What's new

How to tune my sub to a low freq??? (1 Viewer)

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
I'm fairly new at this stuff. I've read lots of posts on this forum, and noticed that lots and lots are saying "tuned my sub down to 20hz..." My question is how do u do that? I've check the back of my sub it has freq range of 50hz to 150hz. How do you or what do you mean by "tuned my sub down to 20hz..."? I want to know how to maximize the bass of my sub without it bottoms out... Please help... Thanks in advance...

Alex,

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Alex,

I think what you're seeing is DIYers and SVS owners. The DIYers are tuning their subs as a matter of design, and a lot of SVS owners are tuning their subs as a matter of choice (the plus cylinder models and most of the box designs by them allow you to plug some ports and select the appropriate subsonic filter). As an example, I have a 20-39PC+. The native tuning of that sub is 20 Hz, but I have a port plug in it (and corresponding filter setting) which gives my sub a 16 Hz tuning point.

The control you are looking at is the crossover. If you are using the crossover on your receiver you'd want to disable the crossover on your sub, or set is as high as possible if there is no disable switch.

-Robb

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Robb broke it down nicely. What you are looking at, Alex, is the crossover frequency at below which your sub reproduces sound. If you are using the sub-in jack on your subwoofer, turn the crossover knob as high as it will go. This way you will completely eliminate any chance of "dueling crossovers" in which you may experience frequency gaps.

The physical tuning of a sub is in the design phase. In layman's terms (sort of) the sub's tuning is affected by such parameters as enclosure volume, port area and length, etc. Some SV subs have a user-selectable tuning point by way of port plugs, which reduce the area of the port.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks