What's new

Press Release HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time October 2018 Release Announcements (1 Viewer)

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
Look, I'm probably one of the only REALLY rabid widescreen historical adventure film loons around here, but let's face it, these two, Sherwood Forest and Hajji Baba, don't register on my "give 'em a try" list or on my "saw 'em on Saturday Night at the Movies" must have list. For God's sake, TT is sitting on stuff like The Story of Ruth, Barabbas, Michael Curtiz's Francis of Assisi and Raoul Walsh's Esther and the King. I want to give it the old school boy try and drop $30 on titles in the genre I adore, but I'm conflicted. I bought the Blood River pirate movie, it was okay and seemingly about the caliber of these two. I'm pre-ordering Genghis Khan, which I'm genuinely excited about and one title I'd pay damned near anything to get. Just wish the A List titles I've loved forever even had a chance. Maybe they never will,

They are "sitting" on those titles?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Never seen Black Widow, but with that cast, count me in.

Going to seem odd seeing Ginger Rogers playing such a role as this.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Look, I'm probably one of the only REALLY rabid widescreen historical adventure film loons around here, but let's face it, these two, Sherwood Forest and Hajji Baba, don't register on my "give 'em a try" list or on my "saw 'em on Saturday Night at the Movies" must have list. For God's sake, TT is sitting on stuff like The Story of Ruth, Barabbas, Michael Curtiz's Francis of Assisi and Raoul Walsh's Esther and the King. I want to give it the old school boy try and drop $30 on titles in the genre I adore, but I'm conflicted. I bought the Blood River pirate movie, it was okay and seemingly about the caliber of these two. I'm pre-ordering Genghis Khan, which I'm genuinely excited about and one title I'd pay damned near anything to get. Just wish the A List titles I've loved forever even had a chance. Maybe they never will,

The Story Of Ruth, Francis Of Assisi and Esther And The King are stodgy, rather heavy handed biblical epics that are examples of what killed off the genre. Joan Collins recalls EATK: "it was an awfful film, full of pseudo Biblical Hollywood dialog. It really was awful stuff but atrocious as the film was, my professionalism got the better of me and I tried to do the best I could with the part of the simpering heroine." At least, Hajji Baba is mindless fun in a schoolboy's adventure book way. I actually have Ruth, Francis and Esther on DVD but I'd never upgrade them to blu.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Ed, I can only comment on The Story of Ruth having a decent master so it could probably be released without a problem by TT but it is a movie genre that has a very limited following these days, I think it took ages for TT to sell all 3000 discs of Demetrius and the Gladiators.

As for Barrabas if you want a version that is based on the old and ugly master that Sony has now you can buy the French release. I you want something better you'll have to wait as Grover Crisp and his team do not yet have a new version and in fact I do not even know if they are already working on it.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Hajji Baba sounds interesting, I’ll bite. But I have to second releasing those Biblical titles if anyone can get their hands on them. Any widescreen epic from the mid 50s to the early 60s is gold for me.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
I don't think any company is sitting on those titles, they have to wait until the studio gets around to remastering these titles in HD.

Yes. That is usually what TT is waiting for before they release certain titles. I was just wondering if I missed a posting someone where they indicated they have been newly remastered.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I'm definitely in for Black Widow! That release announcement certainly came out of nowhere, since I had asked TT on FB about a year ago if they had any Ginger Rogers movies and was told at that time they didn't. Of course, if I could have had my choice of her Fox movies, I would have preferred either Roxie Hart or Monkey Business, but I will be happy with this one!

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I will certainly purchase Black Widow and the Adventures of Haji Baba.

I do not know if TT has renewed its agreement with Fox as I am very interested in several titles that have undergone recent restoration by the studio:

- Zoo in Budapest
- Spencer Tracy’s precodes
- A couple of Shirley Temple’s flicks
- Pilgrimage
- An Apartment for Peggy
- Moontide
- Cluny Brown
- a Royal Scandal
- the Snake Pit
- Untamed
- Man in the Gray Flannel Suit
- a Harful of Rain
- Warlock
- Three coins in the fountain
- Monkey Business

Among others

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD

I do not know if TT has renewed its agreement with Fox as I am very interested in several titles that have undergone recent restoration by the studio:

- Zoo in Budapest
- Pilgrimage
- An Apartment for Peggy
- Moontide
- Cluny Brown
- a Royal Scandal
- the Snake Pit
- Untamed
- a Harful of Rain
- Warlock
- Monkey Business

Among others

I would be interested in Moontide and The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Yeah, add me to those wanting a blu of "Zoo in Budapest." Lovely film. I still have to rely on my old vhs off-air recording from about 28 years ago. Talk about needing an upgrade from that.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur

- Zoo in Budapest
- Pilgrimage
- An Apartment for Peggy
- Moontide
- Cluny Brown
- a Royal Scandal
- the Snake Pit
- Untamed
- a Harful of Rain
- Warlock
- Monkey Business

Among others

I definitely would like to see a blu of An Apartment for Peggy. For that matter since we're on the topic of Jeanne Crain films, where is Margie? That film has never had any type of home video release! I would be the first in line to plunk down thirty dollars (plus shipping and handling) should Twilight Time announce that film.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I was due for a good month from TT only 2-3 titles for me all year this year so far when I normally want 1-2 a month in previous years. As a Hammer fan Sword of Sherwood forest is a must for me. Peter Cushing is great in one of his rare villain roles. I will also get Haji Baba and probably the Italian Giallo as it has a Morricone score but I have not seen that one. No interest in Black Widow.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Twilight Time is bringing out some really obscure stuff. Once again these are four titles that I'm completely unfamiliar with. I might have to go for Black Widow and Adventures of Hajji Baba simply because of my interest in CinemaScope 2.55:1 with stereophonic sound.

Hopefully with highly directional dialog!

Ryan Barrett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Barrett
Well, my mind is officially blown - Twilight Time releasing Short Night of Glass Dolls...Wow. Here's hoping that the transfer is that beautiful restoration that the rest of the world has gotten. What a surprise announcement!

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
The Story Of Ruth, Francis Of Assisi and Esther And The King are stodgy, rather heavy handed biblical epics that are examples of what killed off the genre. Joan Collins recalls EATK: "it was an awfful film, full of pseudo Biblical Hollywood dialog. It really was awful stuff but atrocious as the film was, my professionalism got the better of me and I tried to do the best I could with the part of the simpering heroine." At least, Hajji Baba is mindless fun in a schoolboy's adventure book way. I actually have Ruth, Francis and Esther on DVD but I'd never upgrade them to blu.

I own the DVD of Esther and the King and I really like it. Full of some of the wildest orgy dance sequences I've ever seen in any of the widescreen "epic" films. Pretty gorgeous to look at, too, and would be incredibly improved in HD, plus it was so much more fun, elaborate and expensive than most all Hammer fare, but that's my opinion. Raoul Walsh did a damned good job with it. Collins thankfully found the genre best suited to her in The Bitch and The Stud. So easy to be snarky about peplum and biblical/historical stuff, I know, but a few of us really get a kick out of it. Paul Newman went on that same snarky path about The Silver Chalice, but his role was simpering boy toy so it's no wonder. Jack Palance and Virginia Mayo probably had a different opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks