What's new

HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time Sept/Oct 2015 Release Announcements (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Press Release 09/01/2015​
Charles Bronson is back and with a vengeance in this contemporary underrated thriller,​
long awaited by fans and now taking aim on hi-def Blu-Ray for the very first time!​
“10 TO MIDNIGHT”
Limited Edition BLU-RAY Release​
Only 3,000 units available at​
www.twilighttimemovies.com & www.screenarchives.com
Once they are gone – they are gone!​
RELEASE DATE: TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 8TH, 2015

“William Roberts’ screenplay… is damnably clever at dropping in its vicious vigilante theme without being didactic, and J. Lee Thompson’s direction, borrowing from Hitchcock’s editing in Psycho, creates the full horror of blades thrusting…without the viewer ever actually seeing it happen.” —Variety

“Bronson back in his Death Wish shoes.” —Time Out London

“A police and murder thriller laced with blood and sex. It is also a propaganda piece that argues against laws that let brutal slayers escape with insanity pleas.”
Richard F. Shepard, The New York Times

10 to Midnight (1983), directed by veteran J. Lee Thompson, stars the implacable Charles Bronson as a steely cop facing off against a wily serial killer (Gene Davis) and briefly going down for the count before he rises to take vengeance. Also starring Lisa Eilbacher, Andrew Stevens, Geoffrey Lewis, and Wilford Brimley.

LIKE TWILIGHT TIME ON FACEBOOK

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Lee Marvin and Ernest Borgnine clash head-on in this timeless action masterpiece reteaming them with The Dirty Dozen director Robert Aldrich, barreling onto Blu-ray in gorgeous high-definition!​
“EMPEROR OF THE NORTH”

“A masterpiece of action direction by Robert Aldrich…The movie’s energies are vast.” —Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

“A duel to the death, developed with dark humor and nail-biting excitement…brilliantly realized.” —Time Out London

“A fine, elaborately staged action melodrama…almost perfect action-movie characters…a sensational ride.”
Vincent Canby, The New York Times

Director Robert Aldrich and screenwriter Christopher Knopf bring us a spectacular Depression-era tale, Emperor of the North (1973) featuring a pair of stalwart veteran actors, Lee Marvin and Ernest Borgnine, as, respectively, a jaunty hobo determined to ride a train and the vicious conductor equally resolved to prevent this eventuality. Also starring Keith Carradine as the train-jumper’s young protégé, and featuring a potent score by Frank De Vol.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Another contemporary classic that “cuts no ice” in the power of lead performances by​
Sean Penn and Christopher Walken – on Blu-Ray for the very first time! Don’t miss​
“AT CLOSE RANGE”

“A very tough picture…audiences will respond to the very strong performances of the two leads, especially Walken in one of his best roles.”—Variety

“A spare, violent, unforgiving story…It is also a story with passages of love and adventure and cheerfulness…two great actors, Penn and Walken, at the top of their forms in roles that give them a lot to work with.” —Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

“Mr. Kazan’s screenplay is lean and to the point…There’s something bold about the film’s wealth of imagery.”
Vincent Canby, The New York Times

Based on a true story, At Close Range (1986)—written by Nicholas Kazan and directed by James Foley—gives us the grim tale of a rural Pennsylvania crime family led by Brad Sr. (Christopher Walken), a nasty charismatic who lures his n’er-do-well son, Brad, Jr. (Sean Penn), into a life of ghastly deeds. Also starring Mary Stuart Masterson, Crispin Glover, and Christopher Penn.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
From Writer and First-Time Director Neil Jordan and Producer John Boorman comes a​
haunting tale of the scars of violence in a powder-keg Northern Ireland – first time on Blu-ray!​
“ANGEL”

“Powerful story set against the backdrop of the Northern Irish ‘troubles’…Rea gives a perfectly modulated performance, and Neil Jordan is magnificent in his directorial debut…A powerful film, noted for its black humor, atmospheric locations, and calculated touches of surrealism.”—TV Guide

“Displays the technical proficiency of its director, Neil Jordan…has a homespun style and story…Chris Menges’s cinematography is the best thing in it.”—Janet Maslin, The New York Times

The début film of writer-director Neil Jordan (Mona Lisa, The Crying Game), Angel (1982, aka Danny Boy) indirectly examines the Irish “troubles” by focusing on Danny (the great Stephen Rea), an innocent saxophonist who witnesses the murder of his band’s manager and a deaf-mute bystander. His life subsequently falls apart, destroying his relationship with the band’s singer (Honor Heffernan) and leading him to vow vengeance. Highlighted by cinematography from the superb Chris Menges (The Killing Fields).

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Reggie W said:
Excellent line-up and the two highlights to me are Fat City and Emperor of the North as these are really outstanding films. It is also very cool that they hit the horror genre hard for the month of October. Well planned and thoughtful group of releases.
It's funny we ran the trailers in Balto., but they never played . Both look interesting.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Everett Stallings said:
It's funny we ran the trailers in Balto., but they never played . Both look interesting.

Fat City and Emperor of the North are both outstanding films that feature tremendous performances from the lead actors. They are both beautifully shot as well but in totally different ways. Fat City takes place in a lot of drab rundown locations, bars, old boxing gyms, lousy apartments, and a well past its prime Stockton California that sets the stage for the two down on their luck leads.

Emperor is filmed in beautiful outdoor locations and uses a train (always a very cinematic mode of transport) to spectacular effect to achieve the beautiful but vicious setting for the showdown between Borgnine and Marvin. I don't think you will find a villain easier to hate than Borgnine's Shack who is as nasty as they come.

If you enjoy great acting and spectacular direction by a couple of old pros that really know how to tell a story these are films you will watch many times...and that you enjoy even more on each successive viewing.

Huston and Aldrich know these stories inside and out and so present them in such vivid fashion that once you see these films you will not forget them. I just don't think there are many directors, and certainly very few working now, that could make films like these.

If you have never seen these films I highly recommend you check them out. I know we all have our preferred decades for film and our preferred genres but I can tell you that Fat City and Emperor of the North are truly classic films that despite the time they were made could have easily come out of the 30s, 40s, 50s, or 60s. The directors and actors on these films are all working at the top of their game and you won't be sorry you gave these a chance.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Looking forward to learning about the extras on "At Close Range", hoping the Madonna video clip will be included, though I doubt it.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
As usual, a nice mix of vintage titles from Twilight Time. I've already expressed excitement for Devil in a Blue Dress and it will be pre-ordered the moment it goes on sale. But I have to say my enthusiasm is building for Fat City. I love when TT chooses a long lost gem to release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I preordered "Emperor of the North" and "At Close Range". I thought about "Fat City", but didn't pull the trigger.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
OK, kinda taking a pass this month but I did put one in my cart. Waiting on Sept 25 to add another and complete the order. My selections:

10 To Midnight
Black Widow

Seems I got this thing for beautiful actresses (past & present) with last name Russell:

Jane Russell
Theresa Russell
Betsy Russell
Keri Russell

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Went to round out my Cannon Films collection by perhaps picking up 10 To Midnight - 34 bucks for a disc? Did I accidentally wake up in 1998? Man, I haven't paid that much for a movie since Laserdisc! Hell, 34 bucks is probably what Cannon spent to make the damn thing.

Why they hell is a sleazy throw away exploitation flick from the eighties commanding that kind of pricetag. 15 bucks - sold. 20 bucks. Perhaps. But 34 and change is too rich for my blood for a sight unseen Bronson flick.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Tony J Case said:
Went to round out my Cannon Films collection by perhaps picking up 10 To Midnight - 34 bucks for a disc? Did I accidentally wake up in 1998? Man, I haven't paid that much for a movie since Laserdisc! Hell, 34 bucks is probably what Cannon spent to make the damn thing.

Why they hell is a sleazy throw away exploitation flick from the eighties commanding that kind of pricetag. 15 bucks - sold. 20 bucks. Perhaps. But 34 and change is too rich for my blood for a sight unseen Bronson flick.

No, but clearly you have been in a stupor since 2011.

;)

(But seriously, these complaints are getting incredibly tiresome.)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
McCrutchy said:
(But seriously, these complaints are getting incredibly tiresome.)

You know what, don't care. 30 bucks is too fucking much for a disc. I'd own WAY more of their stuff if it was priced similar to Shout!'s releases. That Summer of Fear sale they had, where everything was 10-15 bucks. Scored a bunch of stuff. Twilight Time's cult offerings? Zero, because their shit is too expensive.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tony J Case said:
You know what, don't care. 30 bucks is too fucking much for a disc. I'd own WAY more of their stuff if it was priced similar to Shout!'s releases. That Summer of Fear sale they had, where everything was 10-15 bucks. Scored a bunch of stuff. Twilight Time's cult offerings? Zero, because their shit is too expensive.
Is it necessary to use profanity to make your point which I respect as I do with everyone that posts here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks