What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Pulp Fiction" Collector's Edition (Highly Recommended)(with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I've only had a chance to skim over the new release, but WOW, I forgot how bad the original version was!!
On a Toshiba 50H81 connected to a Sony DVP-S300 via S-Video, the difference was night and day.
Once I was done with the comparisons of the original Pulp Fiction, and having an extra From Dusk Till Dawn, I did what I normally do with my unwanted DVDs: Mailed them to my sisters. ;)
I can't wait to spend more time with this one later.

rhett

Supporting Actor
What a great release, this has everything I could have possibly asked for! Although Alliance has hit an all time low with the botched bilingual packaging...:angry:

I don't know if this has been covered yet: At 1 min 9secs in the movie the waitress should say "you are welcome" according to the subtitles. What you hear in fact is something like 'come' and it sound exactly like the voice-part was cut here.

So I checked my RC4 DVD Version (2nd edition): Same there. Still, it sounds strange to me. Any info on this ?

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Alliance can take their bilingual covers and their delays and shove them up their corporate you-know-where.
Thank GOD I'm not the only one put off by Alliance's bastardized bilingual covers. It's for this reason that I'm not buying Pulp Fiction until I head off to the States next (the cover is bilingual for those who asked). Likewise for Blade II. Likewise for Fellowship of the Ring. I'm going to pre-order FOTR Collector's from Laser's Edge in anticipation of Alliance f*****g it up. The good news is that it will help curb my DVD purchases from now on. No marginal titles for me. I won't purchase the bilingual Alliance, DreamWorks, or Paramount product. As a collector it's worth it to spend more for the nice, clean US versions.

I was not planning on buying P.F. at all until I read this review - thanks Ron.

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
I've had my Pulp Fiction: CE disk for a while now and have had plenty of time to formulate my findings and observations.

A few things really stand out to me.

#1 I'm not sure I like the dts track. I don't know what it is, but the soundstage seems smaller, like all of the sounds can be pinpointed from coming from the speakers (most obvious with the center channel.) Has anyone experienced this?

#2 The anamorphic transfer is fantastic, looks much better than the original; way to go Miramax.

#3 About the $5 rebate if you own the original. Has anyone actually done this? The card says to take the proof of purchase off of each case and mail them in. Removing the proof of purchase from the original releaces case would be a pain and make it look terrible. I think I'd rather have a good looking case than $5.

#4 The packaging it pretty low quality, particularly the outer sleeve, you have to be extremely careful with it.

May I say again, I love this film.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
#2 The anamorphic transfer is fantastic, looks much better than the original; way to go Miramax.
It does look much better than the original. However the Korean Region 0 version looks much better than the new Miramax edition. Thumbs down, Miramax!
Jeff

Jeff

Supporting Actor
It does look much better than the original. However the Korean Region 0 version looks much better than the new Miramax edition. Thumbs down, Miramax!
I'm really surprised this hasn't been discussed more and there haven't been any screen caps posted to compare.

Anyway, I'm glad I hung on to my Korean copy.

Jeff

James L White

Supporting Actor
I must admit I had never seen this movie until I crashed at a friend's house this weekend, I must say it is an awesome flick (even watching it at 2 AM no less :D),I'll pick it up.:emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
That's right. The Korean disc will work on all players.

I wonder if I shipped my Korean disc out to Obi if he'd be willing to post a comparison. Doesn't he have his own website now?

Jeff

Peter H C

Auditioning
I love this movie -- I've been waiting for the new version to come out for well over a year, since I first saw the rumors that it was due out the latter half of last year. Now that it's out, I love all the extras and reworking that a true classic movie deserves.

One thing about the DVD presentation though, both of the soundtracks have flaws. I really disagree with the review's assessment of the DTS soundtrack. Sure, it's dynamic and it fixes a lot of the issues I noted with the audio track when I originally saw it in the theater and later on VHS. But, the rear surrounds are dialed way too high. Sure, it's nice to have active surround tracks and it can make a nice first impression, but the presentation on the Pulp Fiction DVD lacks balance and gets distracting during certain scenes when it drowns out the front. My system is properly calibrated, and it seems like this soundtrack was mixed to elicit ooohhhs and aaaahhhs rather than create an immersive soundfield.

By contrast, the DD track pretty much sounds like what I experienced in the movie theatre. The voices get incoherent at times, and the track is not nearly as lively and dynamic as the DTS track. But, the channels are properly balanced and I felt more immersed in the scenes than with the DTS track. Both soundtracks are flawed, so in this case I'm hard pressed to figure out which one I dislike the least. This is the first time I didn't have good reason to prefer the DTS track over a DD track.

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
I agree with Peter on his impressions on the dts track. I was not impressed with it either.

Where can I get the Korean version?

I'm going to repost one of my questions from above, I think its important and I still dont have an answer.

About the $5 rebate if you own the original. Has anyone actually done this? The card says to take the proof of purchase off of each case and mail them in. Removing the proof of purchase from the original releaces case would be a pain and make it look terrible. I think I'd rather have a good looking case than $5.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Yes, Korean subtitles can be turned off.

I alerted people here about this DVD a while back. To those interested, the Korean (all-region) version of "Mulholland Drive" is also better than its US counterpart -- chapter stops, better cover, interview w/Lynch, etc.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Sorry to drag up this old thread, but I just got this DVD. I was glad to find this thread, becuase honestly I've been really heartsick recently. You see, I took my projector apart and blew dust off the LCDs right before I watched this movie. I thought I might have knocked something out of whack. Not to bash Ron who thougth the transfer was good, but I watched this on an 83" screen and IMHO, this transfer looks like shit. Almost every scene has drastic edge enhancement/haloing. In the scenes where therer are close up profile shots of SLJ and Travolta talking in the diner, the haloes around their profiles are a 1/4" thick on my screen. In general they are really bad any place where there is a dark object backlit. Since I'm dragging this thread up I suppose it will give a chance to others like me who didnt buy the disc at realease time to discuss both the movie and the disc(s)

Ben Rockwell

Agent
I can't agree or disagree with your analysis of the transfer, but I have a hard time feeling bad for you since you watched in on an 83" projection screen.

As for the movie itself, when I first watched it I hated it. I couldn't understand what all the hype was and frankly I thought it was just crap. I popped it in the other night while working on a paper, and I thought it was hilarious. Let it be known that the only reason I bought it was b/c of the hype surrounding the release, and the other night was the first time since release week that I had watched. So, in short, if you've watched this movie and didn't like it, give it another shot. YOu may enjoy it a little bit more the second (or third) time around.

Ben

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
I'll chime in here to as I bought this blind from all of the positive reviews recently.

I also didn't care much for the movie as a whole. The only ongoing story that was interesting was the one that centered around Bruce Willis' character. The swearing and violence wasn't a big deal but there didn't seem to be much continuity between the stories.....or I just missed it.

Yes, the dialogue was good and entertaining but I just felt that something was missing. Can't really explain it...it's just the feeling I had after watching it.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks