What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Pulp Fiction" Collector's Edition (Highly Recommended)(with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i don't have this disc yet, but i noticed excessive haloing on the Jackie Brown dvd while others are saying it looks great.

I am wondering if the Pulp Fiction text commentary works ok, because the Jackie Brown text commentary goes out of sync by a minute after the 1 hour mark. Seems to be a problem with the pressing.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I dont have a 16x9 TV so I dont know how its looks on one, but on my set I noticed the "contrasty" problem right away. It has the same effect the old 2001 A Space Odyssey transfer did - it looks like its leterboxed within a letterbox.
YES! I thought everything (including the letterbox bars) looked a little too bright. I actually had to turn the brightness down (my set is fully Avia and Video Essentials calibrated) to get any true blacks at all. Since I own a 16:9 set it's hard to tell when the black level is mis-calibrated on a disc, but if you say the letterbox bars are brighter than the player generated bars on a 4:3 set then that proves it. The disc has inexcusable transfer flaws.

-Lyle J.P.

Todd_B

Second Unit
I have this disc sitting here unwrapped and I'm still debating on opening it or not. I have the Region 0 (Korean) DVD and from what I've been reading the new transfer isn't up to par w/this version.

Has anyone got a definitive answer on whether the transfer/soundmix is superior to the Korean version?

Todd B

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I have a request for all of you out there with this DVD and the ability to do screen caps. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, I'd be really thankful if you could send me a copy of the pic in my sig except 100 pixels high, for I fear that the current one is a little too big. I'd be eterntally grateful.:)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I think the new DVD looks good. There is definitely EE, however. I am a bit disappointed by the audio. I didn't read all of the previous posts, but I don't think the audio has the clarity and even some of the "action" scenes lacked (even though this wasn't an action movie).

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Ok I havent seen it here yet but how about the difference between the original Alliance 16X9 version to the new disc including picture and sound?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Ok I havent seen it here yet but how about the difference between the original Alliance 16X9 version to the new disc including picture and sound?
I'm 99% sure that the original Alliance release was not 16x9. In either case the new R1 version is definitely an improvement over the old Alliance. It's just that the Korean disc is so much better than either.

Jeff

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Tom, but John Rice was good enough to go and cap the pic you now see in my sig, but once again, thanks a lot for going to the trouble of getting that for me. Anyway, quick question: Did this movie coin the phrase "get medieval" or was it around before?

rhett

Supporting Actor
Christian, is the packaging for Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown DVDs from Alliance going to be bilingual? Their special packaging of Memento was in English only, which was a nice relief.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Sorry my bad. I got Pulp Fiction at the same time as Good Will hunting and thought that it was for 16x9 and the extras. Turns out it was just the extras.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I thought I'd toss in my $.02. I've only watched the first half of the movie, but I think the quality of video transfer is very good. Granted, I'm watching on a Toshiba 42" widescreen and not a 65", so some imperfections aren't as easily visible to my naked (and admittedly untrained) eye. I realize that some EE exists, but it's certainly not of the same magnitude as, say, Phantom Menace, IMHO.
Link Removed

BarryS

Second Unit
Got this DVD yesterday along with Jackie Brown and they look great! I haven't watched Pulp Fiction yet, but I've previewed a few scenes and it looks good. I watched some of the special features on disc 2 and I'm very pleased with those. Particularly the Siskel and Ebert segment (Damn, I miss Gene Siskel!). I didn't notice a whole lot of difference between this disc and the old one as far as picture quality, aside from the obvious 16x9 enhancement. I don't have a 16x9 TV, so that doesn't mean much... yet. The special features are great, but I just wish there was a cast and crew commentary!! There should have been two: one with the cast and one with Tarantino by himself, because he sure as hell can talk enough all by himself to merit a seperate track. That's my only complaint with this Collector's Edition (and Jackie Brown). Great DVD package, otherwise.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I'm beyond pleased with this release. This film blew me away back in 1994, and I think I enjoyed it even more this go-round. I've already watched it twice this week (actually 3 times including the trivia track, which is a lot of fun). Pulp and Jackie are going to see the inside of my DVD player quite a lot. Highly recommended purchase. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks