What's new

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Pulp Fiction, written and directed by Quentin Tarantino (co-written by Roger Avery), signaled the arrival of a new cinematic voice. Sure, Tarantino had made s splash with his well-received Reservoir Dogs, but Pulp Fiction was a striking follow-up, inventive, refreshing, violent, and a hyper-cool expression of Tarantino’s cinematic influences. Arriving from Paramount on Ultra High-Definition for the first time, its hard to believe this film could ever possibly look better at home than this. Highly Recommended.

Pulp Fiction (1994)

Released: 14 Oct 1994
Rated: R
Runtime: 154 min

Director: Quentin Tarantino
Genre: Crime, Drama

Cast: John Travolta, Uma Thurman, Samuel L. Jackson
Writer(s): Quentin Tarantino, Roger Avary

Plot: The lives of two mob hitmen, a boxer, a gangster and his wife, and a pair of diner bandits...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Thanks for your review, Neil. One of my all-time favorite films, so naturally I ordered this UHD. Can’t wait to watch it.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I watched this last night and it is a visual stunner. The Dolby Vision encode is nothing short of miraculous. This is a superb release that belongs in every Tarantino fan's library. Yes, a Dolby Atmos track would have been a welcomed addition, but as Neil points out, this DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround track is no slouch and it is very active when and where it should be. This Pulp Fiction Steelbook is easily one of the best 4K Blu-ray releases of the year. Well done, Paramount!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I watched this last night and it is a visual stunner. The Dolby Vision encode is nothing short of miraculous. This is a superb release that belongs in every Tarantino fan's library. Yes, a Dolby Atmos track would have been a welcomed addition, but as Neil points out, this DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround track is no slouch and it is very active when and where it should be. This Pulp Fiction Steelbook is easily one of the best 4K Blu-ray releases of the year. Well done, Paramount!

I was pretty stunned during my viewing this afternoon.

Paramount has been a mixed bag with the quality of these 4k releases. This is among their best efforts.

You are most correct about the 5.1 mixes being no slouch. I loved the music kicking in across all the channels, as well as the excellent voice direction to individual channels during certain scenes.

I still love looking for Travolta walking in the background toward the bathroom in the opening restaurant scene before first-time viewers even know he is there.

This movie still holds up as being one of the greatest films of all time. It just doesn't get old with repeat viewings.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I was pretty stunned during my viewing this afternoon.

Paramount has been a mixed bag with the quality of these 4k releases. This is among their best efforts.

You are most correct about the 5.1 mixes being no slouch. I loved the music kicking in across all the channels, as well as the excellent voice direction to individual channels during certain scenes.

I still love looking for Travolta walking in the background toward the bathroom in the opening restaurant scene before first-time viewers even know he is there.

This movie still holds up as being one of the greatest films of all time. It just doesn't get old with repeat viewings.
Here’s another very funny thing to look for- at the very end of the overdose revival scene, just after Jodi says “That was f$&@ing trippy!”, Trudy takes a bong hit, as if nothing unusual had happened. 😁

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I was pretty stunned at how great this looked. I thought the old BD looked pretty good, but this is just phenomenal. Steelbook is cool looking too!

EDIT:

Although much of the film I felt bad for Bruce Willis, as I read the other day his health is declining rapidly:(

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just a couple days after being wowed by my viewing of the 4k/UHD Reservoir Dogs, I just HAD to pull the wrapper off my new 4k/UHD of Pulp Fiction.

I will never forget my first-ever viewing of this film. I was traveling with my wife in Louisville, KY many years ago and watched it in a hotel's common sitting area on a portable DVD player (basically a small laptop) with headphones. Even in that limited presentation, this film really washed over me like few others ever had. I hadn't ever seen anything like it!

Watching this film again completely brought that feeling back to me.

What great cinematic fun.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Mine just arrived today. Can't wait to spin it up.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
In our case, we just watched the BD a few months ago. While it's a favorite of both my wife's and mine, it's been a little soon to re-watch again.
There are parts of the movie that I found disturbing which is why after all of these years I never watched the movie in its entirety with one seating.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I watched it with a friend this weekend, who normally hates screen violence - but she loved it. She said the humour and dialogue in the film deflected the violent scenes. She found The Banshees of Inisherin to be more distressing.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I watched it with a friend this weekend, who normally hates screen violence - but she loved it. She said the humour and dialogue in the film deflected the violent scenes. She found The Banshees of Inisherin to be more distressing.
The subjectivity of something like this is always funny. My wife Peg was able to enjoy Banshees (only closing her eyes a time or two!). But I would never even consider asking her to watch Pulp Fiction. As crazy and fun a ride it is, she would not enjoy it because of the violence and fairly constant threats of violence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.