What's new

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
And he seems so smitten by the "grindhouse" experience - which makes it then bizarre when he does stuff like shoot "Hateful 8" 65mm.

Django Unchained and Once Upon a time in Hollywood would have been better suited for shooting in 65mm, anamorphic or not.
In any case Tarantino brought 70mm back into a lot of cinemas with that movie so this was a good thing for me same as Nolan shooting in Imax and they are both helping Eastman Kodak with shooting and exhibiting on analog film. One does not have to agree with all their artistic choices but the fact remains that they both help to keep analog film going which to me is a big positive.

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
QT is undeniably a fetishist in a variety of ways.

He endorses so many not-actually-good movies as great for his own peculiar reasons.

And he seems so smitten by the "grindhouse" experience - which makes it then bizarre when he does stuff like shoot "Hateful 8" 65mm.

And that doesn't even get us started on his thing for dirty female feet! :D
Agree with almost all of this ....

Wes Candela

Visual Storytelling Enthusiast
Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Another note re Paramount’s new 4k of Pulp Fiction.

I was so pleased with the overall quality of this release that I neglected to make note of the most important point.

For $28 those who collect (and invest in) steelbooks, can receive a beautifully produced metal binding of sorts. It‘s very pretty.

If one is into saving about $7, you can eschew the steelbook and go for plastic. But be warned, you may lose some friends who only stay in touch because of said steelbooks.

Or if showing your wealth is truly important, the film is available in VHS for the same price as the 4k.

So many decisions…
Hahaha

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I enjoy the Tarantino podcast, but I cringe every time he talks about the glorious emulsion represented on VHS. Cringe cringe cringe.

You all have him wrong to. It's not a rip-off or an homage, he's remixing and sampling genres. Which is pretty much what Kubrick did with THE KILLING unless you think he invented heist films. It's playing with genre tropes, and I've never seen a statement from him where he claims to be trying to hide it. The rip-off with Tarantino are the ones trying to replicate it in his wake with far less success. Unless you think THINGS TO DO IN DENVER WHEN YOUR DEAD or TWO DAYS IN THE VALLEY would exist as organic productions without Pulp Fiction.*

*for the record, I didn't mind either Denver or Valley, I ain't taking shots. They aren't as good as Pulp or Jacky though, and I don't think they would exist or play the way they do if not for Tarantino.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
General question for my fellow Canucks out there: any luck tracking down the UHD release?
Not me. If I see it I'll probably grab it but part of me hopes we get a boxset like we did with DVD/Bluray. Not likely I know, but I dare to dream and am okay with my blus.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Bay Street Video has it.
I got mine from Bay St Video as well. I believe it’s an import and that Paramount Canada does not have the rights to distribute this in Canada. The digital code included in my copy is not valid in Canada.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I got mine from Bay St Video as well. I believe it’s an import and that Paramount Canada does not have the rights to distribute this in Canada. The digital code included in my copy is not valid in Canada.
And it’s not cheap. I think it was $43.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Still with Alliance Atlantis?

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Still with Alliance Atlantis?

Alliance Atlantis no longer exists - they morphed into Entertainment One years ago and eOne’s film division also shuttered last year. The digital copy of Pulp Fiction on iTunes Canada still credits Alliance Atlantis, however.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I saw the film in the cinema, for me, it was pop culture reference overload and exhausting. The Miramax DVD was very good and allowed me to absorb it all. A year ago I saw it on Prime, it looked very good, so I ordered the Blu-ray (after checking reviews, of course). The Blu-ray looked even better. It's good to know Quentin Tarantino is curating his movies.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Just watched this UHD- I was stunned at how great it looks. Perfection. I hope the UHD of Jackie Brown (I think it’s a safe assumption this is coming) looks even close to this disc.

Last edited:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

Alliance Atlantis no longer exists - they morphed into Entertainment One years ago and eOne’s film division also shuttered last year. The digital copy of Pulp Fiction on iTunes Canada still credits Alliance Atlantis, however.
But here’s where it gets weird: I have yet to be able to buy a Paramount Presents title without importing it. There’s really no reason for that. With Hasbro putting eOne on the market, maybe the rights issue will get sorted.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I've watched this twice since getting it. Great disc!

I really wish Inglourious Basterds was mastered similarly - it looks rather good other than being too bright.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
For an "analog fetishist", I find it interesting that Tarantino jumped into the DI game pretty early with the KILL BILL films- and 2K DIs at that! I think his first 4K DI was DJANGO UNCHAINED. THE HATEFUL 8 had an analog finish, at least for its 70mm prints (I'm not sure if the 35mm prints were from a DI, or optical reduction), but he was back to a full DI for ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD.

Vincent

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks