What's new

DVD Review HTF MINI-REVIEW: Dog Day Afternoon Two-Disc Special Edition (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
I've been forced to buy them all seperately due to customs charges, I may have paid a little more but it's better than being stung at customs.

I agree with what Ron says, Dog Day Afternoon has never looks this good before, an incredible job by Warners, Network is also a fantastic DVD, another great transfer.

I haven't recieved All The President's Men yet, so I can't comment on that title.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
My set of the 3 films arrived today:D so I'll watch
DDA this afternoon- it's been a while since I've seen
it, and I've always loved the film. Pacino could have
(and probably should have) won the Oscar for his
performance. Network is also one of my favorites.
I haven't seen ATPM yet.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

I'm torn. My birthday was yesterday and we're having the family over on Sunday. I expect to score some cash like I always do. I think I'll go for this set, but I've also been eyeing that Sam Peckinpah set. I know I'll get both eventually. The Peckinpah set has four movies and I've never seen any of them. This set has three movies and I've already seen one. But I can get this set for about $38 at CostCo right now and didn't see any of the Peckinpah sets when I was there last time.

Assuming I can only get one of the two sets, any thoughts on which way to go here?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Clearly, you need both sets. :) I guess you should go for the Peckinpah if you find it, since it has twice as many films you haven't seen -- they'll both be at Costco again eventually (and maybe with a sale).

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

Absolutely. But I've spent so much on DVDs lately, that I'm trying to lay low for a while. In the past 2 weeks I've picked up 9 movies, 1 TV set and 2 WB box sets (McQueen and Thin Man). That's a lot for me. Plus, it's going to be a big month with Potter, X-Files 4-6, Apes, the last B5 movie, Busby Berkley and others. So I'm trying to not spend more than I end up scoring from the relatives. There's a very fine line between irritating the wife and flat our making her mad. :laugh:

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Watched ATPM last night and all the extras. Totally absorbing material -- it was awesome, in a word. What great performances.

DDA tonight. Can't wait.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
A couple of people on IMDB have linked to this interesting response from the real "Sonny" regarding his thoughts about the movie, which he submitted to the New York Times. They rejected it, but it was re-printed in a couple of journals. The gist of it is that he was very critical of some elements in the script, but he also praised Lumet, Pacino, and Sarandon to the skies.

Hopefully we'll eventually get to see the documentary that Larry Davenport linked to above, to fill in some more relevant details.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks