What's new

tempest box (1 Viewer)

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
I plan on making a new sub for my audio. I plan on using an adire audio tempest. What would be a good box for that sub. I do 50/50 ht and audio. How big should the box be. I can make a pretty big box. If possible i would like the thing to get low. All i need someone that has tried this before. Tell me how much the box should be after displacement and the tuning freq. Thanks so much.

ChristopherD

Stunt Coordinator
I built the vented Adire Alignment and it is more than satisfactory in my (50/50) application. I had to move it to a "less acoustically optimal" location due to SAF and it never fails to impress in in its articulation and extension.

Robert_CA

Stunt Coordinator
I also built a vented Adrie alignment Tempest powered by a 350-watt amp. My cabinet is 24 x 24 x 26.5 inches internal volume with 1 inch thick cabinet walls and a 1 1/2 inch baffle (214L tuned to about 15Hz). It looks just fine in my room size-wise! If you are building a vented one, you could just follow the Adire application notes on their web site and design your cabinet the way you like. I'm very happy with mine.;)

Jonathan_D

Stunt Coordinator
For a dissenting voice (;) ), I built the 122L sealed alignment. As I mentioned in another thread, even though I probably watch movies and TV more than listen to music (kids), my priorities were musical accuracy and the ability to more easily integrate with ported main speakers. Determine your priorites, read the Tempest alignment white papers and then go for it. :emoji_thumbsup:

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Me too! I chose the sealed MidQ design as the best compromise between music and HT. If you add a BFD you can set a different curve for movies than music.

Jonathan_D

Stunt Coordinator
If you add a BFD you can set a different curve for movies than music.
Exactly! For music I have a "flat" curve and for the movies I have a curve with more of a "hump" at 35hz. My daughter's boyfriend had cut the MDF panels for my sub. Last night was the first time he'd been over since I built it, for dinner and a movie at any rate. We watched the X-Men 1.5 DVD. The sound from the sub scared him at first! :D

I have hardwood floors and put teflon slides on the bottom of the sub's legs. The damn thing skates over the floor during LFE intense passages. I've got to get some of those rubber cups to set the feet in so it won't slide anymore! :emoji_thumbsup:

Robert_CA

Stunt Coordinator
My sub was based on fellow member Karl FS's excellent box design construction techniques. See his embedded link at "Tempest Constriction Pics",April 2,2003 or go directly to his site for pictures at:
"http//members.cox.net/prenialstroke"
My design is simply an adaptation of the SSB4 vented 194L design found at theAdireaudio.com site.
When you go to the site, click on the Tempest driver to and then click on the "Tempest Vented Application Notes" to download the pdf file. Mine is simply a little taller vertically for 214L(hence the 26.5" box height based on the design an pages 6 & 7) and I used the other design specs found on page 9. Instead of the Brazilian cherry,I used dark mahogany on all my corners and inlaid 1 inch walnut strips onto the top of my sub. In addition, I also bolted a "SVS" style base plate onto the 4" solid oak legs. It really makes it a lot easier to move the HEAVY SUB around on the carpet. It's my hope to get some pics onto the site in the next week or so. I gotta borrow a friend's digital camera to do it. I hope this helps.
:)

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
everyone thanks for the reply. I was checking out the ones adire audio have on their site i was seeing if you guys thought they were pretty good. About how much power is minimum for this sub.

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
also on the vented enclosure would i be better off using 2 circular ports or 1 slot port. Ive always had good luck with slot ports. Cheaper to make also cause then you dont have to buy any ports you can make it with wood.

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
one more thing im using winisd to design on the box. When you tell the program that you are going to use 2 ports and a certain diameter for a certain tuning freq. It gives the length of what the port needs to be. The length they give you is that for each port or is that the length of the ports together.

Aaron_Morris

Stunt Coordinator
As far as minimum power, about 50w for each VC would be a good starting point. However, more is nice :) With the price that it is, the PE 250 plate amp should be a definate concideration.

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
How would the PE 250 W plate amp compare to say, a Peavey CS400 amp in bridged mode? I ask because I'm replacing my Peavey with the PE 250, and am hoping I'm not reducing my output. Also...any recommendations on how to wire the PE250 to the Tempest?

I'll get some new pictures when I'm done. This is in my Sonotube Behemoth.

Aaron_Morris

Stunt Coordinator
The way to wire the PE amp would be parallel the coils (assuming dual 8ohm coils) so that the amp sees a 4 ohm total load.

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
IIRC, the Peavey is a 200W per channel amp, in bridged mode its 400W RMS into 8ohms.

I believe the PE should be cleaner, however...

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Well, the PE amp actually puts out 280W so you'll have a little more than 25% less power. From sims it looks like you'll be getting around 1.5dB or so less output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks