What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Pulp Fiction" Collector's Edition (Highly Recommended)(with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Oh, I love the movie, I was just bummed that this is likely the last DVD release of it we'll see for a while since its a "Collector's Edition" and the transfer aint that great.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I don't see the problem with this transfer. I think it looks great...colorful and sharp.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I also noticed the intrusive EE halos, and was slightly disappointed; however, I love the movie so much, it was not a deal-breaker for me.

Re: the DTS track - my big beef with it is that it has a surprisingly compressed dynamic range. I have to break out my LD to compare soundtracks, but I recall that even the Dolby ProLogic soundtrack on that release had a greater dynamic range. Almost like they went overboard with dynamic processing (limiter or compresser) and zapped a lot of life out of it.

My $.02,

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I have a 55" Pioneer and a Panasonic A310....picture looks fine, and I am the pickiest person on the forum.

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
Well on my 36" Sony HDTV it looked great (I'm going by memory here since it's been a while since I bought/watched it) But I do remember thinking that it was a LOT better than the original (non-anamorphic) version in both sound & vision. I guess larger screens have more to do with the EE problem than anything else as I only see it on a very small proportion of my DVD's and even then it's not really bad.

As for the movie...how could you not love it.

ChrisJefferys

Stunt Coordinator
Re: the DTS track - my big beef with it is that it has a surprisingly compressed dynamic range. I have to break out my LD to compare soundtracks, but I recall that even the Dolby ProLogic soundtrack on that release had a greater dynamic range. Almost like they went overboard with dynamic processing (limiter or compresser) and zapped a lot of life out of it.
I was a little underwelmed with the track myself. I've heard that the LD sounds better too.

BTW, supposedly, the Korean R0 disc has the best picture quality of all the releases.(I think someone mentioned this earlier in this thread). Anybody have it, and how's the sound (I'm assuming its DTS too)?

Lanny Hoff

Stunt Coordinator
On my Panasonic XP-30 and Sony 57WS500 the picture is pretty soft and there is not a lot of detail. It's simply OK.

But the big problem, and something I am surprised has not been mentioned yet, is the fact that in the beginning of the film, specifically in the scene where Jules and Vincent confront the young men enjoying their breakfast of hamburgers, Jules' lips are out of synch with his voice!

Anyone else notice this?

It doesn't seem to be a problem in the rest of the film.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I had been holding off on getting the original DVD release of this movie for such a long time. I knew a better version was on the way, it had to be. Pulp Fiction is too good a movie, too much of a classic for it not to have a special or collector's edition. But it was still so hard and tempting to not pick up the first version because I wanted this movie. Well I'm glad I waited and I think I picked up the collector's edition the first or second day it was out. Miramax did a fantastic job with the collector's edition. I think it's in the top 5 of DVD's I have that includes the LOTR extended edition, Legend collector's edition, Phantom Menace, and one more I can't think of but I know I'm forgetting. You can tell a lot of time and love went into making sets like these.
I was first introduced to this movie by a friend who showed it to me one night while I was at his place. It completely blew me away and I remember almost getting sick during a few scenes. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks