What's new

How should I finish the AV1s (1 Viewer)

AlexKunec

Stunt Coordinator
I ordered an AV1 kit from GR Research, and im not sure what kind of a finish I should put on it.

I put about 4 coats of Black Gloss, and sanded between every coat but now it looks like crap. Every imperfection is visible, and there are plenty. I need to put on something that hides my little mistakes, and isn't very expensive. I also have to make somekind of a grill for it. Any suggestions?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Alex,

If you need something cheap, then you might as well just use a textured black finish. They are the most forgiving and will cover up a lot of sins.

Brian

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Alex, Brian is correct. I understand Rustoleum has a black textured (crinkle?) spray paint. Some guys have used pickup bed liner spray bought at auto parts dealers.
I would not do a gloss paint finish. The surface has to be perfect and there's lots of labor hours in the wet sanding and recoating process. Next time try laminate or veneer.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Rust Oleum has a black textured spray paint that's really made for grills, garden furniture, etc. that I have used. It's a really light texture and as long as you use primer underneath it should cover most flaws pretty well.

They also make a Hammerite (or something like that) spray paint that gives a more metal finish but I have not used it yet.

You should be able to find either at Wal-Mart, Lowe's, HD, etc. in a variety of colors.

Brian

Zac_F

Agent
You might also want to consider Gloss black Formica or other brand of laminate. Its not too difficult to apply and it will give you the look you want. Get a laminate trimming bit for your router if you don't already have one.

Martice

Screenwriter
Hi All. I am watching this thread closely because I have not yet had my cabinets finished so your ideas are being noted. I was going to have the autobody shop guy do it but I chose to go with someone who has done work for me before in the past.

Hi Brian. Have you finished your AV1+'s yet?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Hi Martice,

No I haven't finished the A/V-1+'s yet. I do have all the material cut out for them though. I just have to finish a few other projects first. I will be finishing them in cherry veneer with a red mahogany dye though. Should look awesome!

Brian

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Martice, I'm finishing a pair of A/V3's for a GR Research customer here in Austin. I'll apply the oak veneer, then a coat of sanding sealer (because of the open grain nature of oak), then a light sanding, then a wipe-on gel stain. The customer wanted to match his current oak furniture, so he brought me a piece of it and I matched it with a shade of Bartley's gel stain. I'll finish off with a couple of coats of General Finishes HP water-based gloss polyurethane.
If you decide to go the paint route, definitely have a professional do it, probably an auto body shop, but it will cost you. Post photos when you're finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks