What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I don't think Fox did a stereo mix from directional microphone multis for this release. I am grateful that they included the mono track which sounds pretty good to my ears. Most of the Fox Studio Classics with both stereo and mono tracks have reprocessed stereo, even if other options existed. A notable exception is "How Green Was My Valley".

Regards,

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
Regarding what Ben D said: I noticed it too. The sound gets noticeably worse in the last reel of the picture. The music gets very tinny, especially compared to the preceding kitchen scene where it sounds great. Maybe the final reel was damaged back in 1947 and all prints of the film sounded this way? - I never saw it in a theater.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Fox most certainly DOES have multi tracks for Ghost music but it was not used for the dvd.
Many of these multitracks have been used for CD releases.
But it is odd as to what Fox decided to record in multitrack and what not to. Not every A film got the multitrack recording. A films like Song of bernadette, Dragonwyck, and Keys of the Kingdom do NOT have it. Most of How Green was My Valley has it but several key scenes do not. ( I remixed this film for stereo laserdisc and that mix is on the new dvds.)
Fox also has multitrack for other films such as Prince of Foxes, Captain from Castille, My Cousin Rachel, David and Bathsheba. It would be great to hear this mixed for true stereo dvd instead of this weird mono spread that Fox does on all of their mono dvd clasics. Its tough to know with upcoming releases which are true stereo and which are not.
An upcoming studio classics release, Three Faces of Eve, was four track stereo in the theaters. That track has been missing for years. Has Fox found it for the dvd or is it another fake stereo ka ka. One doesn't know until one buys the disc!!

Ben_D

Agent
I bought a second copy, but it's the same: sound in the final scene is much worse than all that preceded it. Thanks to Bill Huelbig for confirming I'm not crazy. My VHS copy doesn't have any noticeable drop in sound quality at the end of the film. It's especially disappointing given that the film's finale is so moving.

And this time I noticed the jitter. I loved the extras, especially the commentaries, but I wish someone at Fox would work on this film's presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks