What's new

How will you handle HD-DVD blu-ray discs? (1 Viewer)

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Will regular DVD's be able to play in these new HD-DVD players? I dont have an HDTV yet, but Im planning on gettin one before SW Saga comes out on DVD.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
This question is so unrealistic it borders on being comical. How many years will it be till HD-DVD is comprable in both price and selection to current DVD? I think that four years is a generous estimate. How many of my current titles am I going to upgrade to HD? Not many. Of my current DVD collection I owned a handful of them on VHS but I certainly didn't go out and replace my whole collection the day I got a DVD player. In 2k7 If I want to watch Attack of the Clones, Die Hard or the Powerpuff Girls I'll just watch the old version. By then I'll probably be married with children anyway.

Ryan Wong

Stunt Coordinator
I hope HD-DVD will not be too expensive, as if only for rich people with HDTV setup. I wish HD-DVD will be as popular as the normal DVD today.

But I am worrying about: if people in the future buy HD-DVD like we are buying normal DVDs today, sooner or later all the cinemas will vanish because we will be getting the quality contents which are not so much different like we watch them in the cinemas.

Will this become the problem for all studios? Because nowadays many people no longer go to cinema but just buying the DVDs when they came out. The problem must be solved before HD-DVD gets popular.

Maybe someone should invent something that has better resolution and quality than films.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
How do we know that HD-DVD will be 720p? We don't have any specifics yet from any of the big players.

1080i?

720p?

1080p?

DTS?

DD?

PCM?

All I know is that if the DVD Forum trys to foist red laser discs with ultra compression on us, I will not be buying it.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks