What's new

HTF Anime Discussion Part VII (1 Viewer)

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Oh, and I really think that post 3000 should be the last in this thread. 100 pages is more than long enough for a thread somebody might want to search some day! Can I get a consensus on Part VIII?

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Christopher:

I'll second it, so the motion is passed :).

James:

Magical Project S is a pretty good show for the younger set. I think Mao-Chan is also rated for 3+. I would recommend against showing Princess Mononoke to your daughter; not just for the violence, but I think for the themes as well. I've been thinking about this myself as well. My wife and I are planning on having kids soon, and I want to make sure the little Sith Lord or Sith Lady isn't warped (yet) :).

Kong:

So how many episodes of Yukikaze were on the US release? Was it the whole OVA, or just a couple of episodes?

John.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Sith-lings? :D I shall tremble before them just as I would tremble in fear of you...

Still at work, and it's one of those days... anyhow, hope to see more of kiddy grade tonight

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Alright. Here goes. I've seen the first 4 or 5 episodes of the series, and a few odd ones here and there later on in the series on Adult Swim. The episodes I saw didn't get my attention in any way whatsoever. The fact that it did not get my attention caused me to give up watching the series and do something more valuable with my time.

I didn't like FMA for the following reasons:
1. I found it incredibly boring.
2. The series loves to use one of the most common anime cliches: "Hey look at me! I've got powers and I know how to use them!" Those kind of shows tend to get on my nerves rather quickly.
3. The "comedic" parts lack intelligence, and I really can't stand the drawing style when the characters freak out about something.
4. The pseudo-philosophical junk and hokey science that populates the series makes my inner science nerd cry.

I was interested in Alphonse and his unique characteristics, but they never really seemed to showcase those qualities. Instead they just simply focus on making him a boring sidekick with few independent thoughts and whose main purpose is to throw lame jokes off of. I wish that he would be bitter and scarcastic instead of bland and lifeless. That would have made the series far more interesting and original.

FMA is really good when it comes to overall production values. It generally looks good, the animation is smooth, and the sound is usually good.

That's pretty much what I don't like about it. Flame away.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Tony, for explaining the reasoning behind your opinion. No flames are necessary, right? :) Right away I can tell you I agree with complaint #3 -- I don't care for the "SD" (super deformed) look either.

But I disagree with you on #1. I've only seen the first 2 discs, but episodes 3, 4, 6, and especially 7 were particulary well-written, in my opinion. I'm not sure what you're getting at with #2. I wouldn't say Edward uses his powers in a "showy" way; rather, he uses them only when necessary. And as for #4, even though I love studying science, and I appreciate the sci-fi genre, I accept that this is a fantasy series that features a science that simply does not exist in the real world. I thought that turning the pseudo-scientific principle into a pseudo-philosophical principle was one of the shows great strengths.

In any case, while I don't agree with your opinion of the show, I understand where you are coming from, and I appreciate that you elaborated on your opinion in a thoughtful way.

Just out of curiosity, what anime are you a fan of? (Besides Miyazaki, of course.)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I would have wrote an explanation when I first brought up that I don't like FMA. However, I did not have the time to do so. Knowing that, I just made a very blunt and concise statement.

Sure, Edward does use the powers when necessary, but how many times does that happen? I think it's quite often.

As far as my favorite animes are concerned, I would say Cowboy Bebop, Akira, and Crest Of The Stars. I like Kenshin and Trigun a lot too, but they suffer from the SD disease that is so common in anime.

Todd McF

Second Unit
Feel free to dislike it - I do appreciate your explanation, that's all I was looking for. Its a hugely popular show so when someone says it "sucks" its worth discussing.

Indulge me here:

One thing I've noticed about FMA is that they keep things extremely light until the sh*t hits the fan. Very much like Chrno Crusade. Edward gets the short jokes, gets deformed when he flips out, gets knocked down / taken out easily - until the sh*t hits the fan. Then he shifts modes and gets competent - and the series gets dead serious. The end of episode 2 and all of episode 3 are dead serious - especially after all the campy humour.

As far as the deformation - I can't stand it either. If you think FMA is bad be prepared for Chrno Crusade. That's another show that goes campy to ultra serious. Its a jarring transition.

If you watch the first 3 Full Metal Alchemist episodes in sequence the show will either hook you or not, and give you an opportunity to adjust to its style. Again its alot like Chrno Crusade - I hated the first episode but by episode #4 I was totally hooked, just like FMA.

Todd McF

Second Unit
Hey James,

Watch out for Rahxephon with your daughter. There are some pretty rough sequences in that show - death, broken bodies, lots of blood etc.

I havent introduced my 4 year old Anime yet - but I'd start with "Kiki's Delivery Service". Its an amazing movie - less scary than for the little guys than "Spirited Away".

Just my 2 cents.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
I'd agree, there are parts of Rahxephon that are pretty intense.

Maybe I should qualify my statement on Ghibli films in general with a (as usual) general disclaimer. Because I am too lazy to write up specific one for anime, I'd advocate that the parent watch the show BEFORE showing it to the child and decide what shows are appropriate, as different people find different things objectionable.

For the most part, most of the Ghibli films I've seen have a universal appeal that is apparent to almost all ages. That said, Mononoke-Hime (Princess Mononoke) and even Kaze no Tani no Nausicaa (Nausicaa in the Valley of the Wind) are probably a bit on the serious side, with the former being more violent. But I also feel that we should give kids credit for their own "adultness" and not shield them from things unnecessarily. Which is where most Ghibli Flicks by Miyazaki really excel - they combine incredible animation with imagination and a very well scripted and plotted story. The only studio similar to this in US is PIXAR's works, whose head John Lassetter (sp?) has said he was inspired by Ghibli to create such films. Where the violence is not gratuitous and an important part of the story (and the story itself- by definition - be worthy viewing material) I feel it's OK to expose a child to some violence.

This is of course a very personal decision, and as a single person, I can't and don't presume to dictate that is how others should handle this issue.

Now on to more "regular" posts - I watched Kiddy grade #3-5, and the show did seriously shape up into an interesting blend of action, politics and fun. Hope to finish it tonight.

Todd McF

Second Unit
Good point - its absolutely a personal decision. I just wanted go give him the heads up where that series heads.

Speaking of rough material - saw Kite Uncut last night. Mezzo Forte was a better flick but the gunplay in Kite was simply awesome. I loved it. Its kind of the reverse of Mezzo Forte - the violence in Kite is over the top compared to Mezzo while the sex in Mezzo was over the top compared to Kite.

Anyway, I thought Kite was great but there is a sequence at the very end that should have been executed with more dramatic effect. That was my only gripe.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Hopefully my last word on this topic ^_^;

Some other things to note is that at some point, our kids will be exposed to violence and curse words and sex and everything else - much as we were. As a parent you really can't seal off the child in a vacuum of a world where there are only happy things around. The best anyone can do is to be open, honest, and supportive of the child as well as lead by example. But how to raise a child is a very tough thing to do in any day and age - especially when both parents have to work to make money to support a family.

Anyhow, that said - I am hoping to order a few things from DDD today to finish off a few series, and start new ones.

Alanna

Second Unit
Princess Mononoke has alot of freakin' blood in it and is pretty intense. Things die... I know I wouldn't let my daughter watch it if she were four. Although I remember seeing Nausicaa when I was about six or so and it has always been a favorite since then.. Kiki is fine. Angelic Layer is probably okay too...from the teensie bit I have seen of it. Any of the Sanrio Hello Kitty DVDs. The Slayers TV series seems ok enough as well, there are some inappropriate things but very light, and nothing like what's on cable tvs these days. Stuff like that tends to zoom over right over the head anyway. Someday's Dreamers didn't seem to be overtly offensive when I watched it but may be a little too plodding for a child. The Cat Returns, Castle in the Sky, are all good titles too and will probably make more sense than Spirited Away (heck even I didn't get all of that).

I think Woo recommended Snow Fairy Sugar and Risky/Safety, which I haven't seen but seem like good shows for that age.

I'm done.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Actually, Alphonse is getting rather bitter in the current episodes, particularly since he suspects that he doesn't have the whole story about himself.

I'm really enjoying it so far.

Also, since I'm a big fan of Trigun, going from silly to serious isn't really a problem for me.

Jason

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
I'd also recommend Sailor Moon Cut/Edited Dubbed as a start, though I dislike recommending such versions. You could probably throw in Kaleido Star as well - a plot driven show with great visuals.

A site that some of you as parents may find useful, though this isn't updated with newer series.

http://www.abcb.com/parents/index.htm

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member

:emoji_thumbsup:

FMA is very serious, as far as the story. There are a lot of light comedic moments to lighten it up. I mean, watch the first episode- this is what got me hooked. This is the base of the show. Not the comedy. As far as I can tell so far, that is. This is kind of a standard anime thing. Not many shows stay dark and serious all the time.

Alanna

Second Unit
Woo: I only have the first disc of Angelic Layer so far. It seems pretty good but have been going for the box sets lately simply cos they are cheaper. :D

Other kiddy recommendations: Sailor Moon is also good and I also don't think Tenchi the Movie was that bad either from what I remember...

My highest recommendation is not even available on DVD yet in the US, and that's The Fantastic Adventures of Unico. My all time favorite kid flick and done by the guy that did Astro Boy I believe. =) Oh and how about Cardcaptor Sakura? That was pretty sweet and cool.

Tony: I have to agree with you on the stance of not like FMA. I was sooo hyped for this after all the...well...hype... and the few episodes I have seen on the Cartoon Network are dreadfully boring to say the very least. I hate the dub voice for the main character who seems to be a little punk and annoys the crap out of me. I could care less what happens to him. THe premise is unusual and cool and all the scientific stuff doesn't bother me (just reminds me of the Final Fantasy games...). Granted, I've only seen 3-4 eps but they bored me to tears. Oh yeah and have you heard the new Soilwork cd, "Stabbing the Drama"? It seems like something you would like...and I actually think it kicks major arse.

Trigun I have always wanted to see (I love the merchandise with all the lil black kitty on it, awww) but its so expensive. Blegh.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I'm less concerned about exposing kids to "sex and violece" -- though I think heavy doses of that kind of stuff are certainly inappropriate for small ones -- than I am about just mystifying, disgusting, or otherwise causing them to have a bad experience and say "blecch, don't give me that anime junk" [which of course excludes a lot of the above-mentioned material]. That is why I would recommend Mononoke, for instance, for a somewhat older audience. The plots, humour, &c. in some of the other Ghibli films are liable to be more accesible to small people.
I saw some fansubs of Sakigake! Cromatie High School, and I have to say that it must be one of the most psychotically hilarious things to come out of Japan. Just the intro gets you, the lead character solemnly warning the viewers followed by an incomprehensible song with bizarre animations. Then there are the characters, who are far wierder than even the people I went to high school with -- and that's saying a lot, considering that even ordinary high schools are freakshows and ours was anything but ordinary. Mekazawa-kun [the punk R2D2] and the gorilla are especial favourites.
Incidentally, if you have ever noticed the name "Carl Finch" in the English soundtrack credits for an anime dub [such as that for Kiddy Grade], Carl is the front man for the excellent band Brave Combo of which my uncle is a member.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks