What's new

How to stop the ringing (1 Viewer)

Russell R

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
I have been listening to my 142.5|21.5hz Shiva and notice that there is ringing in the enclosure. It is a 14" diameter PVC pipe. What can I use to deadon the enclosure? Egg crate foam or polyfill batting lining the enclosure? How will this affect the overall design?

I placed a Nerf Football in the port to create a sealed sub and I did not notice the ringing. So, what does this mean?

Does sonotube or concrete forms made out of cardboard ring? There is a thread about group delay. Could this be a function of group delay?

Thanks,
Russ

A sealed sub with stuffing does sound good... Maybe a Sealed Tempest or Maelstrom...

I am lik

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Me thinks you need to damp that enclosure. It could be done from the inside or the outside. Consider the asphalt based damping sheets available from Parts Express on the inside and/or indoor/outdoor carpeting on the outside. I've built a Shiva-based Sonosub and an AV8 based tube, a little different from your design, yet I've never experienced ringing. I have experienced resonance in a ported Sonotube design. Perhaps the stiffness of the PVC contributes to that, being a material that may get into sympathetic vibration with some of the higher harmonics.

Russell R

Stunt Coordinator
I had some batting lying around the house and I glued it to the walls of the tube. This fixed the ringing. Just 1/2" of polyfil on the walls made all the difference in the world. I am thinking about changing my tune from 21.5 to 18.1hz for testing purposes. This is the EBS tune anyway.

Thanks,
Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks