HT speaker advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan_Whip, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Dan_Whip

Dan_Whip Agent

I'm shopping for a good set of speakers for HT use. I have a budget of about 2000, and am looking at a 5.1 system. Right now I'm looking at B&W, M&K, Paradigm, Axiom, or Difinive Technology.

What are some good systems in that price range? Is there anything else I should look at, or something I should quit looking at?

Any advice appreciated.

2. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

It looks like you're looking at the usual suspects in that price range. And for HT, I think you'll find good, solid offerings from all of them. I'd go with the manufacturer that has a sound you like more....even if you can't explain why [​IMG]
    In that price range, I'd consider getting all book-shelves and saving some of your budget for a decent SVS or HSU sub.
    Happy Hunting!
    --Steve

3. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

If you have a Klipsch dealer nearby I would at least recommend a listen. Some people love 'em, some people don't. But worth a listen either way.
    As far as the .1 subwoofer, I would not recommend the Klipsch. Like Steven said, SVS will be recommended here more than anything else.

4. Dan_Whip

Dan_Whip Agent

I definitely want front towers. I am also saving up to get a SVS, but that will have to wait a couple months.

5. Dan_Whip

Dan_Whip Agent

I forgot to mention some of the systems I didn't like: Bose, Klipsch, JBL, and Yamaha.

6. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

I'm partial to towers as well and will probably always have them for mains.

I just wanted to make sure I pointed out that (at many price points), you can get some pretty high quality book-shelf setups that will still leave a good deal of the budget left over for a quality sub to fill in the lower end.

--S

7. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Dan:

You didn't like the JBLs?

8. Dan_Whip

Dan_Whip Agent

Of the systems I listened to, the JBL's were my least favorite. It may have been the stores setup, but right away I disliked it.

The first 5 I mentioned, I liked them all (haven't heard the Axiom, but have heard many good reviews), but they are at different stores (and different states), so I can't compare them to each other. I can't decide which I like best since it's always a few days or weeks between the time I listen to one and then the next. But at the time I hear them, I really like them.

The more I read posts in the forums, the more I am leaning toward a system with no sub, and just getting a SVS. So if anyone has heard any of these 5 speakers together, what are your opinions? I know it is supposed to be whatever sounds best to me, but I'm stumped right now and want any advice.

Thanks again.

9. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

How about the Rockets or the Divas? Also, HTD Level 3 and the new Level 4s? A complete set can be had below $2000.