What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Sin City Unrated Special Edition - Sinfully Recommended (1 Viewer)

Mark E J

Second Unit
Are you sure that only 8 minutes of actual footage has been added?

RR said in a interview that the uncut version of That Yellow Bastard was 45 minutes long, about 7 min longer than the theatrical cut. that leaves only 1 minute spread between The Hard Goodbye and The Big Fat Kill.

Also if you have read the Novels could lets us know if they really are uncut or are ther still scenes missing in the knew cut.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
between 7-10 depending on who has seen and compared...

13-15 minutes of additional credits, I believe...

;)

MikeGale

Agent
Excellent review. I'm glad I held off buying the bare bones version. As a technical note, DTS takes up a lot of room on a DVD, so I'd bet the reason they left off the DTS tracks on Disk 2 was to make sure the picture quality would not be compromised. And it's indicative of either what short memories or little taste film critics have in that I have not seen this on anyone's 10 Best List of 2005 -- where it clearly belongs.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I must say that it is a slightly disappointing disc but since I don't have the first one, I'll get this one anyway.

I would have preferred NO comic book and 20 plus minutes of ACTUAL FOOTAGE instead of a mixture of footage and credits. And yes, a lack of a 'play all' function is a careless omission.

Maybe instead of a comic book, there could have been a third disc of extras, with disc 2 being the recut version with DTS (and play all) to make everyone happy.

$30 is steep for a DVD AND comic book, the latter of which I already own and thus do not want another.

JeffLab

Stunt Coordinator
I for one am sorely disappointed in the shortcomings of the audio track, have been since the first day I watched it, and have complained about it since. I had been hoping they would fix the dialogue noise for the re-release, but no such luck.
Its a shame, because I really loved the story, but I just can't bring myself to watch it again.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the great review! I passed on the first release for this one, so if the original cut is still there, then the SE seems like a no brainer. I don't watch extras as obsessively as I used to, but these ones seem to be genuinely worth going through. The price is a little high, but I suppose that if it does come with the trade, then it's a decent buy. Of course, I already have all of the comics, so perhaps I'll just give this copy away.

Perhaps the "even more extended edition" will be released to tie in with Sin City 2?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Pictures of the set now posted in the main review above (thanks to Rafael!).

I'll stress that if you can not think of this as a "new extended director's cut" but rather think of it as the original theatrical release (with no-compromise picture and sound) with a boat-load of bonus material, then you've got every reason to acquire this new edition.

RafaelB

Second Unit
I doubt that Robert Rodriguez would add anything else to the extended cuts of the stories, since pretty much all of the material in the graphic novels is already on there.

I think there was slightly more to the Hard Goodbye story when I re-read it this weekend, but I would be surprised if RR even filmed it. This seems fairly comprehensive. ;)

Rafael.

Joe D

Supporting Actor

But there is an audio compromise on the disc!

I still picked up the release because I didn't have the first release, I just wished they would have fixed the audio hiss.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
quite true. I guess I was thinking about the otherwise awesome DTS presentation...but yes, the native issues with the ADR noise/hiss on some of the spoken dialogue may be an issue for some folks. However, I think it's now integral part of the mix and I'm not sure, apart from re-recording the dialogue, how they could get rid of it.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
WARNING!!!

Apparently the Canadian DVD does NOT have DTS on the theatrical cut on Disc 1.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...76#post2876076

It appears to have been scrapped to make way for a French Language Track (also a french track for the new cut on disc 2 on the Canadian Disc).

BEWARE!!! Canadian buyers who want to watch this film with its orignal language may want to consider importing the U.S. disc.

Mark E J

Second Unit
You know, I've been looking at the numbers being thrown around at various websites regarding the running time and actual extra footage.

It seems to me that we should have about 15 actual extra minutes not 8 to 10.

heres how I've broken it down:

TC = 124min

EC = 147min

A diffrence of 23 min.

However the TC's running time also includes 6 min of credits on the end and 2 on the front. So there is only 116 min of actual footage on the TC.

147min - 116min = 31min.

Now take out the 16min of credits that is supposed to be on the EC and you have 15min of actual footage added.

Am I wrong?

15min should be more than enough to present the complete comics on film.

The Big Fat Kill only had 2 brief scenes removed, putting them back probably would take less than a minute of screen time.

The Customer is Always Right had no footage removed.

So that leaves about 13 to 14min to split between The Hard Goodbye and That Yellow Bastard.

That should be enough to put back all the major scenes (most of which is small but pivotal scene extentions and extra dialouge and/or narration.) removed from the TC.

RafaelB

Second Unit
Mark-

That is almost exactly correct with your assumptions on running times of the extended cuts.

I sem to recall that the bulk of extra footage was for That Yellow Bastard as it was the longest running of the ones on Disc 2. I can check my discs when I get home and post back here.

Rafael.

Soah

Agent
just a question or two from a canadian for those who have the US edition of this release

1) what is the content of the insert I see in the pics?

2) is the hard goodbye included hardcover or softcover?

thanks.

RafaelB

Second Unit
Allright, the running times for the recut versions are:

The Hard Goodbye- 40.57
(4.30 of credits)

Yellow Bastard- 47.23
(4.48 of credits)

Big Fat Kill- 44.49
(4.22 of credits)

Customer Is Always Right- 8.24
(4.10 of credits)

I also failed to mention that the end credits are tailored to each episode, meaning only the cast featured in that particular section is listed... (if that helps anything).

Rafael.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm disappointed that they did not fix the audio issues. I found it very distracting the first time I popped in the rental. In any case, I picked this new version up yesterday and am glad to have it! Thanks for the stellar review!

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I wonder, tho, if it is required by union rules? I have a feeling it probably is, which is why we get credits at the end of all of these.

Jason

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Rafael,

thanks for all your diligent work on this! I've incorporated your run-times into the main review.

dave :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks