What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Robocop Trilogy (1 Viewer)

Jacob_isham

Stunt Coordinator

It's tempting to say the director's cut is over the top, since many of us were already used to the theatrical cut by the time, we saw it. There director's cut is superior, thought not by much. It makes some of the scenes that little bit more humerous, like when the guy gets shot down in the board room by ed-209. It also adds a darker twist to some scenes. I can see why verhoven was told to tone it down for the theatrical release though, it makes good financial sence to broaden the scope of the movie to as wide an audience as possible.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike

Respectfully, could we PLEASE not go down this path AGAIN? Dig up 10 year old threads on Usenet, but don't do it here. The horse is dead, turned to glue, licked, sent, and already in the Secaucus landfill.

Mike

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
What bugs me the most about this set is the packaging. Like Close Encounters, you have to open it like the sides of a box, but with one more flap. I don't want to open my DVDs on a table.

I haven't popped it in yet since the kids are still up.

Mike

Rob T

Screenwriter
I wasn't planning on getting it now because I was thinking it would be like at least $40, but when I was looking around in Wal-mart today, I saw it for $24.83 and I was salivating right there. I had to get it. :D

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
I went to my Best Buy here in Canada today to buy this set and when I discovered there weren't any on the shelves. So I asked a rep for an inventory check and they said there were none in stock or in transit and none of the other Best Buy's had it.

And yet it was advertised in their flyer this week. They asked me to check back next Tuesday. I'll check other stores tomorrow. However, I am a bit disappointed. :frowning:

WillG

Senior HTF Member

As some has pointed out, you can get it from DVDSoon for like about $16.50 after you convert the dollars from Canadian to American. That's what I did, although I get the feeling by the time it arrives it's going to be more like DVDEternity.

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
Harminder,

I would check other stores like Music World, Sunrise Records, Sam The Record Man, and HMV since they seem to be on the ball when it comes to new releases including catalog titles. I find that big chains like Best Buy and Future Shop only tend to get the current major releases and if the movie wasnt made in the last year or so than they won't have it for a little while and when they do they will only get one copy if their lucky. This happened to me with Cocoon, Cocoon: The Return, and Stay Hungry most recently.

-Mike

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig

Will: Maybe not, I got mine from them already, for you it'll take a few days extra to clear customs.

For others around TO, Wal-Mart seemed to have plenty for a reasonable price. Lots of the other re-releases for this week were not seen anywhere though, and I only saw Field of Dreams at a Loblaws, of all places...

Greg K

Second Unit
Maybe its just me, but I think the Criterion disc is better in terms of image/sound quality.

The image on the Criterion disc is low-key and stark, which fits the film perfectly, complimenting Jost Vacano's use of overhead fluorescent lights. The image on the MGM SE disc seems *too* colorful, almost garish at times.

Also, the MGM disc's sound mix is quite different from the Criterion. The music is nearly drowned out by the sound effects and dialogue.

I also noticed a few audio differences between the two discs. Murphy's screaming as he gets shot to death by the gang is different in both versions, and I think Ron Miller has slightly different dialogue (if I'm not mistaken, he says "people who jerk me off get shot" in the MGM version, while on the Criterion, he says "people who mess with me get shot". I'll have to double-check).

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I disagree - I thought the colors seemed duller for the MGM and brighter on the Criterion. The Criterion had much better balance in low-light scenes; the MGM rendered them too tough to see. For example, when Jones confronts Morton in the executive washroom, we can't see the pee stain on the one guy's pants when he hurries out of the room in the MGM version. The disc's just too dark...

Rob T

Screenwriter

I'm happy with the price I got it for.
It's not often that such fine sets come this cheap. MGMs done good work on this one. :emoji_thumbsup:

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder

I went to Sunrise and Music World today Mike and both didn't have it. What the heck is going on? :frowning:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Too late - the local Wal-Marts were sold out since Tuesday, none at Future Shop, ...hard to resist such a bargain, especially considering the prices of the new releases IMO.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I picked mine up at a local Circuit City and they only had 2 copies of the trilogy. On a bottom shelf, not even put in a category. I saw it by chance as I was about to give up and leave.

They had plenty of copies of the indiviual discs of Robocop 2 & 3 though.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Damn, guys. If you keep pointing out problems in the MGM release, I'll have to keep my Criterion disc too. Who'd have thought I'd end up with the set for the sequels?

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
Does anyone if the first movie will be sold individualy any time soon?. I would pick up the trilogy as I want the whole series but I hate the digi packaging so I may just pick up the criterion version of Robocop on ebay and the second and third movie since there in a keep case. I will than purchase the MGM version of Robocop when it comes out individualy. Does anyone else besides me hate this packaging or what?. I wish studios would get it right the first time.

-Mike

tim cat

Agent
I didn't get to see Robocop 2 in the theatre. However I did purchase the LD version of the film after seeing a demo at a home theatre display. The surround sound was incredible! I remember the floor shaking because of the tremendous deep and very powerful bass response. Your subwoofers will get a good workout!

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member

I have recently compared

MGM (Trilogy)- Region 1- NTSC "Robocop" vs. Criterion - Region 0 - NTSC vs. MGM - Region 2,4 - PAL

Criterion:

MGM (Trilogy version)
Overly red skin tones ? saturated ?

The full comparison is located here:

http://www.compare.dvdbeaver.com/
Cheers,

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

It looks as if it's mostly a boost in contrast. If you take the Criterion image and play with it in a photo-editing program, you can get really close to the second (MGM) image simply by boosting the contrast and making it a touch brighter.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Yes Randy, I agree...

and I agree with this too Greg... Criterion is still the champ (but its is a personal preference)...

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks