness and I daresay Tierney and that lovely pastoral seaside location are responsible.

This is definitely a film that grows on you and I very much look forward to adding it to my collection.

Thank you Ron for doing such justice to this wonderful little film that too often gets short shrift because of that goofy TV show.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
John, it's great to see you on this forum. :emoji_thumbsup:

Do you have any plans to release The Adventures of Robin Hood or any other recordings on SACD in addition to DVD-A? I know Naxos has released several SACDs in addition to their DVD-As. Thanks.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Watched this dvd again this weekend when I surprised my parents with this dvd during our visit. Thoroughly enjoyed this and found the presentation to be first rate. Bravo Fox and thanks for giving us the classics on dvd! :emoji_thumbsup:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My wife and I watched this last night for the first time in years, and it looks marvelous! Fox did a great job on this disc, and of course the film is wonderful. The smart script and strong, intelligent female lead really put this film ahead of its time. Rex Harrison is of course great as Captain Gregg, but in my opinion it's Gene Tierney who's the real standout here. Her performance as Lucy Muir just sparkles with wit and character. She makes the film, and I can't imagine any other actress in the part. I'd love to see more of her work, like Laura, Night and the City and Leave Her to Heaven, restored and released on DVD.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Awesome news Dave! Thanks for the heads-up. I'll be adding this to my preorder list ASAP. Can't say I care much for that cover art though. Yuck!

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Can't say I care much for that cover art though. Yuck!
I guess we're stuck with the "Noggin' Cover" forevermore except for very rare instances. I know who is in a movie usually without having to have the Studio plaster two heads on the cover of the DVD. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I watched The Ghost and Mrs. Muir last night. Great film! :emoji_thumbsup:

Not a big deal, but I was wondering if anyone else noticed the image jittering a bit, especially in the latter half.

Not a huge issue, but if it's a problem specific to my disc, I'd be inclined to exchange it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks