What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Robocop Trilogy (1 Viewer)

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
You know, DVDSoon is selling the trilogy for 16$ US including shipping. Hardly screwing anyone over I say. It's the same price the first Robocop would have sold for if it was sold seperatly. I'm planning on purchasing the Pitch Black re issuie on june 8th, for this I have to fork over 20$.

MGM :emoji_thumbsup:

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Like I said, for me, it is a matter of principal. I don't have anything against MGM in particular. I have just as big a beef with Universal's continual re-releases, and I am not buying the new Pitch Black either.

Ultimately, my post is about repecting other people's right and decision not to buy something. Someone may not have considered looking at it from a purely economic point of view (i.e. Robocop box set vs. Criterion Robocop or $16 for the set from DVD Soon), but I'd warrant most of the people saying they won't buy it for the reasons I have given are not buying it regardless of the price.

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
What sort of packaging is used for this trilogy? Is it an outer box with three separate keepcases, or is it a single fold-out package holding all three discs? Ideally, I'd like to keep Robocop 1 and ditch the sequels.

Jason Perez

Second Unit
Britton (post #3),

You are so right my friend! I have seen this movie umpteen times, and I always call that SOB Richard Morton. Hopefully, I will overcome this mental block someday! :D

Thanks for the reminder!

Jason

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

Not when it's still Criterion's pricing policy. If this were a new title from Criterion, it would be $39.98--for just the one movie. My point was to underline the irony of the review complaining about the price for the entire set when the original disc continually being mentioned for comparison charged more (relatively) for less.

But I do understand and appreciate your concerns. MGM could have released just the first movie for $20, which I guarantee it will within a year.

Jason Perez

Second Unit
Joe,

The packaging is a fold out that holds all three discs. It also seemed to dump the insert out whenever I tried to access the Robocop 2 or Robocop 3 discs (engineering at its finest! :) ). Although I prefer separate keepcases, other than that, I don't really have much of a beef with it.

Regards,

Jason

Jason Perez

Second Unit
Randy,

Nice to hear from you, as always! Maybe I did not make myself clear enough, but my complaint was NOT about the price, it was about the fact that those of us who do not care for the sequels still have to "buy" them.

I do see your point, but I was not arguing about economics, just the inability to choose. I am sure you are right, in that MGM may release the first movie as a separate title later, but some of us (hint, hint) may not be patient enough to wait that long!

Regards,

Jason

Will K

Screenwriter
Excellent review, Jason. Your thoughts on the trilogy mirror mine. Hopefully, MGM will offer the first one seperately soon. I just can't stand 2 or 3.

Lars_J

Stunt Coordinator
If anyone is interested in more Robocop material, I think the Canadian Mini-series Robocop: Prime Directives (4 parts, available on DVD) was a pretty good followup, being much more faithful in spirit than RObocop 2 and 3.

Since it was made for TV it is of course lower budget and less violent than the first two movies, but it does have the advantage of pretending that the movie sequels never happened. And it is far better than the insipid PG-rated US TV series that was shortlived. Anyway, it is worth checking out if you are a fan of the first movie, IMO.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have the region 2 UK release of the robocop triogy.. same box style.

JACOB

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
is it just me or somebody else who doesn't like this digipack? damn this thing crap. mgm should've made a nice box where all movies have their own case like indiana jones trilogy from paramount. but atleast i got the trilogy pack for only can$21,98 :D

Jacob_isham

Stunt Coordinator
hated the mini-series lars, reminded me of the ultimatley lame robocop 3, where Peter Weller was replaced, who the hell else could play robocop convincingly. Loved the first robocop film though, especially where the guy gets show down in the board room by ed-209 & someone suggests calling the paramedics, shockingly hilarious scene that will always stick in everyones mind. Robocop 2 is ok and robocop 3 is utter crap.

Isn't the criteron in the wrong aspect ratio (1.66:1), where as the MGM is in the OAR of 1.85:1?

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
director Paul Verhoeven likes the 1.66:1 aspect ratio for RoboCop and that's why Criterion's edition is in that form.

Jacob_isham

Stunt Coordinator
still, if the OAR is 1.85:1, that means the DVD has been cropped to fit in a 1.66:1 letterbox. So on a 16:9 widescreen TV, we all know 1.85:1 is preferable.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Nope, you've got it the other way around. Since few US theaters can show a 1.66:1 AR, RoboCop was cropped so it could fit into a 1.85:1 screen.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Excellent review! I'll be picking these up for sure. I never did buy the previous DVD release, so all 3 of these films will be welcome additions. I thought I was seeing things when I looked through my Wal-Mart flyer yesterday and found it listed for $22 (Canadian). For 3 movies, how could anyone possibly complain?

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
1.85 and 1.66 movies are filmed the same way. Only the matte-placement varies. Where the money came from doesn't have too much to do with how the director decided to frame it.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor

During the Robocop 2’s initial theatrical release there was a major out cry about this very issue. However in this day and age, where teenagers are carrying on sexual relationships with teachers and parents of their fellow class mates, I think the ugliness in the portrayal of children is actually lighter in it’s satirical tone, fourteen years later than it was at the time of release. Think about all the stories we hear about young kids with guns shooting people their own age and older. Nancy Allen’s presence in the pictured suited the narrative.

Btw, I don’t understand how violence in a live action movie could be funny when it’s gory like in Robocop – Verhoeven’s picture. Overrated director’s cut that doesn’t for me think, wow if only those jerks in the MPAA let this scene alone as is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks