What's new

HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time Sept/Oct 2015 Release Announcements (1 Viewer)

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Mark Cappelletty said:
COUNT YORGA, VAMPIRE! Hopefully the sequel gets added on as an extra (or is planned further down the pike)! Very excited about these two months!
Scream has the YORGA sequel
**NEW TITLE ANNOUNCE!**

As some of you may already know, this past weekend our friends over at Twilight Time DVD Label announced that they would be bringing the 1970 AIP chiller COUNT YORGA, VAMPYRE to Blu-ray on 10/13. Well, if you can’t get enough of the bloodsucking shenanigans then step right up to watch its sequel! We have the rights to its 1971 follow-up THE RETURN OF COUNT YORGA, and will also be releasing it on Blu-ray on 10/13. Pre-order links will go up next month.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Randy Korstick said:
PG-13 started in 1984. There was no PG13 rating in 1970. The DVD was reported to be the uncut R rated version. Many times studios add PG13 ratings to older R movies because that's what they would be rated if released today. So as far as everything I have read the DVD was the uncut R-Rated version. Should be the same cut here.
The only way a PG-13 rating can be applied to a pre-1984 film is if the film is resubmitted to the MPAA. I believe that's what happened here. Many films have been resubmitted to the MPAA prior to video release or theatrical rerelease. When The Wild Bunch was restored to its Director's cut form, it was threatened with an NC-17, even though the MPAA had originally rated this cut R. Once upon a Time in the West was re-rated PG-13 (from M) and Beyond the Valley of the Dolls was given an NC-17.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
One can look up any film's ratings history at filmratings.com

Some studios resubmit more than others. MGM resubmitted a fair amount of late 60s/early 70s films that got G or M/GP/PG ratings in the 00s and many got PG-13s.

Sabata is one example - rated GP in 1970, re-rated to PG-13 in 2005.

Some studios simply keep the original ratings from this period even if they don't reflect current ratings standards. Disney, for example, would never resubmit Pinocchio (a 1940 film rated G in 1970) since the depiction of minors smoking cigars and drinking alcohol would earn it a PG-13 today.

The only "change" studios can make without resubmitting a film is to change an M rating earned in 1967-70 or a GP earned in 1970-72 to PG (the modern equivalent), or an X to a NC-17. But some don't even bother with that (such as Warner's BD release of House of Dark Shadows which still says GP on the packaging).

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Randy Korstick said:
PG-13 started in 1984. There was no PG13 rating in 1970. The DVD was reported to be the uncut R rated version. Many times studios add PG13 ratings to older R movies because that's what they would be rated if released today. So as far as everything I have read the DVD was the uncut R-Rated version. Should be the same cut here.
Some further info if I remember correctly (as I remember some folks mentioning the PG rating for earlier movies). PG itself didn't come into being until about 1971. From 1968-1970 any PG rated movie was given the old "M" rating (from the old MPAA ratings system consisting of G M R and X). The "M" rating was first replaced by the "GP" rating which in 1972 became the "PG" rating.

I believe the PG-13 rating came about as a result of the then PG rated movies Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom (1984) and Gremlins (1985) which many felt was too violent for a simple PG rating. Correct me if I'm wrong.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Kyrsten Brad said:
Some further info if I remember correctly (as I remember some folks mentioning the PG rating for earlier movies). PG itself didn't come into being until about 1971. From 1968-1970 any PG rated movie was given the old "M" rating (from the old MPAA ratings system consisting of G M R and X). The "M" rating was first replaced by the "GP" rating which in 1972 became the "PG" rating.

I believe the PG-13 rating came about as a result of the then PG rated movies Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom (1984) and Gremlins (1985) which many felt was too violent for a simple PG rating. Correct me if I'm wrong.
And RED DAWN was the first film released with a rating of PG-13.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Kyrsten Brad said:

I remember this distinctly...

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was the cause for the PG-13 rating. Gremlins? That's news to me, but possible.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
atfree said:
I commented on TT's Facebook page re: more pre-1970's film....Nick responded "plenty coming in Nov/Dec".

Hopefully one of those will be a 3D title.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Ok that explains a lot including why Count Yorga on DVD is rated PG13. The R rated cut was resubmitted and received a PG13 rating which is more current. I had this movie previously on VHS and Laserdisc and those were the cut PG version. The DVD is the R rated version.
Stephen_J_H said:
The only way a PG-13 rating can be applied to a pre-1984 film is if the film is resubmitted to the MPAA. I believe that's what happened here. Many films have been resubmitted to the MPAA prior to video release or theatrical rerelease. When The Wild Bunch was restored to its Director's cut form, it was threatened with an NC-17, even though the MPAA had originally rated this cut R. Once upon a Time in the West was re-rated PG-13 (from M) and Beyond the Valley of the Dolls was given an NC-17.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Gremlins was also a catalyst for the PG-13. The first movie rated PG-13 was The Flamingo Kid, which was then pushed back to December release; Red Dawn was the first released, followed by Dreamscape.

As for Yorga, yes, the DVD and I'm sure the Blu have or will have the most extant version available, but there were other bits apparently trimmed from it that haven't resurfaced. Maybe those would push it into a current R but we'll never know.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ronald Epstein said:
I remember this distinctly...

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was the cause for the PG-13 rating. Gremlins? That's news to me, but possible.

I think Temple of Doom was the final straw, but those lobbying for the new rating also usually mentioned Gremlins as it was also a recent release at the time that seemed a little too intense for PG, but not really an R. I think some also mentioned Jaws (rated PG) for it's intensity even though it was 10 years earlier.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Spielberg had a hand in both 84 releases. PG was quite different in the 70s--Jaws and Jaws 2, but also Sam Peckinpah's The Getaway, a pretty brutal movie, to name just one example.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Bob Cashill said:
PG was quite different in the 70s--Jaws and Jaws 2, but also Sam Peckinpah's The Getaway, a pretty brutal movie, to name just one example.
Same for use of language in 70s PG movies. The f-word is used frequently in the PG-rated "All The President's Men" and today the movie would automatically be rated R just for that. I think it's an outstanding movie and there's no reason in my view that anyone under 18 who's interested in that movie shouldn't be allowed to watch it - a sentiment the MPAA seemed to have shared back in the 70s but not today.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The studio did have to persuade the MPAA to not give All the President's Men an R rating at the time for the language, though. They successfully argued that the subject matter's import outweighed what would normally cause it to be assigned the R rating.

It's probably more difficult to do that today, but it does happen at times, such as the recent documentary Bully getting a PG-13 instead of an R for language by persuasion regarding the audience of under 17 viewers that would benefit from seeing the film. But I doubt it would occur today for a dramatic non-documentary picture.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Josh Steinberg said:
Same for use of language in 70s PG movies. The f-word is used frequently in the PG-rated "All The President's Men" and today the movie would automatically be rated R just for that. I think it's an outstanding movie and there's no reason in my view that anyone under 18 who's interested in that movie shouldn't be allowed to watch it - a sentiment the MPAA seemed to have shared back in the 70s but not today.

It's ridiculous because in the real world there are very few teenagers who haven't heard that word, many times over. It's an example of how out of touch the MPAA is.

The other day NBC felt obliged to apologize after an outrider's microphone picked up the jockey of American Pharoah yelling "Holy shit" after he won the Belmont Stakes and the Triple Crown.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah that is correct but it was originally intended to be PG13. I remember reading a preview about the film in the newspaper and how it was to be the first film with the new PG13 rating but the rating wasn't approved until a couple months after last starfighter was released so they had to trim some violence to get a PG rating and Red Dawn became the first PG13 film. I went to the theater thinking it was PG13 after reading about it in the newspaper and have never been able to get the rating out of my head for this film.

Brandon Conway said:
The Last Starfighter is rated PG

Interlepos

Grip
Real Name
Egil
Really glad to see Emperor of the North coming to blu-ray. This was high on my wishlist.

At Close Range also - which is great news.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Press Release 09/01/2015​
One of master moviemaker John Huston lesser-known but most deeply felt works​
premieries in a brand-new high-definition transfer on Blu-ray!​
“FAT CITY”
Limited Edition BLU-RAY Release​
Only 3,000 units available at​
www.twilighttimemovies.com & www.screenarchives.com
Once they are gone – they are gone!​
RELEASE DATE: TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 8TH, 2015

“Has something that is all Huston’s own: his fascination with underdogs and losers…one of his best films…The movie’s edges are filled with small, perfect character performances.”
Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

“Something quite special, full of the kind of dialogue that movies usually can't afford, that defines time, place, mood, and character while seemingly going nowhere…shows us the director of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre and The Asphalt Jungle working with his old meticulousness.” —Vincent Canby, The New York Times

The magisterial John Huston, working from Leonard Gardner’s screen adaptation of his own novel, gives us in Fat City (1972) the story of two boxers, one an old-timer (Stacy Keach) on his way down, the other (Jeff Bridges), a hopeful striving for the top. Also starring Susan Tyrrell and Candy Clark and stunningly shot by the great Conrad Hall in drab and dusty Stockton, California, this is a kind of dingy poetic masterpiece.

LIKE TWILIGHT TIME ON FACEBOOK

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks