What's new
World Wide Stereo

HT Newb (1 Viewer)

s-twig

Auditioning
Real Name
Stu
Hello

When I saw how helpful and friendly everyone on here was I thought it would be silly of me not to ask for help. My wife and I are in the process of building a new house and we've decided to make a little media room with a home theatre setup.

The room is 3.1 metres (10.17 feet) by 4.5 metres (14.76 feet), standard ceiling heights here in Australia are 2.2 metres (7.2 feet) (I think). I hope to run a projector and 5.1 surround sound system with one of those cool bass shaker deals.

I would also like to run some speakers throughout the house for background music. I would like ceiling speakers for the alfresco area, our master bedroom and the living room. I don't think I would need to listen to different music in different rooms (that would be cool if it was an affordable option though).

Since I'm in the planning stage I've got lots of questions, construction of the house isn't too far away so I thought I better finalise the planning of what needs to be done. My brother is an electrician/data cabler, so he'll be doing the wiring for us.

I don't anticipate being able to afford decent speakers and a projector straight away and hoped to buy those items over the next twelve months. But what I wanted to do from the start was install the cabling so that the speakers can just be plugged in when I acquire them.

My questions regarding the media room.

-How far from the screen should I plan to have the projector?
-What sort of power should I be looking at in a AV receiver? (eg. Is 5x130W too much for my little room)? I was looking at the Yamaha RX-V1900 (Yamaha Music Australia - Audio Visual - Stereo Systems)

My questions regarding the rest of the house.
-How do I setup stereo speakers for each room, does it matter where left or right speakers are (sorry if that's a stupid question).
-Do I need a multizone amp or can I use a wallplate speaker attenuator in each room?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Cheers

Stu

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Anthony Alexander

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
Hey Stu,

This was a big help to me in projector throw/screen sizing.

http://www.cousinsvideo.com/Throw%20...ulator_All.htm

as far as whole house audio that is something that I have yet to mess with. I know that my 7.1 receiver can be split to 5.1 for the media room and a separate zone can be set up to play audio through the house while media plays in the room. As far as setup, again I am not sure. Hope it help....Later Man

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks